my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » B17 II Flying Fortress   » BIT OF INFO ON REAL EXPIERIANCE

Author Topic: BIT OF INFO ON REAL EXPIERIANCE
Flydaddy
Member # 8776

posted 12-28-2000 09:38 PM     Profile for Flydaddy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If some of you dont know already, several B-17's tour the country on the airshow circuit. You can take rides for around a contribution of $500.00, thats how they keep them going. Most operators, Collins Foundation, CAF, etc offer scheduled flights during local airshows off thier websites for contributions. "Out House Mouse" being restored in Kissamee FL is offering the required qualifacation flights for $10,000, will be certified for the B-17 (Heavy Bombardment Aircraft by USAAC and FAA standards)(must have a multi- engine rating (comm or pri) before you can apply). If there is anything more exciting and as a learning expieriance for this sim I dont know what it is. The vibration, the noise, (no -25 cold though)moving around (without 60lbs of high altitude gear) is a challenge. Just try to squeeze thru the bomb racks between the radio compartment and cockpit(again with out gear and your walk around bottle), then invision having seconds to grab your chute put it on and get to an exit before the centrifical force of the spin pins you agaist the fuselage for the 6 min fall. Stand in the waist gun positions and try to track a target with a 65lb M2 against a 150mph slipstream. Watch the pilots constantly tweeking the engine controls and trim (no formation to worry about, prop wash, etc) now imagine a 21 year old pilot doing all this for real. For $500+ you too can feel it for real. Worth checking out, you all spend that much on your new system add -ons you can wait for the next vidcard or whatever.
Posts: 12 | From: Geneva NY US | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
CavScout19D
Member # 7238

posted 12-29-2000 08:05 AM     Profile for CavScout19D   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, really brings it all to life. No matter how realistic a game looks/plays nothing can ever compare to the real thing.
Posts: 138 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
LakeCountryFireworks
Member # 8433

posted 12-29-2000 07:55 PM     Profile for LakeCountryFireworks   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Flydaddy,

When "Fuddy Duddy" was stationed in Geneseo my co-worker was with Griffith Oil selling the airshow fuel and such. As a thank you they would take up "John" and all his family and just fly around the finger lakes abit! Now you can still see and do that ( Buy rides in her ) in Elmira of'coarse, but what a treat! I have flown those AT-6's out of Geneseo in dogfight's and all, not cheap, but it's worth every penny. This sim is great as is EAW, as real as it needs to be, and no puke to clean up after yourself!

------------------
Lake Country Fireworks For Me!;
"Gentle when stroked...Feirce when provoked" ; "Take the war calmly"

Posts: 5 | From: Farmington,NY, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.