my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » B17 II Flying Fortress   » gForce2 is some card, huh.

Author Topic: gForce2 is some card, huh.
Casey's job
Member # 2132

posted 12-22-2000 10:43 AM     Profile for Casey's job   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Funny how the newly-posted list of B-17 bugs and fixes from Wayward says that many reports of graphics problems are coming from gForce2 owners, many of whom have resorted to ripping out their gForce and putting an old TNT2 back in!

TNT2 runs the game very well, they say.

I just don't get it. I would expect the reverse; that 18-month old TNT2 cards should have problems with a brand new sim and a shiny new, $400 gForce card should run it like a charm- I guess not.

I'm very sad to see 3dfx closing shop!

------------------

Ragtag_131st
Member # 8195

posted 12-22-2000 10:51 AM     Profile for Ragtag_131st   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You probably don't know much about Hardware do you?
It's the way the game is coded and it was originally optimised for TNT cards because Geforce was not availabel back then.
In my oppinion this is a result of a closed beta test testing it on a smaller amount and varied systems.It should have been tested on a bigger variety of systems as the newer Geforce cards, motherboards and CPU's.

Wolverine
Member # 3469

posted 12-22-2000 10:53 AM     Profile for Wolverine   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I beg to differ Ragtag...way back when this game first started getting discussed on these boards Wayward stated that the Geforce series would be the best. They stated that the T&L and many other features in the game were optimized FOR GEFORCE series cards. Guess they changed their minds?
Overkill
Member # 5169

posted 12-22-2000 11:07 AM     Profile for Overkill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wolverine,

Yeah that is what I thought also. I could have sworn reading an interview from Wayward, perhaps at some convention like E3, that stated that they were optimizing the graphics engine to take into account the latest and greatest in 3D technology such as T&L. I mean, hell, that is why I went out and bought a GeForce 2.

I have also been very supportive of Wayward and I have pretty much ignored the flames here and at Bombs Away, but when I read the common problems and fixes article I was astounded. Many Geforce 2 owners report problems. And they say to rememdy the situation go to TNT2. Not quite. I am not going to unhook everything on my computer, delete drivers, yank the hood off the computer case, take out the GF2 and slap in a TNT2, reload drivers and start up B17II. That is ridiculous. What if I want to fly another sim like F18 or F4 or MA or well the list goes on. I'll have to repeat the process. No, my Geforce 2 is running great. I can even run FSAA 3X3 on almost all my sims without any noticeable frame rate degradation so why would I expect less from B17II?

For what it is worth, I will buy this sim when these issues are resolved with a patch. Until then it is a no go!

Posts: 597 | From: Midlothian, TX, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Viking1
Member # 5

posted 12-22-2000 11:36 AM     Profile for Viking1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's a bit weird. I've used three different flavors of GF boards (MX, GF2 and Ultra) and had very few problems. I had some stuttering in game which cleared up when I played with virtual memory settings and added more memory. Other than that, even the various driver versions didn't seem to cause any problems.. (6.31, 6.49 and now 7.17)
Posts: 917 | From: Kelowna BC CANADA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 12-22-2000 02:40 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've changed my mind. I'm not buying B17-2. I think Hasbro screwed the pooch on this one from everything I've read. I don't want a rollmodel game. I want action. I've got a GF2GTS64mg Card and also dropped in a PIII800 and another stick of 128 ram and let me tell you EAW has never been so pretty. Running both EAW & CFS2 at 1600x1200 and they scream. Set ground detail on low in EAW with FSAA maxed and locked down on card setup and everything else maxed and there's no shimmering and no jaggies and man is it pretty. CFS2 at 32 bit color at 50 fps with everything maxed and scenery on extremely dense and it's smooth and the card wants even more. The GF2GTS don't like them lower resolutions like 800x600. It acts like it wants to choke on anything less than 1600x1200x32. My former TNT1 choked on 800x600x32 bit. HEHE. It didn't like 32bit at all. Not so with the GF2. It's like a race car. It wants to go wide open or it'll get all carboned up. Anyway, I sure like this little Hercules GTS. Guess I'll be picking up FS2000 since I gave away FS98 last year. Been missing that cessna.
Posts: 1291 | From: Suttons Bay, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ScabFace
Member # 609

posted 12-22-2000 02:47 PM     Profile for ScabFace   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...worked fine with my geforce2/32 also...graphics were outstanding: a visual feast...
ScabFace

Posts: 92 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Arclight
Member # 7244

posted 12-22-2000 02:56 PM     Profile for Arclight   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My GF2 32 works great on 17-2

------------------

Posts: 73 | From: A Small Cow & Oil Town Out West (An Old P-38 Base) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Casey
Member # 873

posted 12-22-2000 10:42 PM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ragtag,

Your misinformation has already been corrected by Wolverine and Overkill (thank you) so I don't have to bother.

But thanks for the attempted insult- For future reference, it is possible to discuss things without saying "na na, you're stupid."

Happy Holidays

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
colt51
Member # 8207

posted 12-22-2000 11:45 PM     Profile for colt51   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I do not understand why people are having problems that are using GF2 cards!.

My system is P3 660, 192 MB RAM PC100, GF2 ULtra, DX8.0 and using Win 98 SE.

I bought the sim the moment it hit the online stores. I have now been flying for about 30 hrs. I have not seen many problems, except that when the MEs start flying really close, sometimes it slows down, but that is I believe from the SWAP file management. Otherwise I never even crashed to desktop.

