my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » B17 II Flying Fortress   » As I sit here and drink cheap American beer.....I wonder.

Author Topic: As I sit here and drink cheap American beer.....I wonder.
Gunslinger214
Member # 8208

posted 12-05-2000 01:57 AM     Profile for Gunslinger214   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I posed this question before in another thread but I think it was buried..

How does the sim fly when the aircraft has received large amounts of damage? (control surfaces shot off, skin peeled away, props feathered, etc) I'm sure that there are a few B17-2 vets out there that can tell me!

Anxiously awaiting the arrival..hopefully the end of the week. That's a damn long time..

Posts: 32 | From: Parker, Co, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ed
Member # 4834

posted 12-05-2000 02:37 AM     Profile for Ed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gunslinger214:
I posed this question before in another thread but I think it was buried..

How does the sim fly when the aircraft has received large amounts of damage? (control surfaces shot off, skin peeled away, props feathered, etc) I'm sure that there are a few B17-2 vets out there that can tell me!

Anxiously awaiting the arrival..hopefully the end of the week. That's a damn long time..

Dont know about about B-17-2 But in B-17-1
The plane became lethargic. Which mean u personally flew it alot. Somtimes we had to manually lower the Landing Gear if Damaged.
But the greatest danger is Still Fire. If u are unable to put the fires out its time to wing you way to coast quickly and Bailout. The one Problem though You had to adreess ASAP fire. you had something like 60 seconds till fireball time.

Ed

Kapla

[This message has been edited by Ed (edited 12-05-2000).]

Posts: 74 | From: Bolingbrook IL | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
RSColonel_131st
Member # 7607

posted 12-05-2000 03:27 AM     Profile for RSColonel_131st   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm still waitng for my copy...but as far as I have heared, its pretty good. U lose some of ur right ailerons...u will defenitly notice that. Cranking gear down and bomb bay open is also in...damaged engine on the left makes u turn in that direction....

should be very cool to limb home over the channel with 3 engines left and bunch of prayers

Posts: 310 | From: Austria | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Biggs
Member # 6538

posted 12-05-2000 07:33 AM     Profile for Biggs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Hey guys,

Well the flight characteristics change quite
alot, depending what you've had shot off. The other night I had both port engines shot out, couldn't get them to feather, so they just seized.Trying to keep on course/airborne was pretty tough(lots of rudder and a bit of aileron), but like a clot, i let the thing stall.....just forget it and bail out..Doh!
But alot of fun

There is a quick mission,called 'Limping home' as you'll see once you've got it. In essence the plane looks like it's been chewed up and spat out...you've got to get it back to the field and land...LoL.

A couple of things from last night,Saw a good mid-airs, an FW got a bit too close, think the pilot realised at the last sec and tried to avoid hitting the bomber....But didn't quite make it..CLANG!! He hit just behind where the waist gunners are, bent his prop, suprisingly enough the '17' kept flying!!(I laughed like hell!)The other was one ship got hit and dropped out of formation, dissappeared from view....only to reappear after about 10 mins with the whole tail missing...vert stab' and elevators were just...gone!! Hee hee...He managed to keep it in the air for quite a while, but bailed in the end... Tried to get a screenie, but all i ended up with was a piccy of me desktop

Posts: 287 | From: Stanstead,UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Von Paulus
Member # 3447

posted 12-05-2000 08:11 AM     Profile for Von Paulus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RSColonel_131st:
I'm still waitng for my copy...but as far as I have heared, its pretty good. U lose some of ur right ailerons...u will defenitly notice that. Cranking gear down and bomb bay open is also in...damaged engine on the left makes u turn in that direction....

should be very cool to limb home over the channel with 3 engines left and bunch of prayers

I believe that the aircrew refered to this (common) occurance as "Three turning, One Burning"

regards

Von P

------------------

Grant that I die where the bursting shrapnel sings,
My team upon a gallop towards the foe.

Posts: 89 | From: Greenwich, London, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.