my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » B17 II Flying Fortress   » B-17 Flying Fortress is the topic of this forum; Plus Advice on Off Topic (OT) Posts

Author Topic: B-17 Flying Fortress is the topic of this forum; Plus Advice on Off Topic (OT) Posts
Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 12-05-2000 11:23 AM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi all,

Someone in this room is beginning to bore me . . . oh, it's me. I'm getting bored of having to lock up topics or move them to the Off-Topic forum as I just did with the A Dark and Sinister Cloud is Approaching? thread.

May I ask that everyone try to keep the discussions focused on B-17 for a bit? Off-topics are fine, but prefix your subject line with OT so people who are only interested in talking about B-17 don't have to bother with them. Also, if you want to post provocative OT's about the state of gaming in general, then maybe the Off Topic forum is the best place for it.

------------------
Douglas Helmer
Forum Administrator
[email protected]

Posts: 2792 | From: COMBATSIM.COM | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Thomas AV8R Spann
Member # 2732

posted 12-05-2000 12:52 PM     Profile for Thomas AV8R Spann   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have to agree as well Douglas.

On the lighter and positive side.....

I remember when Falcon4,Su27Flanker,EAW and WW2Fighters came out. They generated about the same amount mixed high energized furor.

And look back now...

1. F4 is alive and thriving on RP4 and F4patch3.1. 3 addon terrains, hundreds of
skins, thousands of missions, and a HUGE
user based community. And talk about great online game play. Probably the best COOP and DF MP sim of all time.

2. SU27Flanker. Man I wrote the review for that and got the same love/hate response for being positive about that product. But here again after 5 years since FlankerV1 and FlankerV2.03a, the Russian birdie has its own die hard following too. Many cockpits, new terrains, skins, flyable planes, and more to come in V2.5.

3. EAW. I remember alot of crying over that 2MB limitation on the video RAM. The "cartoon" graphics. Here again we have a sim with a following as big as Falcon4 and as the most addons Ive ever seen for any sim.

4. WW2Fighters. Now heres another sim I wrote the first MP review for. People loved the graphics and hated the gameplay. Oh really? Two years later JCN still has 50-70 dogfighters battling out to their hearts content. Hyper and I developed an environment to replace JCN and add anti cheat that will last as long as there's interest in this sim. We have new terrains, gunsights, planes being developed, skins, squadrons galore.

To sum it up. B17V2 is starting out much as did the many other greats. Lets hope that with positive feedback we can encourage Wayward to continue the dream they started. Like lets please get MP back in and fix some of the performance issues. That alone would put B17V2 back up in the battle for the crown.

Youre doing a great service Douglas. Keep up the efforts, even if its not a fun job at times.

Thomas AV8R Spann

Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 12-05-2000 01:34 PM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
AV8R,

Thanks for the kind words of support. You are spot-on that B-17 is starting out in a similar fashion as did the classic sims you mentioned above. All new sims are like newborn wildebeest: wobbly, unstable, and surrounded by hungry lions, hyenas, and other assorted predators that compose what we call the on-line sim community.

And just as B-17 FF: TME the game has yet to find its legs, let alone its stride, so too are the various B-17 on-line communities attempting to find theirs.

As I was locking-up topic after topic last night I flashed back to a time when I had to do the same thing with the EAW community's forum. Things went from bad, to ugly, to worse in there . . . funny thing was, the community never really started to gel over there until the focus of everyone's ire was turned from each other to turning on me and my heavy-handed administration and moderation of their forum.

So, in a weird way, I won't be sure that this community is off and running on its own until former posting adversaries join forces to tell me that my forum moderation decisions are starting to bug the heck outta them.

Irony, ya gotta love it

------------------
Douglas Helmer
Forum Administrator
[email protected]

Posts: 2792 | From: COMBATSIM.COM | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.