my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » B17 II Flying Fortress   » Help Please, what is beta testing?

Author Topic: Help Please, what is beta testing?
Major Bugs
Member # 8224

posted 12-02-2000 05:49 PM     Profile for Major Bugs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
whats up doc?
is it a form of game damage control ?
That might not be the right answer.
or is it something people do to a game when they buy it?

Please fill me in on this. I would like to know.

thanks

Posts: 43 | From: Toonville, TV | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
RSColonel_131st
Member # 7607

posted 12-02-2000 06:00 PM     Profile for RSColonel_131st   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
U dont mean that ironycaly, do u?

okay, I guess u do not, so heres the answer AFAIK:
Beta testing means that some guys like u and me (who registered for beta testing for example for hasbro)
get the beta (which means "not ready yet") version of the game, and play it. they have to report bugs to the companie which will then fix them. after months of testing, if no more bugs occure, the game gets "gold" and is released to the puplic. some guys here are whining that hasbo seems to let UK do the beta testing in this case...that might be why u are worried ;-)

btw, there are also alpha versions...this are the very early game versions.

Posts: 310 | From: Austria | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Schurem
Member # 1345

posted 12-02-2000 06:05 PM     Profile for Schurem   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
strange thing is, the coolest thing one can be in a gaming community is a beta tester. you get to play with hot new stuff and have a say in it's development.
i wonder why people are so angry about it then
take the Falcon 4.0 case. it wasn't even halfway Beta when it was released. look at it now. nuff said

*proud to be the first one in and the last one out*

Posts: 200 | From: nijmegen, netherlands | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hertston
Member # 7363

posted 12-02-2000 07:32 PM     Profile for Hertston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schurem:
strange thing is, the coolest thing one can be in a gaming community is a beta tester. you get to play with hot new stuff and have a say in it's development.

That's a matter of opinion Tried it once and never again - the finished product is usually buggy enough, without actively hunting down more of them. There are only so many gaming hours in a day, and I prefer them as bug free as possible......

Posts: 246 | From: Torpoint, Cornwall, UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Major Bugs
Member # 8224

posted 12-02-2000 09:30 PM     Profile for Major Bugs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
U dont mean that ironycaly, do u?
okay, I guess u do not, so heres the answer AFAIK:
Beta testing means that some guys like u and me (who registered for beta testing for example for hasbro)
get the beta (which means "not ready yet") version of the game, and play it. they have to report bugs to the companie which will then fix them. after months of testing, if no more bugs occure, the game gets "gold" and is released to the puplic. some guys here are whining that hasbo seems to let UK do the beta testing in this case...that might be why u are worried ;-)

btw, there are also alpha versions...this are the very early game versions.

Thank you colonel.

Well, no I do not know what it is. but if it is what you described then, I assume that we will be testing the game.

Just one thing though, how come we are paying to test a game? Shouldn't the game already have been tested? If not, how much do they pay us to test.
Is there a place to fill out an application or something? Do you have to be smart and have a diploma and all?

Thanks for any info.

Posts: 43 | From: Toonville, TV | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
PatrickCorbett123
Member # 8281

posted 12-02-2000 10:34 PM     Profile for PatrickCorbett123   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
RSColonel_131st good description but you messed up one thing. When the game goes `gold' that's based on sales, not beta testing.

Games can go gold before released, simply by pre-orders.

Sinkhole33
Member # 3684

posted 12-02-2000 10:56 PM     Profile for Sinkhole33     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Patrick - I think when you are talking of software, gold means that the developer has just approved the final version and the game is ready to be shipped.
Hertston
Member # 7363

posted 12-03-2000 05:57 AM     Profile for Hertston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yup... nothing to do with sales. It's the final "master" of the CD approved by the publisher.
Posts: 246 | From: Torpoint, Cornwall, UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
RSColonel_131st
Member # 7607

posted 12-03-2000 05:57 AM     Profile for RSColonel_131st   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay, I have to admit, I'm not really sure about this GOLD one...B-17 was told to "go gold now", and I assumed this has to do with the final version...but on the other hand, yes, it makes more sense compared to the sells.

anybody knows for sure?

Wasp
Member # 3002

posted 12-03-2000 06:18 AM     Profile for Wasp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There was beta testing on B17 ?
Wasp

Posts: 565 | From: Letchworth, Herts,England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Truro
Member # 679

posted 12-03-2000 08:35 AM     Profile for Truro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"There was beta testing on B17 ?"

Yes. Now it's in the Gold beta test phase. Everyone's invited.

Posts: 1441 | From: Tulsa, Ok | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
RSColonel_131st
Member # 7607

posted 12-03-2000 09:43 AM     Profile for RSColonel_131st   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Man, this gonna be the best beta tested game ever...with people all over the world working on it

Just why to we have to pay for beta testing? shoudnt it be the other way round?

Hell, anyway I love this game from what i have seen, and I sure will buy it...just a pity that none of the gold beta testers will show up in the game credits...well, if they would name all, they would prolly have to made a second CD ;-)

PatrickCorbett123
Member # 8281

posted 12-03-2000 11:39 AM     Profile for PatrickCorbett123   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, if gold refers to the final test/completed game, how do games go gold after the've been released?

What, after it's done, sold, and delivered, they decide it's done?

DBond
Member # 37

posted 12-03-2000 08:50 PM     Profile for DBond   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
some guys here are whining that hasbo seems to let UK do the beta testing in this case...that might be why u are worried ;-)

When they said that Wayward is letting the Brits Beta test it for the US it was a sarcastic comment reffering to the practice of releasing a game in Europe, letting them report all of the bugs that got through actual Beta testing, then fixing them so the US release isn't as bad.

Rowan did the same thing with MA.

When the game goes `gold' that's based on sales, not beta testing.
Games can go gold before released, simply by pre-orders.

LOL. Thanks man, you made my day.

Posts: 814 | From: Mays Landing, N.J.,USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.