my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » B17 II Flying Fortress   » Should I order it with my system?

Author Topic: Should I order it with my system?
Mosi
Member # 3248

posted 12-24-2000 07:09 PM     Profile for Mosi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would like to ask the experts here on this board if I should order this fine looking sim (I am not shocked by bugs or so... ), my specifications are:

Intel Pentium II,400MHz
128 MB RAM
Elsa Erazor TNT II
+ more than enough HD-space
- money for an upgrade...

I saw it here in an online-store in Switzerland for sFr. 68.- and will be off to buy it as soon as I know that I do not have only a slide-show on my PC...

Thanks.

------------------
"Do first the necessary, then the possible, and suddenly you reach the impossible" Franz of Assisi

Mosi's EAW-Page

[This message has been edited by Mosi (edited 12-24-2000).]

Posts: 1040 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
SPOT
Member # 453

posted 12-24-2000 07:46 PM     Profile for SPOT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mosi-
I've seen your work and visited your site. You are indeed a contributor.
Down and dirty - get more RAM and wait till she's patched. I'm sure your time is consumed with EAW - B-17II if she runs on your system will be something quite differnt to what you are use to - aside from the FM issue. But if you experience CTD like a number of people are experiencing the time you normally use to make those great add ons for EAW may be consumed in your tweakin and fiddling with the computer to get B-17II to fly and fly consistently.
IMHO.

PIII
900MHZ
256 RAM
40.GB HD
NoCD crack
NVidiaVanta Card (used latest and earlier drivers)
21 inch E400 Sony Flat Screen 1024x768 -32
Cacheman (256 MGb and used up to 800 MGB)system resources are 78-81% when I boot Boeing up
ENDitALL (systray and explorer only)
Used generic & Viking 1's River and Roads File
Created my own 'ImageCache' file with notepad(read only)
Played with sound and video configurations (balanced, detailed etc.)
Only appreciable change was fewer freezes and CTD with recommended NVINDA driver 4.12.
But that made MIG ALLEY and my BoB demo not load. Getting to many freezes especially when I click on a crew position when the red lettered radio/intercom messages come in.

There is something in B-17II that will not allow it to play consistently and reliably.
As I said get her when she's patched.

[This message has been edited by SPOT (edited 12-24-2000).]

Mosi
Member # 3248

posted 12-25-2000 03:48 AM     Profile for Mosi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dear SPOT

Thank you for your honest opinion. I am hungry to fly a B-17 since the days with SWOTL (long, long time ago...).
I will follow your advice and get some more RAM, I guess 64 MB more won't hurt. Especially because Il-2 is also something that I am looking for (but then I maybe need a more powerful CPU).

Mig Alley runs smoothly on my system, just got the sim a week ago, and I wait to install the BoB-demo. After years of EAW it's time for some "fresh air" ...

Thanks again.

------------------
"Do first the necessary, then the possible, and suddenly you reach the impossible" Franz of Assisi

Mosi's EAW-Page

[This message has been edited by Mosi (edited 12-25-2000).]

Posts: 1040 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.