my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » B17 II Flying Fortress   » In game, but showing desktop

Author Topic: In game, but showing desktop
JustFree_03
Member # 242

posted 12-21-2000 10:03 PM     Profile for JustFree_03   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When I bought the game, I was using 96 MB RAM, the game worked great, I never had a CTD.

Today I had some people upgrade my PC to 192MB RAM, when I hit "play game", it showed the ball-turret picture, then all that happened, it seemed, was that I could hear the music, upon further investigation, I discovered that I was actually in-game, because when I randomly clicked the mouse, I could hear the clicks from the interface, and none of the desktop buttons were responding. I hit control-esc and the B-17 tab appeared, so I clicked on it and I saw a big gray screen and the blue bar at the top with the title.

Does anybody else get this problem and can somebody help? All my other games work.

Posts: 74 | From: Beaverton, Oregon, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Major Bugs
Member # 8224

posted 12-21-2000 11:29 PM     Profile for Major Bugs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Justfree03,
if you go over to the bombsaway forum you might find an answer to your problem. www.bombs-away.net is their url I think. they have a guy named iggi something who apparently is the top doggie on this game.
Pretty smart person. Kinda funny too.
Maybe that guys name is siggi but I think it is iggi. he might be able to help you.

Posts: 43 | From: Toonville, TV | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
RSColonel_131st
Member # 7607

posted 12-22-2000 06:27 AM     Profile for RSColonel_131st   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
IT is SIGGI, and yes, we help most people out there. BUT such a strange thing was not reported by any people before as far as I know. Sounds not like one of the known bugs of this game. I suggest, u check our drivers again, especialy the graphic card one...that might do the trick. If not, feel free to visit us at www.bombs-away.net

nothing against combatsim, but for pure B-17, THAT is the ultimate forum.

Posts: 310 | From: Austria | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
JustFree_03
Member # 242

posted 12-22-2000 09:49 AM     Profile for JustFree_03   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I did post there, and I've been going to that site since '98, I'm a Navigator.
Blond_Knight
Member # 67

posted 12-22-2000 03:01 PM     Profile for Blond_Knight     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
JF, I think you have the same prob I had when I first tried to upgrade my RAM, I knew that 100mz RAM would work in my 66mz Mobo, but what I didnt know was that this Packardbell Mobo doesnt let you "Dutch load" the RAM, ie all 66mz or all 100mz, but no mixture. Most games ran well, but in real memory intensive games like SDOE, Id get a hard lockup everytime about 1 minute into the flight.
I would try this:
To ensure its related to the new stick(s) of mem remove them, and see if you still have probs. If its OK then you either have a bad stick o' RAM, or an incompatibility with the Mobo. Hey, buying the wrong RAM has happened to the best of us.

------------------
See-Decide-Attack-Reverse

Posts: 1093 | From: Richmond Va - Capital of the Confederacy | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Arclight
Member # 7244

posted 12-22-2000 03:11 PM     Profile for Arclight   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Try your new ram in a buddy's computer. NEVER buy a Packard Bell.

------------------

Posts: 73 | From: A Small Cow & Oil Town Out West (An Old P-38 Base) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Blond_Knight
Member # 67

posted 12-22-2000 04:20 PM     Profile for Blond_Knight     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL! Not much of a worry now that they've gone outta business.

------------------
See-Decide-Attack-Reverse

Posts: 1093 | From: Richmond Va - Capital of the Confederacy | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
JustFree_03
Member # 242

posted 12-24-2000 02:41 PM     Profile for JustFree_03   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
bump
JustFree_03
Member # 242

posted 12-26-2000 07:31 PM     Profile for JustFree_03   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
bump
JustFree_03
Member # 242

posted 12-27-2000 04:39 PM     Profile for JustFree_03   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
bump

JustFree_03
Member # 242

posted 12-28-2000 05:04 PM     Profile for JustFree_03   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
bump
wingralf
Member # 8998

posted 12-29-2000 08:19 PM     Profile for wingralf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
got the same problem, did the drivers thing, changed vir mem, and edited system.ini ...hate to say but looks like a great SDOE start only took a few months for them to fix but game died

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.