my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » B17 II Flying Fortress   » Keep getting CTD.....help please

Author Topic: Keep getting CTD.....help please
masterskop
Member # 8795

posted 12-21-2000 03:44 PM     Profile for masterskop   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I'm ready to wait until Jane's comes out with their own version of B17-II! I rarely had any crashes with their products, except for the win95 ver. of ATF Gold. I have all their games and no crashes. And Janes' patches worked great. I know that I'm new to this site and new to the game, and I really love this sim. It's GREAT! I get crashes now every 20 minutes.

My set up is this:
1) 500mb swap file. B17 is loaded on the same drive as windows. I did have it loaded on my 20gig WD. Had the same problems.
2) AMD [email protected] ooohaah what overclocking! and a KA7-100 (KA7-ry.b01 bios)
3)256 mb Mushkin 133 rev3 222 ram. The ram in the bios is set to turbo. I don't think that this will have an effect on the game.
4) Voodoo3 3000. Driver is the 1.05v. Just download the 1.07 ver. Is this a better driver. I've heard many using the June ver. 1.04? In my control panel, under advanced settings, I changed my "desktop" to run "glide" instead. Should this be set back to "desktop"? I have the size set to 960 x 720. Should this be bigger? Also running at 16 bit high. On the vsync I have both the "Don't sync buff swaps to monitor refresh rates for Glide and Direct3D."
5) 8gig maxtor and 20gig WD
6)LS120, 1cdrom, 1 cdrw
7) 10/100 ethernet card for cable modem

Need more suggestions before the game goes on the shelf and wait for the patch to fix it. I really like to play this.

anvil
Member # 7613

posted 12-21-2000 07:15 PM     Profile for anvil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
get the no cd patch it will solve yer problems...
Posts: 31 | From: Woodland Park, Co, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
masterskop
Member # 8795

posted 12-21-2000 07:34 PM     Profile for masterskop   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Where can I get the no cd patch and PLEASE give me the step by step installation instructions on loading the no cd patch. I don't use them. New to this whole setup. Love the game...for about 20min. I'm changing out my settings once again. Nothing has worked so far. I'll wait for the instructions. Hate to sound ignorant. Just love flight sims to death...wife is ready to kill me...literally!

quote:
Originally posted by anvil:
get the no cd patch it will solve yer problems...

Jordi
Member # 2937

posted 12-21-2000 10:27 PM     Profile for Jordi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Check this link to teh updated HELP File.

http://www.combatsim.com/ubb/Forum23/HTML/001024.html

Jordi

RSColonel_131st
Member # 7607

posted 12-22-2000 06:31 AM     Profile for RSColonel_131st   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If u want my personal Guess, after I read like 30 or 40 postings of other guys with problems (and actually solved some of them)...

It might be ur swapfile. I had 600 MB, and was crashing randomly after some time in the game. Now I have 2 GB, kinda strange, but it seems to help.

The no CD patch itself is not the important thing AFAIK, but the .dll file it comes with. people reported that this .dll file replacing the original one has solved there CTDs.

BTW, janes dont seem to make any new cool WW2 sim, or missed I something?

[This message has been edited by RSColonel_131st (edited 12-22-2000).]

Posts: 310 | From: Austria | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
masterskop
Member # 8795

posted 12-22-2000 07:47 AM     Profile for masterskop   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I changed the swap file to 1gig (1024mb) on the "C" drive where windows and B17 are on. The game is run...alittle choppy...a few glitches here and there. Before the change I had the sound card hardware to its minumum. Hardly any sound from the machineguns! because of this but the game did run up to 20 before crashing and that was with a 500mb swap file. Now I flew for about 15 minutes with the 1gig swap file w/ the new dll file and crashed. The problem was with the joy stick. I'm using a CH Flightstick pro and while I was shooting down just about everything I press the left button on the joy stick and crashed to the desktop. Is this a problem that can be fix by the new patch? Und so weiter...ein bisch'ne deutsch hier...Wie kann man die Programme ,,Cacheman" und ,,HypersnapDX4" benutzen? Ich habe keine Idee, wie ich diese Programme benutzen soll. Die deutsche Sprache ist mir sehr interesant, aber ich buchstabiere die Woerter nicht so gut.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.