my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » B17 II Flying Fortress   » DX 8 Problems

Author Topic: DX 8 Problems
freddie
Member # 8267

posted 12-05-2000 03:55 PM     Profile for freddie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am still trying to install B17 on my K62 475 with 192 Ram. DX8
I keep getting wrong CD in CD ROM drive.
I have installed the game on 2 other test machines, ( not mine) and it ran fine. Both these machines were DX7.
Anyone else experiencing these problems?
How do I uninstall DX8 without reinstalling Windows?

Posts: 12 | From: Olmsted Township | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
miol
Member # 6211

posted 12-05-2000 04:00 PM     Profile for miol   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You canít go back to an older directx now, too late you basically have to reinstalled your windows.

However be aware that not all hardware drivers are directx 8 compatible, for instance my GeForce256 is not directx 8 compatible as yet.

But the compatibility problems are 80 % graphic card relater, so try the newest driver for your graphic card and sound card while you are at it. If it still doesnít work, reinstall the crap.

Posts: 16 | From: Copenhagen, Denmark | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hertston
Member # 7363

posted 12-05-2000 04:05 PM     Profile for Hertston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You can uninstall DX and revert to an earlier version. Go to ZDnet or any of the similar file download sites and grab a file called (unsurprisingly) "dxuninstall".

It works just fine, amid much trepidation I was forced to used it on one occasion, but had no problems. I should mention that was DX7 - you may want to e-mail the author and confirm it works with DX8...

Posts: 246 | From: Torpoint, Cornwall, UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
freddie
Member # 8267

posted 12-05-2000 04:13 PM     Profile for freddie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have run Crimson Sky's and Combat Flight 2 with Direct DX8 and they run fine. Also Falcon runs well.
I upgraded to 2nd edition 98 about 4 months ago and I have an 2nd edition uninstall in my add/remove programs. If I remove second edition will it also remove DX8 or do I need to reinstall Windows completely.
If I do, do I just over write the Windows directory?

Thanks for your help,

quote:
Originally posted by miol:
You canít go back to an older directx now, too late you basically have to reinstalled your windows.

However be aware that not all hardware drivers are directx 8 compatible, for instance my GeForce256 is not directx 8 compatible as yet.

But the compatibility problems are 80 % graphic card relater, so try the newest driver for your graphic card and sound card while you are at it. If it still doesnít work, reinstall the crap.

Posts: 12 | From: Olmsted Township | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
nogood
Member # 8408

posted 12-05-2000 05:39 PM     Profile for nogood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
'Dxuninstal' works just fine with DX8, just remember to follow the steps as described.
I have a :

Asus P2
celeron 466
192Mb ram
tnt 2 ultra (asus 3800)
2x 13,6 Gb Ibm (raid/66) 5-7 Gb free on each
Win98
Dx7a (now)
Cacheman 3.80 (3D gaming)
and added the *.ini line as well.

BUT I STILL get CTD's all the time.!!!!!HELP

Posts: 3 | From: Denmark | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hertston
Member # 7363

posted 12-05-2000 08:46 PM     Profile for Hertston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by freddie:
I upgraded to 2nd edition 98 about 4 months ago and I have an 2nd edition uninstall in my add/remove programs. If I remove second edition will it also remove DX8 or do I need to reinstall Windows completely.
If I do, do I just over write the Windows directory?

Thanks for your help,

Freddie,

I STRONGLY recommend you don't mess with Windows. It's likely to cause far more problems than it solves. A re-install of 98 2nd edition won't solve anything, and a return to 1st edition is a no-no. And I'm afraid Miol has never tried it, IT WILL NOT KILL DX. You can re-install and will STILL have DX8 ! The only thing that will kill it (but see below) is to re-format your HD and start from scratch, and I can't believe anyone would want to do that unless it was absolutely essential.

Listen to nogood and myself, use "dxuninstall". If you can't find it, post again and I'll e-mail it to you.

BTW, I think you may be being hasty in assigning the problem to DX8. It runs fine for me with B17, and the half dozen or so other sims I have installed. From what you describe, it seems far more likely your CD drive is having an arguement with the copy protection routine. Not a lot you can do about that other than swear at hasbro and buy that new DVD or CD re-writer you've been promising yourself

[This message has been edited by Hertston (edited 12-05-2000).]

Hertston
Member # 7363

posted 12-05-2000 08:55 PM     Profile for Hertston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oops - duplicate post..

[This message has been edited by Hertston (edited 12-05-2000).]

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.