my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » B17 II Flying Fortress   » About the Clouds and Dirty windows..

Author Topic: About the Clouds and Dirty windows..
Lightning.66
Member # 8321

posted 12-15-2000 07:29 PM     Profile for Lightning.66     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi guys,

I went in the Roads and Rivers file and reduced the clouds like thin all the min settings to 0%, and all the others to 50%, Now I found that I can fly much better, see a little more see more targets, and the terrain drawing is almost non-exsistant as you can already see the coulds, they block the terrain, so when you get into a break in the clouds, it draws the terrain, hence the stuttering

I modified the smoke effects too by reducing then to 5 and lo and behold.. someones has cleaned the windows up a bit, much better..

[This message has been edited by Lightning.66 (edited 12-16-2000).]

Posts: 39 | From: Trollhattan, Sweden | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
doc
Member # 1699

posted 12-15-2000 08:07 PM     Profile for doc   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Can you give info on this fix. I just
got the game and missed it and found the
dirty windows annoying too .

Thanks

McCudden
Member # 4526

posted 12-16-2000 09:05 AM     Profile for McCudden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It would be helpful if you could enlighten us on what section you modified.Simply saying you reduced the smoke effects to 5 doesn't help us to identify which smoke effects...there are quite a few mentions of smoke in the RARDB file,none of which have a value of anything like 5 or above except bullets and smokes section under virtual damage.

A small pointer to the section please

------------------
"Yes,Sir..these helicopters have skis in case it's snowing when you land"

Posts: 81 | From: Perth,Scotland | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lightning.66
Member # 8321

posted 12-16-2000 09:13 AM     Profile for Lightning.66     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi,

Its quite simple really, just go in the RiverandRoadsDB.imf file found in the Resources\Database folder in B-17 II Directory, you can take a look at this and paste it in the correct places (Remember to make a Backup!) use Notepad or Word to open it..

MinAverageCloudCover = 0.0 // This represents the minimum general cloud cover
MaxAverageCloudCover = 0.5 // This represents the maximum general cloud cover
MinPrimaryTargetCloudCover = 0. // The minimum amount of cloud cover over the primary target
MaxPrimaryTargetCloudCover = 0.5 // The maximum amount of cloud cover over the primary target
MinSecondaryTargetCloudCover = 0.0 // The minimum amount of cloud cover over the secondary target
MaxSecondaryTargetCloudCover = 0.5 // The maximum amount of cloud cover over the secondary target
MinTertiaryTargetCloudCover = 0.0 // The minimum amount of cloud cover over the tertiary target
MaxTertiaryTargetCloudCover = 0.5 // The maximum amount of cloud cover over the tertiary target

[B17VirtualDamage] // number of bullets and smokes to apply to each position
ChinTurretBullets = 25
ChinTurretSmokes = 10 (here)
CheekGunnerBullets = 25
CheekGunnerSmokes = 10 (here)
PilotBullets = 25
PilotSmokes = 10 (here)
CoPilotBullets = 25
CoPilotSmokes = 10 (here)
TopTurretBullets = 25
TopTurretSmokes = 10 (Here)
BallTurretBullets = 25
BallTurretSmokes = 10 (here)
LeftWaistBullets = 25
LeftWaistSmokes = 10 ( you get the point now..)
RightWaistBullets = 25
RightWaistSmokes = 10
TailGunnerBullets = 25
TailGunnerSmokes = 10

Try these out and if you like em good for you, I modified a lot of things in the file the chances of wings coming off, the general effects of the bombs, much more realistic now, I saw that previously the bombs were too weak, and one type had a bad error, the crews skill, effectiveness, now they are much more keen on staying alive.. the file is too big to paste here, but I can E-mail it to you if you like, drop me a line and I'll send it.. [email protected] is where i'm at..

------------------
Check Six....It might be me!

Posts: 39 | From: Trollhattan, Sweden | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
McCudden
Member # 4526

posted 12-16-2000 09:17 AM     Profile for McCudden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Appreciate that quick reply Lightning

I'll fire it up and test it out.

------------------

david wong
Member # 7426

posted 12-16-2000 10:02 AM     Profile for david wong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning.66:
Hi guys,

I went in the Roads and Rivers file and reduced the clouds like thin all the min settings to 0%, and all the others to 50%, Now I found that I can fly much better, see a little more see more targets, and the terrain drawing is almost non-exsistant as you can already see the coulds, they block the terrain, so when you get into a break in the clouds, it draws the terrain, hence the stuttering

I modified the smoke effects too by reducing then to 5 and lo and behold.. someones has cleaned the windows up a bit, much better..

