Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » B17 II Flying Fortress   » Plummer TRY IT THEN COMPLAIN IF IT"S DOES NTO WORK!!

Author Topic: Plummer TRY IT THEN COMPLAIN IF IT"S DOES NTO WORK!!
CavScout19D
Member # 7238

posted 12-04-2000 04:47 AM     Profile for CavScout19D   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Many people have had just as few problems as others have had many, at least see how it works on your system before you start your revolution man. Your going to look pretty silly if you come on here talking it up after dogging it so much before you even play it!
Posts: 138 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
plummerx
Member # 3213

posted 12-04-2000 04:49 AM     Profile for plummerx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The point is not whether or not it runs for me. It may well.It may not. This is irrelevant. The point is it should run for EVERYONE.
Posts: 570 | From: Graham WA USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
CavScout19D
Member # 7238

posted 12-04-2000 04:58 AM     Profile for CavScout19D   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
It would be nice if it did but if you know anything about programming you would know that is impossible. There are PC's out there that cannot run Deer Hunter because of their configuration! This is why console gaming has become so popluar for PC game makers and for gamers. One game fits all. As PC games get more complex they will be more picky as to how they play on your system, for people who do not have a clue on how to make their system run anything out there this is going to suck for them. It is unfair yes but not much can be done about it by the game developers. If it is hardware compatibility then it is the develpers fault, but I have seen people with the exact same system here where one can run it and the other cannot. WHy do you think one person with one system runs it great where the other has a slide show? They got the same game so how can you blame Hasbro for the problem? As for any other bugs I think it sucks too that all these games are shipped like this but in this case it is more of a case where people with bad systems are trying to run a high end game. I am not counting the reticle bugs and things like that, I mean the majority of the complaints like frame rate issues. I have one of the lowest end machines on the board with only 128mb and I run it flawless on full detail The funny thing is I have so much confidence in my configuration I expected it despite the complaints because 9 times out of 10 that is what happens with every release I read complaints about. You want to see a screwed up game where people got screwed? Go read the Madden 2001 boards at maddencentral.com. 5 patches and the game STILL is not fixed!
Posts: 138 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
plummerx
Member # 3213

posted 12-04-2000 05:16 AM     Profile for plummerx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
So you agree then this is an industry wide problem.
The problems with B-17II are not configuration related in most cases. The trouble reports persist on all type and manner of harware, all set up per waywards instructions.
So, because madden football has bugs we have to tolerate them here? That is as tortured a premise as I have heard save for non-ownership of B-17 disqualifies one from commenting on it.
Until, and if the CTD problem is fixed in B-17II, there is nothing to talk about. That is a showstopper and MUST BE FIXED.

RSColonel_131st
Member # 7607

posted 12-04-2000 05:30 AM     Profile for RSColonel_131st   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
seem to repeat urself...
"this is a showstopper and MUST be fixed"

why not make that ur signature?

it starts to bore me reading the same sentence from the same guy all over this board...

Posts: 310 | From: Austria | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 12-04-2000 07:19 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by plummerx:
So you agree then this is an industry wide problem.
The problems with B-17II are not configuration related in most cases. The trouble reports persist on all type and manner of harware, all set up per waywards instructions.
So, because madden football has bugs we have to tolerate them here? That is as tortured a premise as I have heard save for non-ownership of B-17 disqualifies one from commenting on it.
Until, and if the CTD problem is fixed in B-17II, there is nothing to talk about. That is a showstopper and MUST BE FIXED.

The CTD issue is being addressed by Wayward *but* there is an easy solution just now that appears to work for the majority rather than the minority and that is to *turn down* the terrain setting to Balanced rather than Detail.
I have(and others)played many hours infront of this sim (me 40+ hrs) with no problems now.....which i'm sure wasn't the case when F4 was *first* released! ]
My how short our memories are Plummerx?

