my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » B17 II Flying Fortress   » A Tweaking success story.......so great now :-)

Author Topic: A Tweaking success story.......so great now :-)
JV_44 Wilder
Member # 7646

posted 12-21-2000 03:14 PM     Profile for JV_44 Wilder   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Background:

asus a7v 1005e beta bios (the best)
t-bird 1000 o/c to 1100
all devices except ultra100/scsi dissabled in bios boot
gforce2 mx creative with 6.47 nvmax set to balanced preset
sblive
384 meg pc100 ram o/c to 110
cd-rom set to master on ata
12gb quantum bigfoot ultra ata100
win98 se
cacheman set to power user

B17 2
1024 res 32bit colour...all set to detail
slightly edited r+rdb file....makes attack of axis intense
graphics cache file made read only and a copy notepad file put in folder where graphics cache file is (see post below)
aureal 3d enabled
t/t enabled
no fsaa

With this setup b172 runs like a dream....stuttery fighters all but gone...little/no ground/sky redraw AT ALL?
hard drive not hit much after first few seconds
position swop delay 1/2 seconds. Honestly this game when it runs is sooo fantastic. The immersion factor is scary at times especially if you tweak the R+Rdb file to include more interceptors........I could go on about the great stuff in this sim now that after nearly 3 weeks it is running SWEEEEEEEET!

Believe me when I say "Stick with it guys...you will get it to run and it will be everything you believe it will be!"

------------------
Tonight we drink...For tomorrow we ride on fresh horses!

Posts: 91 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dickby
Member # 2950

posted 12-21-2000 03:47 PM     Profile for Dickby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah,sure,with a rig like that you could get a dead horse to run !!
Dickby

Posts: 108 | From: Trumbull,Ct U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
gbarclay
Member # 1212

posted 12-21-2000 05:25 PM     Profile for gbarclay   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ya! Right!

With a rig like that I guess you would be a lttle ticked off if it didn't run.

How much did it cost you [in horses] just to run this sim?

Posts: 485 | From: Surrey BC Canada | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
JV_44 Wilder
Member # 7646

posted 12-21-2000 05:58 PM     Profile for JV_44 Wilder   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ouch!

Well it did cost a bit.....but when it's a hobby like any other you spend a bit on it...about 600 ($900) and not just to run this sim but others now and in the future. If B17 had been all we expected then I imagine everyone would upgrade to experience it(cash permitting of course)

I've got friends into home cinema and they spend far more than me on pc stuff........

Hey I posted my specs to be helpful to people because I had all the problems with this sim that people reported. I'd upgrade several months before b172 was released, bought it day of UK release and was P**SED! with it......so I spend ages surfing around sites finding all the info I could about my system and the game (after all my rig; as you said could run a dead horse) :-) and the result is that now my rig runs this game almost as I would expect it to.

People with Asus/t-bird systems may also be P**SED! with the game and may be pulling their hair out.............I just wanted to save them some time.........

Oh, by the way it's DX8 incase you're interested.

thanks...a 34 year old family man with a passion for my family,flightsims,beer....not necessarily in that order :-)

Posts: 91 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
SPOT
Member # 453

posted 12-21-2000 10:00 PM     Profile for SPOT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
JV44-
Don't worry about comments. Even I complained about the hardware requirements when this sim/rpg was first reviewed - but I bought it, despite my misgivings and forum comments. Yeah I bought it (pg.60, manual - middle of page in bold VIEW ROUTE MAP ) and I got the rig to
run it. (900MHZ,286RAM, 40 gigHD etc.) WillitRun? WeShallSee.
But the point of this post is that the Battle of Britain demo is running just as nicely in rigs half my capacity. (And freezing in some with comprable power)
Baring any hardware problems or software bugs some people can't run sim BECAUSE THEY DON'T CONFIGURE THERE SYSTEMS PROPERLY or TUNE UP THEIR RIG.

Horsepower, software issues and hardware configurations are important - but nowhere near as important as the person behind the keyboard.

Don't reproach JV_44 because of his system - his experience can help you more then your cpu. Besides envy doesn't do any good.

Signed
A 47 year old man

[This message has been edited by SPOT (edited 12-21-2000).]

SPOT
Member # 453

posted 12-22-2000 12:54 AM     Profile for SPOT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Loaded her up - No CTD - will need some tweakin. Some stuttering. No show stoppers Cruise this forum and BombsAway-
but my initial impression of B-17II.
Creepy.
Screenshots do not do it justice.
This isn't a sim - it's RPG.
What little I played with I KNOW I'm going to feel some dread when the real show starts.
Probably check out the pilots seat - I can fly a B-17 ACES HIGH and WARBIRDS.
But being part of the 'crew'
Hmmm
Might experiment in this area this week with a Microsoft DualStrike. Since it's RPG (for me) that would give it a more 'organic' 3D feel.
Don't know if that will work.
Hey that's no stranger then controling a 'virtual human' with a mechanical keyboard, joystick, mouse.

[This message has been edited by SPOT (edited 12-22-2000).]

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.