my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » B17 II Flying Fortress   » 2 tips - including CTD problem rectified

Author Topic: 2 tips - including CTD problem rectified
tinfish
Member # 8465

posted 12-19-2000 09:28 AM     Profile for tinfish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You probably know this already, but you can get rid of the on-screen info box by pressing Ctrl and H.

Also regarding CTD crashes, I'd heard some good reports about the "no CD" crack file, so I installed this file last night and it works a treat - plus its great not having to put the CD in every time, AND there is no music anymore!

I HAVE bought the game by the way To prove it, page 20 in the manual is about Game Controllers)

Tinfish

---

CD crack - info

posted by FASTFED on December 18, 2000 05:27 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok when i first got the game running it on my
amd 500
128 megs of ram
voodoo 3 2k @ 185 mhz ( faster then the 3500 )
monstor sound mx 300
Ran pretty good not a little stuttering, but not too bad,
I am using cashman, ( the program ) and even with that it ctd every game about 20 min. into, load times are acually good.
I have a great web site, for copying games, ( now i have this game and bought this game )
I downloaded a no cd patch, and also with that a fix for a .dll file, installed it, and ran the game let me tell you , Not only was i able to get it to ctd, but the game acually runs smoother alot smoother, This game i can say now is acually awsome i played two full missions smooth, with only 2 seconds between positions, and only 3-5 seconds between time skip, I will give the url address to people, who have ctd, problems or if it runs a little choppy, email me @ [email protected], and i will give you the patch, i tell u i have no problems with the game now, they should just relese this patch as an official,

[email protected]

===

Or get it from: http://www.gamecopyworld.com/cgi-bin/dl.cgi?b17!zip

Tin

IMPORTANT Dont forget to make a copy of your original "games interface dll" file,

[This message has been edited by tinfish (edited 12-19-2000).]

Posts: 52 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
rsalo
Member # 1722

posted 12-19-2000 11:33 AM     Profile for rsalo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks tinfish! that no-cd crack helped allot, game does seen to indeed run smoother, and the redrawing is allot quicker (only had time to do pratice gunnery and one pratice bombing run before work). I didn't notice any improvements by shutting off the HUD, but my understanding was that was/is a GeForce problem fixer for stutter or pulse (I have Voodoo4) is that correct?
tinfish
Member # 8465

posted 12-19-2000 01:12 PM     Profile for tinfish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Ras,

Sorry, I havent heard about shutting off the Hud as a solution. (By the way, how do you shut off the Hud?)

Thanks

Tin

Von Fauster
Member # 1106

posted 12-19-2000 02:27 PM     Profile for Von Fauster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tinfish,

You mention that in addition to the crack, you got a .dll fix. The crack is a .dll file, so are you refering to a seperate file, or are they one and the same? I too am a legitimate purchaser of the game, and have no intention of returning it, for I am convinced that eventually this game will run, but right now I am willing to try just about anything to get it to work. I have high hopes that Wayward will do right by us, as we the legitimate consumer have done right by them, but until then- I would like to be able to use the product I have purchased. Thanks!

Posts: 30 | From: Portland, OR, USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ender
Member # 7410

posted 12-19-2000 03:06 PM     Profile for Ender   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There is no logical reason why the CD crack should improve the game ie: stuttering, terrain drawing etc but having said that all I know is it makes A DEFINATE IMPROVEMENT on my modest system.
Celeron 500
TNT2 M64 32mb (6.49 drivers)
128mb RAM.(PC100)
DX 8.0
660 Mb Windows managed swapfile.
Cacheman set at "Power User"
386enh file set to run using free ram before swap file.
I'd advise anyone to give it a try as long as you back up the original dll. file ( can't remember its name offhand).
The stuttering is 99 per cent gone, just get a slight lag during fighter attacks and view changing is taking around a second inside and out. By the way I run the game at 1152x864 balanced except for detail on interior and damage modelling and definately hold the view that it runs better at higher resolutions.

[This message has been edited by Ender (edited 12-19-2000).]

Posts: 16 | From: Hull, England | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Roberts
Member # 8770

posted 12-19-2000 04:19 PM     Profile for Roberts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ender!

Where did you get those drivers (6.49)for your TNT2 card? I only have 6.31. Don´t know if they make such a big difference but it never hurts to update things...So if you perhaps could point me to where I can get them? I would be most grateful.
I also got to try the "no CD" thing.

Thanks/Roberts

Posts: 18 | From: Stockholm,Sweden | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
rsalo
Member # 1722

posted 12-19-2000 10:21 PM     Profile for rsalo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry tinfish, I ment the on screen info box (guess it's like a HUD huh?). But I do believe I seen it mentioned here and at the BA forum, that shutting off the on-screen info box (Ctrl + H) does help the stutter/pulse being experianced by some Geforce user's. Anyway this game ROCKS!
Nephron
Member # 6680

posted 12-20-2000 12:13 AM     Profile for Nephron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
These fixes work as a dream !

CD crack made it possible to start the game
and I have had no CTD´s
(Yes I HAVE bought the game)

Ctrl-H makes a definitive improvement in
the stuttering although I still need to
adjust ground textures to speed.

This is one fun sim now

EF

ronjon
Member # 4193

posted 12-20-2000 01:08 AM     Profile for ronjon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yup the patch worked just fine. flew the first training mission all the way through without a hitch. Unless u consider the fact that i have Ray Charles for a Bombadier. couldn't hit the broad side of a barn that one. nosireee.....

rj out....

tinfish
Member # 8465

posted 12-20-2000 09:36 AM     Profile for tinfish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Von,

It wasnt me who posted the message about the dll file - it was Fastfed. But, yes, I reckon he means that the crack IS the dll file.

(It works a treat)

Best wishes,

Tin

---

Von wrote

Tinfish,

You mention that in addition to the crack, you got a .dll fix. The crack is a .dll file, so are you refering to a seperate file, or are they one and the same? I too am a legitimate purchaser of the game, and have no intention of returning it, for I am convinced that eventually this game will run, but right now I am willing to try just about anything to get it to work. I have high hopes that Wayward will do right by us, as we the legitimate consumer have done right by them, but until then- I would like to be able to use the product I have purchased. Thanks!

StevieK2
Member # 8733

posted 12-21-2000 09:04 AM     Profile for StevieK2     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Someone asked about drivers. You can get ALL the latest drivers for ALL cards at:
http://www.reactorcritical.com/download.shtml

Roberts
Member # 8770

posted 12-21-2000 09:54 AM     Profile for Roberts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks StevieK2!

/Roberts

Posts: 18 | From: Stockholm,Sweden | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Blond_Knight
Member # 67

posted 12-21-2000 10:21 AM     Profile for Blond_Knight     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought it was rather funny that in the Troubleshooting tips on BA from Wayward that they vehemently declare that you SHOULD NOT use the crack...I bet their words fall on the deaf ears of guys who couldnt get the game to run any other way!

------------------
See-Decide-Attack-Reverse

Posts: 1093 | From: Richmond Va - Capital of the Confederacy | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.