my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » B17 II Flying Fortress   » Stuttering problems??. Strange, working solution here! (Graphic cache ISN'T deleted

Author Topic: Stuttering problems??. Strange, working solution here! (Graphic cache ISN'T deleted
tinfish
Member # 8465

posted 12-21-2000 08:31 AM     Profile for tinfish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Stuttering problems??. Strange, working solution here! (Graphic cache ISN'T deleted by B17!)

----

Check this out!

Tin

---

Leaky_Valve wrote:--

After playing B17 2 with my Voodoo 3 for far too long, i decided it was time to upgrade. So yesterday afternoon i went and got myself a 3D Prophet GeForce 2 MX.
Upon installing it in my system, upgrading the drivers and playing B17 i immediately noticed that the game was silky smooth in overall performance aspects, but occasional stuttering problems made aiming at targets highly annoying. I spent atleast an hour trying to tweak different setting before i realised something.....
When you choose to delete the graphics cache in the B17 startup options, it doesn't really delete it!
I found this out by deleting it, and then going back into the game to play. When i came out of the game it was back again!
I knew that the cache was causing alot of loading problems and i would prefer it if my RAM handled it instead, so i did a small test.
Firstly i loaded up the game, and re-created the full graphics cache (it is around 42mb in all) and started up the game. Flying around for a bit.
I then went back to desktop and deleted the ImageCache.dat file from the B17/Resources/Media folder (this is the graphics cache that it creates). I then went into Notepad and without typing anything, saved a new file as ImageCache.dat, and placed the blank file in the B17/Resources/Media directory.
I then right clicked on the file, went to properties and made it a Read-Only file.
After now loading up B17 i realised that my HD was doing NO WORK AT ALL! It solved all of my stuttering problems also and made loading times and drawing rates 200x faster.
This is all achived by tricking B17 into thinking it has a graphics cache, when it really doesn't. I now suggest that everyone try this and see how much of a difference it makes.

Oh and i'm running this at 1024x768 with everything set to Balanced, on a P450 with 256mb RAM.
No slowdown, No jerky fighters anymore, No jerky terrain loading.....nothing.
This is also with Hardware T&L enabled in the B17 options, and 2x2 full screen anti-aliasing enabled in the GeForce 2 advanced options (which is supposed to kill frame rate.......not)

[This message has been edited by Leaky_Valve (edited December 20, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Leaky_Valve (edited December 20, 2000).]

IP: Logged

Lukeff
Bombardier

posted December 20, 2000 02:03 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bump
------------------
FF-C Luke Wallace, Riverside County Fire
Battalion 9; Station 48

Memnoch
Flight Engineer

posted December 20, 2000 02:09 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leaky_Valve, you're one of the good ones.

Ripbud
Aerial Gunner

posted December 20, 2000 02:17 PM
What a trip Leaky...
I just deleted that cache and played the game (I had tried everything else)
It worked pretty well...

I was going to come on here and mention it.. but saw your post...
I'm now going to try your method (the read only file)...

Thanks!

My machine is same specs as yours.

Tibbets
Cadet

[This message has been edited by tinfish (edited 12-21-2000).]

Posts: 52 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Thomas AV8R Spann
Member # 2732

posted 12-21-2000 01:08 PM     Profile for Thomas AV8R Spann   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tinfish,

Good find...

Im goint to try this, if it works, you have found one of the most important performance tricks for this sim.

I noticed you have a P2 450mhz system. Those reading this thread better notice this. You DONT need a Tbird 1.2Ghz machine to run this sim. I have a Celeron running at 550mhz and also have smooth gameplay (little stutters like tinfish mentioned). I believe that this sim really needs 256mb ram to be fast. But this caching trick probably deals with the HDD seek hits that show up as stutters.

AV8R

tinfish
Member # 8465

posted 12-21-2000 02:00 PM     Profile for tinfish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Thomas,

Good luck with it. But keep in mind it wasnt me that found this out, it was Leaky Valve's. I just got his info from the Bombs Away Forum: http://www.bombs-away.net/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi

Cheers all,

Im off on holiday

Tin

Posts: 52 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Swampthing
Member # 388

posted 12-21-2000 02:31 PM     Profile for Swampthing   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Didn't do a thing for me. Game runs exactly as before. This is with 512 mb of ram as well.
ronjon
Member # 4193

posted 12-21-2000 02:35 PM     Profile for ronjon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i didn't think it would help me as i have 128k of ram and i was right. same as before. balanced earth and sky did though.

rj

Rich Kid
Member # 8754

posted 12-21-2000 02:39 PM     Profile for Rich Kid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It worked great on a low end machine but my main with 512MB/SCSI drives it didn't make much of a noticable difference.
Posts: 40 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.