The sim is amzaing and I agree with combat.sim's review about it.

RogueRunner
Member # 5769

posted 12-22-2000 11:49 PM     Profile for RogueRunner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Colt and others,

The problem arises if you have a combo of the Geforce and ASUS or VIA chipset motherboards. I have this problem and it's very very annoying.

The solution posted was to disable Player Information plague, how do one do just that???

Skywalker
Member # 3426

posted 12-22-2000 11:55 PM     Profile for Skywalker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just had to post it again:

The game was stuttering on my machine, and it used to take about 8-12 sec to move from station to station.
Now the game is running unbelievably smooth, and changing station takes 2-5 sec.
The difference in the game especially all the gun positions is unbelievable, and the terrain rendering is almost unseen.
And all this on a Geforce 1(CL 32DDR)
That’s what I did:

1.Since the game didn’t start from the CD I had to use the no-cd patch but i do keep the
CD in the Drive and for a wired reason the sim uses it.
2. Detonator 6.50 –installed Directx 8 again after.

3.what made the biggest difference was upping the res from [email protected] to [email protected]

4.forced antialiasing 2x2(low detail)
That worked for me reverse tactic- PUSE YOUR CARD TO THE LINIT...

Noting to do with speed you can always play with the setting of the color correction/brightness/contrast Etc. my B17 world looks better now then all the screenshots I saw so far. Out of the box it was too bright and the color was too saturated.

Now if the game will stop crashing every time I press C I’ll be so lucky.

PIII [email protected]
Asus P3V4X
392 MB- 256 PC133 128 PC100 (I know)
Geforce1 DDR X4 not O/C
SB Live X-gamer
Etc…

Posts: 75 | From: NYC NY USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
RSColonel_131st
Member # 7607

posted 12-23-2000 05:59 AM     Profile for RSColonel_131st   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
RougeRunner, CTRL+H willremove the HUd, which solved the problem for some guys.

And, other reports say, If u have enough RAM (200 +) than delete the graphics cache of the game, thats what the slow redraw comes from.

Try it, it can't hurt.

Posts: 310 | From: Austria | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
RSColonel_131st
Member # 7607

posted 12-23-2000 06:03 AM     Profile for RSColonel_131st   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
and, BTW, Ragtag is not wrong. They might have stated that they will optimize the engine for the newer cards. But most of the code was written like 1 and a half year ago, when GF was not standard. Maybe they have planned to adapt the engine later, when DX8 and the newest GF cards are out, but that was the time Hasblo jumped in and told them to get it on the market. I for one guess that there was very little optimizing in the graphics engine at the end ov development (as u can see when running DX8...loosk like they had no time to fit to actual drivers)
Posts: 310 | From: Austria | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xracer
Member # 7631

posted 12-23-2000 06:39 AM     Profile for Xracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a Gateway AMD 900 256 RAM with a GeForce 2 GTS 64mb and eveything runs smooth as silk, no stuttering or waiting to switch gun positions, no tweaking needed that i have noticed so far.....
Posts: 6 | From: Blanchard, OK, US | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 12-23-2000 07:43 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok *another* GeForce 2 owner with no CTDs (If i want one i can create one!)

Played 2 weeks with a V3 upgraded to a GeForce 2MX played another 2weeks ZERO problems.

The T&L looks wonderfull turn it off and you notice the difference.

The problem is (as RogueRunner says) with the MoBo/GeForce combo.
I would advise you to read this first before blaming any software?
You can read the HARD facts here: http://www.insanehardware.com/articles.php?i=00003

Tracer

------------------
"Flying is the second greatest thing known to man!
The first is landing!!"

Posts: 681 | From: Edinburgh,Scotland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 12-23-2000 08:25 AM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There's also a reported problem with the GF2 and the Vortex2 sound card chipset. That's why when I upgraded my computer to a GF2, I got rid of my Montego II A3D. Replaced it with an SBLive5.1. There's some discussion of this conflict at SharkyExtreme.
Posts: 1291 | From: Suttons Bay, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Private_Ryan
Member # 8012

posted 12-23-2000 03:40 PM     Profile for Private_Ryan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi folks,

I have a TNT2 card, and planning on upgrading soon, but now I should not do this?
Unbelievable!
This would be the first game in history of gaming where one should "downgrade" instead of "upgrade"...

Posts: 63 | From: Holland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snapdad2112
Member # 2780

posted 12-23-2000 08:16 PM     Profile for Snapdad2112     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just got the game today.

My specs:
P3 800eb
256mb RAM
GeForce2 32mb DDR
SB Live!

Ok, the game installed just fine. It loaded up just fine. I configured it just fine.

I went to the first training mission, taxi and takeoff.

Massive graphic fragmentation going on.
I look at the instrument view (pressing 'i') and every single piece of equipment that can be moved or wiggled or switched on or off was popping in and out of view (basically disappearing.)

Anyone having this? I went to an external view, and my plane would have the same problems... you'd see the b-17 shape just fine, but then you'd get these graphic fragments that connected basically everything from the outside engines all the way to the tail, creating sort of a wedge shape, like a -\/- shape.

Uh oh.

Snap

Posts: 69 | From: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snapdad2112
Member # 2780

posted 12-23-2000 10:16 PM     Profile for Snapdad2112     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, the 6.47 drivers fixed the 'artifact' problem i was having...

Cool.

Neat game, just had my first CTD with it though. I was trying to go to the navigator compartment view I think.

I should disable some other apps however.

Posts: 69 | From: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.