At the meantime the dirty windows trouble me the most. Appreciate how you tweek it?

Posts: 28 | From: singapore | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
McCudden
Member # 4526

posted 12-16-2000 10:27 AM     Profile for McCudden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok Lightning,I tried the smokes and bullets tweak but it didn't change a thing in the views.No idea why but they still looked exactly the same.I tried reducing the amounts to 5 and 2 instead of 50 and 20,but still no change.
I'll keep trying and see if I can get the same effects you sescribe as the dity windows really bug me.

------------------

ProzacPain
Member # 7328

posted 12-16-2000 05:00 PM     Profile for ProzacPain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
if i were you guys, I wouldn't mess with those text files. Then again im not you guys.
Just don't expect wayward to support your game after you modify it!
BTW, what stutters? No stutters here? Did ya'll remember to do the graphics cache option on the startup config window?
hehe
The only thing I wish i could speed up is the changing between different views in the bomber like different gun positions. Depends on which view i start on, but it takes about 10 seconds for me and im running a P3-936 with 256 megs. I think its my RAM. Its only PC-100 though i've got it running at 117mhz. Also the redraws on clouds and land textures are visibly slow sometimes. That is my TNT2 showing its age. Still the frame rate is smooth even with lots of planes in the sky and the ground looks awesome through multiple cloud layers and it is beautiful.

Oh yeah, and the missions load in about half a second which is really nice. In comparision say Diablo2 takes about 10 15 seconds to load a level. In B17 2, as soon as my finger lifts from the mouse click im already sitting in the cockpit. Wish it would switch between cockpit views that quickly.

Also does anyone know how to enable mouse free look or some kind of free scrolling view around the cockpit? The only available way of looking left and right seems to be the snap views with the hat... in other words as soon as you let go the view snaps back to forward. Also there is no way to look down from the action view to see any gauges without switching to the "I" view. Then there is no way to look left or right. No way to look at gauges and the outside world simultaneously. Oh well. Thats the way they designed it I guess. I can live with the way it is setup right now quite well. I let the AI pilots fly most of the time anyways.

Posts: 68 | From: Jacksonville FL USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Truro
Member # 679

posted 12-17-2000 01:22 PM     Profile for Truro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wayward approves of tweaking the file, as long as you back it up before hand.

Your view changes aren't ram or bus speed, probably video related. Look into the nvidia tweak threads around here. You should be able to change views in a second or two.

I run everything at balanced on a V5, rest on my system about like yours, and view changes can be as low as a 1/2 a second or less. The lower the resolution, the faster the change.

Posts: 1441 | From: Tulsa, Ok | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Shotgun
Member # 1005

posted 12-17-2000 07:13 PM     Profile for Shotgun   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Reducing these settings did work for me. A setting of "5" for the "smokes" on the windows cleared things up quite a bit.

Shotgun

Posts: 199 | From: Oklahoma City, OK USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
samegate
Member # 4140

posted 12-17-2000 07:25 PM     Profile for samegate   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Guys,
While we are messing with things has anyone seen how/where the number of tracers per x rounds is? Personal opinion is I would like more

JohnUK
Member # 278

posted 12-18-2000 02:24 PM     Profile for JohnUK   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
RE the cockpit snap views....... took me a while to realise that its not just 9 & 3 o`clock. Using both 4&8/6&8 or Hat diagonal up`s gives an extra view. Still snap of course.
Posts: 762 | From: Bournemouth United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Viking1
Member # 5

posted 12-18-2000 06:20 PM     Profile for Viking1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
[B17VirtualDamage] // number of bullets and smokes to apply to each position
ChinTurretBullets = 25
ChinTurretSmokes = 10 (here)

Notice the heading of that section. Pretty sure these effects only apply when damage state is active..

Posts: 917 | From: Kelowna BC CANADA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Shotgun
Member # 1005

posted 12-18-2000 08:55 PM     Profile for Shotgun   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't recall seeing a setting that would change the number of bullets between tracers, but it might be there. Sometimes the names are pretty arcane.

Shotgun

Posts: 199 | From: Oklahoma City, OK USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.