If you want total compatibility on all HardWare-buy a PS1/2 Dreamcast or other console.
Releasing a piece of cutting edge software and expecting cards/HW that are released a month or two down the line to work with it *after* the software is pressed and in the shops is an ABSOLUTE NONSENCE statement to make!
This is why you report problems to the said software manufacturer whom then informs YOUR card manufacturer whom THEN updates there drivers and fixes the problem!

It is very RARELY a Hardware problem and more often a DRIVER problem

The BIGGEST problem just now is copyright protection with DVD's.....but then piracy is to blame for that.

So say you get B-17II(i don't know if you intend to?) and it works fine on your system.....what a load of idle speculation you would have made..if it doesn't then that's what patches are for------and always will be,in a world of PC Harware that changes every second.

Think of *all* the permutations out there before making such a bold statement thus: "The point is it should run for EVERYONE."

That statement is fantasy land.....unless you own an undynamic platform ie a console.

Tracer

------------------
"Flying is the second greatest thing known to man!
The first is landing!!"

[This message has been edited by Tracer (edited 12-04-2000).]

Posts: 681 | From: Edinburgh,Scotland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jv44~Siggi
Member # 7455

posted 12-04-2000 08:52 AM     Profile for Jv44~Siggi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
So why does CFS2 work for nearly everyone? And EAW, Janes, SDoE, Half-Life, Predator, Close-Combat (1,2,3 and 4), Mig-Alley, King-Pin, Quake, Unreal-T...shall I go on?

A normal ball-park ratio would be 'Works for 80%, doesn't for 20%'
B17-2 reverses that statistic, if you take the number of people reporting probs on the BA forum as a representitive cross-section of owners globally.

The only reason I've been tolerant of the problems is I recognize that B17-2 is cutting-edge code and a damn fine sim...worthy of patience.

Posts: 226 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hertston
Member # 7363

posted 12-04-2000 12:18 PM     Profile for Hertston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Umm.... MiG Alley ?

How soon people forget.

In MA's case though, it was worth the wait, and for those with B17 2 problems, it will be too.

Posts: 246 | From: Torpoint, Cornwall, UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bard
Member # 7187

posted 12-04-2000 12:30 PM     Profile for Bard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by plummerx:
The point is not whether or not it runs for me. It may well.It may not. This is irrelevant. The point is it should run for EVERYONE.

Heh, sounds like you are from another planet.
Unfortunately PC's being what they are (dynamic, with an inifite amount of variations of hardware and software) not everything will work. If you want a piece of software to work everytime go buy a console.

99% of all problems are ID-10-T errors from 12 o'clock flashers who have shafted their system in any one of the infinite ways they can.

Probably the closest you are going to get to a PC related reliable platform would be a Mac (and i've heard about people complaining about sprockets and problems there too).

Posts: 170 | From: Vancouver Canada | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sneaky
Member # 3941

posted 12-04-2000 12:30 PM     Profile for Sneaky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Plummer, Siggi - you've said what you wanted to say, you've made your point - which is your right. In real life, if somebody becomes tiresome, I can just walk away - but here I can't, not if I want to stick around and learn more about my game. Now you are both inflicting your opinions and you can see that many are becoming tired of them.
I have a standard old AMDK62 500/128Mb and it runs flawlessly. I am as concerned as you to see things put right for those less fortunate than me. You HAVE made your point - now please stop.

Sneaky.

Posts: 264 | From: Cornwall England | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
plummerx
Member # 3213

posted 12-04-2000 01:49 PM     Profile for plummerx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Nope. The HAZZBRO NAZI'S will not prevail. All false assertions, misstatements, half truths and outright lies will be countered.
BomberBill
Member # 4222

posted 12-04-2000 03:54 PM     Profile for BomberBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
For those of you that say it runs flawlessly, how many missions have you flown? When I 1st got it, it ran fine for me too. But the longer I went in campaign mode, the more trouble with CTD's I encountered. This is particulary annoying considering the time you spend on one of these missions only to have it disappear on your screen. Yeah, I've got it & I'm complaining. NO other game or flight sim I've ever loaded or played gave me this trouble. Sorry fellas, you can't blame everybody's system. Face it, its the software.

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.