my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » B17 II Flying Fortress   » BALL TURRET GUNNER "SPLASH1": DEATH OF A NAZI FIGHTER - PICS

Author Topic: BALL TURRET GUNNER "SPLASH1": DEATH OF A NAZI FIGHTER - PICS
Thomas AV8R Spann
Member # 2732

posted 12-20-2000 03:15 AM     Profile for Thomas AV8R Spann   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For me, B17V2 pays its admission ticket just by letting me do my stuff in the gunner positions... the ball turret being my favorite. I wish they would have out a heading indicator in that status box so I would know my gun position relative to the bogie callouts.

AV8R

Blond_Knight
Member # 67

posted 12-20-2000 05:32 AM     Profile for Blond_Knight     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
AHHHH! Poor Hans, we were wondering what had happened to him.

------------------
See-Decide-Attack-Reverse

Posts: 1093 | From: Richmond Va - Capital of the Confederacy | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Shotgun
Member # 1005

posted 12-20-2000 06:31 AM     Profile for Shotgun   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hans, H*ll! If that 109 at the top is the one shot down, it's you, baby - the Blonde_Knight himself.

And shot down by a B17 ball turrent gunner- you should be ashamed.

Shotgun

Posts: 199 | From: Oklahoma City, OK USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Orangutan
Member # 104

posted 12-20-2000 06:57 AM     Profile for Orangutan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey,

I shot up a FW190 from the tail gunner's position. The 190 plowed right into the B-17 above me taking it with him. Immersion again. Elation followed by instant horror!

I wonder how the real airmen could handle such accidents. Must be something that REALLY haunts you.

Cheers,
Orangutan

Posts: 70 | From: Helsinki, Finland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jedi Master
Member # 3223

posted 12-20-2000 08:34 AM     Profile for Jedi Master   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Was that Memphis Belle or the Amazing Stories pilot where the stricken fighter slices off the tail of a B-17 next to them, causing it to spiral slowly downwards?
The Jedi Master

Posts: 477 | From: Coral Springs, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Thomas AV8R Spann
Member # 2732

posted 12-20-2000 12:31 PM     Profile for Thomas AV8R Spann   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jedi,

It was MEMPHIS BELLE - the movie.

The copilot was a lifegaurd hotdog who wanted to beable to go home and brag about downing an enemy fighter. WHich he did, but at the cost of also killing 10 crew and thier a/c
(Mother And Country).

It was the event that made him grow up. From that point on he was responsive to his captain/pilot and was key to saving the Belle from an engine fire. (so the story goes).

Which brings up a good moral lesson. It often takes tragedy to make some selfish people to smell the coffee and see that its better to give than to recieve. Far too often its at the expense of other people before the lesson is learned.

Memphis Belle is much like U571 in that they arent very historically nor technically accurate, but the story lines and character development bails them out to be worthwhile, IMHO. Sure beats watching what else on TV these days.

AV8R

Jedi Master
Member # 3223

posted 12-21-2000 07:38 AM     Profile for Jedi Master   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually, that's why most of the shows I watch are on cable! Not movies, but cable television shows, mostly the Sci-fi channel. They don't have that mega-network mentality of "have to make a hit," they just make a show as long as they don't lose money on it! Also, they have lower budgets than the "big ones" and rely more on character development than flashy stunts and other big-budget trappings, although what they can do nowadays with a small budget for TV is pretty amazing.
The Jedi Master

Yak man
Member # 8785

posted 12-21-2000 08:05 AM     Profile for Yak man   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
one thing i thought would have been a nice addition to the movie would have been the documentary team that filmed the origional mephis belle movie/documentary.
cheers, luke (aka yakkalot)

Posts: 20 | From: Darwin, NT, Australia | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jeeves
Member # 6875

posted 12-21-2000 02:40 PM     Profile for Jeeves   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wasn't Kevin Costner in that episode of Amazing Stories? I remember it now--- a young kid in the ball turret...they came through flak and couldn't get him out or the gear down-- he drew a cartoon, went into a trance, and there was a cartoon wheel that appeared as the plane landed...they got him out, his trance broke, and the plane crashed down--- man I wish I could see that one again!!

------------------
Jeeves =FC=

Posts: 26 | From: Saratoga Springs, NY- USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
anvil
Member # 7613

posted 12-22-2000 09:30 AM     Profile for anvil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great pics!! Its a fine game
Posts: 31 | From: Woodland Park, Co, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jedi Master
Member # 3223

posted 12-22-2000 10:29 AM     Profile for Jedi Master   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jeeves, head over to Blockbuster. Many of the Amazing Stories, including and ESPECIALLY the pilot, were released on video. If you can't rent it there, check half.com or eBay and you might find someone willing to part with an old copy cheap.
The Jedi Master

hrtexas
Member # 864

posted 12-22-2000 03:03 PM     Profile for hrtexas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Blonde Knight,

where in Richmond do you live? I went to school at V.C.U. (I know, I smoked too much in high school). Lived on Monument Ave. (which Blonde Knight are you named after-- just kidding!). Anyways, glad to hear the game is working well for you. If only they supported multiplayer I'd take the top turret gun.

Speaking of the ball turret, ever seen on the History Channel the show "Suicide Missions: Ball Turret Gunner?" Was running a month or so ago and should recycle back some time soon.

Takereez!

Posts: 56 | From: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Fire
Member # 8847

posted 12-22-2000 10:02 PM     Profile for Fire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hrtexas,

I must have missed that one. That would have been a great show. I often catch myself watching history channel just because there is nothing else on and they have some damn good stories on there.

AV8R,

How did you take your screenshots? I have heard one way, but that only allows you to take one at a time. I can tell that you took many from this post. So how did you do it? Or could you direct me where the print screen key goes?

Thanks,

Fire

------------------
-------------------------
"Give a man a match, he'll be warm for a day.
"Set a man on fire, He'll be warm for a lifetime :)"

Posts: 10 | From: Spencerville, Ohio, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lastchance
Member # 6827

posted 12-23-2000 02:52 AM     Profile for Lastchance   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yup one of the folks on the suicide mission
show you watched was a guy named Wilbur Shaw
I have met the man in person at Chino airport
and its all true L.C.

------------------
Don't eat lunch pack a chute

Posts: 18 | From: Los Angeles,Ca. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Thomas AV8R Spann
Member # 2732

posted 12-23-2000 03:06 AM     Profile for Thomas AV8R Spann   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Deleted repeat posting...
duplicate need coffee dislexyia syndrome

[This message has been edited by Thomas AV8R Spann (edited 12-23-2000).]

Thomas AV8R Spann
Member # 2732

posted 12-23-2000 03:07 AM     Profile for Thomas AV8R Spann   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fire,

PrintScreen in Windows takes the screen buffer contents and places it into the Windows "clipboard".

From here you take almost any graphics program (HyperSnap, PaintShopPro, Adobe, MS Paint, etc...) and do a PASTE command into the utility to dump the picture out for display and editing.

yes this is one at a time procedure. Then you pause the game, and ALT-TAB out to paste the contents into your graphics application before taking another snapshot in the sim.

Another way is to get a snapshot program like HyperSnapProDX and set up hotkeys to snap the pictures and save them on the HDD without leaving the sim. http://hyperionics.com

AV8R

ice705
Member # 4800

posted 12-23-2000 03:04 PM     Profile for ice705   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That was beautiful man!!
Posts: 131 | From: waltham,ma usa | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Fire
Member # 8847

posted 12-23-2000 05:29 PM     Profile for Fire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
AV8R,

Thanks man. I forgot i could do a alt + tab cobination to get all the shots. You are a very good gunner from your pictures. Great shot! I wish i could gun like that. I always get slowdowns. Hoping to get more RAM soon though..on 128 now.

Thanks man, you're a lifesaver.

Fire

------------------

Fire
Member # 8847

posted 12-23-2000 08:51 PM     Profile for Fire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
AV8R,

in response to your answer on rather it was memphis belle or amazing stories pilot which a plane was cut in half it was memphis belle, you were correct. But, in light, you said it cost "10" of the "mother and country"'s crewmans lives. Actually if you watch the movie they say after it goes down there were 2 "chutes". That would mean it cost the lives of 8 men instantly, and we dont know whether the other 2 were POWs or KIAs. Sorry to get so technical, but i just had to point that out.

-Fire

------------------

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.