my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » B17 II Flying Fortress   » Stop it -Stop it Buy it or Dont buy it

Author Topic: Stop it -Stop it Buy it or Dont buy it
Ed
Member # 4834

posted 12-02-2000 07:09 AM     Profile for Ed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dam guys enough is enough.
I cant believe you want to holf Iain responsible for patches and guarantees.
I have not recently heardof Iain coming down from mountain with the TEN COMMANTDMENTS nor has raised from the dead as did JESUS. The how can u hold Iain Responsible for the success or failure of a program. As I have stated before there are no such things as "0 Defects"
I purchased a program last year I Think called "Apollo 13" They not only didnt fix it. They seem to have left the Planet Earth"
But if u want to get close to a machine that might fit you situations then buy a "Playstation II" Ive heard it is a really good Video Game System. Im not sure but is it the PS2 that has the built in DVD?
My point is why punish yourselves with Computers. But to make totaly unacceptable demands on Iain and Wayward. Iain I think said theres a list at Bombs-away.net.(calling Dr. Bombay)
Like man said you can buy it and return it if your disapointed. But to keep harping on the same thing and without even owning it is totaly ludicres. Come on Plummerx give yourself and fellow Sim players a break. Thats not even mentioning your blood pressure climbs. Then you have high pressure which mean possible Stroke or Heart attack which also means no Insurance. B-17 looks like a great game and seems to work for most.
As for me and my Apollo 13 program i will keep trying to track them.

Ed

Posts: 74 | From: Bolingbrook IL | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sneaky
Member # 3941

posted 12-02-2000 07:54 AM     Profile for Sneaky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am with you, Ed. Over at EAW I criticised the notion of taking a game back to the retailer because one didn't "like it." However, if the game won't run on a perfectly good system that seems a good enough reason to return it. The guys are obviously taking note of what is said, and I am sure will give advice and correct problems if possible. If it still doesn't work then take it back.
Posts: 264 | From: Cornwall England | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
RSColonel_131st
Member # 7607

posted 12-02-2000 09:52 AM     Profile for RSColonel_131st   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Count me in!

I really tried to show the good sites of the game, and to stop people who dont own the game from whining....well, its hard to do. But u are perfectly right...it starts to hurt me richt in the a** that all over here the same BS is posted, and all refering to wayward and ian. about the "bring it back" option:

U see, usual here in austria, there is no software shop which has a reaturn policy. BUT even with this I see no risk of buying the game. As another poster said, there is this term in law: unfit for the indeneted use" or something like that. This means, if u have the specs listed on the box, and u cant run it (slow or fast is ur problem, but CTDs and stuttering on the Geforce means u cant run it...) then u can bring it back to EVERY retailer in the civilzet world. Its like buying a chainsaw which does not cut wood...u dont have a return policy for that in advance, but every shop has to take it back.

Thats it.

Posts: 310 | From: Austria | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
PatrickCorbett123
Member # 8281

posted 12-02-2000 10:16 AM     Profile for PatrickCorbett123   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree, I don't think I've ever bought a game that didn't have a bug in it..

They are working on the problem. I think if you have a problem, state the issue, state your specs, state how it came to be, and then wait.

Let them have time to find the exact cause and fix it. It takes a while to sift through millions of code of line.

Please be patient people, it's a good game.

JohnUK
Member # 278

posted 12-02-2000 10:49 AM     Profile for JohnUK   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Its a pity they cant quickly follow up with some kind of playable demo. Size wouldnt matter if mainly available on magazine cd/dvd disks
Posts: 762 | From: Bournemouth United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
plummerx
Member # 3213

posted 12-02-2000 01:37 PM     Profile for plummerx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Colonel, your definition of a "break" seems to decipher this way:
A. The game runs for me, so I could care less about anyone else.
B. I am a bigtime sucker, who doen't care if my software doen't work. I have money to burn.
C. Wayward are gods. They are sacrosanct and above any and all critisizm. The can do no wrong. They walk on water.
D. Anyone that says anything I don't like about this game, I will do my best to demonize.
No colonel, YOU give it a rest. And HasbRO? fix your broken and defective software.

Posts: 570 | From: Graham WA USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
ral
Member # 2748

posted 12-02-2000 03:44 PM     Profile for ral   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
plummerx..."And HasbRO? fix your broken and defective software." Earth to Plummerx...earth to plummerx...seriously, since it is a Hasbro project, it had to come out pretty good out of the box. After leaving F4 Partially done and having 3rd party developers imrove the sim same much (showing that it was possible) and releasing a tiny patch for Gunship 2, it ishard ot have faith in that company (I amused to buying and waiting for a fix...but this time the question is will thre be a fix)

------------------
http://www.dogfight.cjb.net

Posts: 868 | From: Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
gbarclay
Member # 1212

posted 12-02-2000 04:05 PM     Profile for gbarclay   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hail to plummerx......er bummerx. Our saviour.

Why don't we take up a collection to buy this cheapskate the sim.

I, for one, am tired of reading his same retoric, over and over and over and over and over, again, all over the forums.

I hope Admin takes note and sends this guy an E-Mail telling to stop and desist.

Wayward has already stated that they are trying to compile a list of the faults so that a fix can be done. The sim has only been out for a week. Give them a chance.

Gord

Posts: 485 | From: Surrey BC Canada | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Truro
Member # 679

posted 12-02-2000 04:34 PM     Profile for Truro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
plummer will never quit, I doubt. He should have been a politician.

I got a laugh out of his posts in a 3dfx support forum. For a month or so we all heard his tirade about how his V5 performance sucked, the card's performance was $hit. And he knew why, too. The drivers, they were $hit. He knew it, 3dfx was denying it, everyone who offered advice was an idiot. He knew how to configure a system and there was nothing wrong but the lousy V5 drivers. So the demeaning and demands for a fix went on..... until he changed joystick drivers and the V5 "driver problem" went away

Just do what I do when I see "plummerx" on the left side of the screen and I'm not in the mood/have heard it all before. Skip to the next post.

Posts: 1441 | From: Tulsa, Ok | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
RSColonel_131st
Member # 7607

posted 12-02-2000 04:56 PM     Profile for RSColonel_131st   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Plummerx, u know my opinion about a lot of ur posts...but beside that:

quote:

Colonel, your definition of a "break" seems to decipher this way:

Ed opened the topic and talked about giving them a break...that wasn't me.
Its right waht he said...but next time u call names, call the correct one, or are u to busy surfing the board up adn down and kill Hasbro?

plummerx
Member # 3213

posted 12-02-2000 05:11 PM     Profile for plummerx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Truro. I can say without question at this point that you are a liar. Plain and simple.
I invite you to post a url, to a post where I claim the voodoo 5 sucked. My only criticizm of 3dfx was that while they have improved Open GL and glide dramatically on the voodoo 5, performance increases in D3D have been tiny by comparasin.
Oh yes buddy, I REALLY hate 3dfx. that why I own TDFX stock and make webpages like this: http://members.nbci.com/panzerpics/Public/v5.html
Or this: http://members.nbci.com/panzerpics/cfs2.html
Flames are getting to be part and parcel for you, and now LIES as well.

plummerx
Member # 3213

posted 12-02-2000 05:19 PM     Profile for plummerx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
colonel, i'd apologise for the mixup, but i doubt you would appreciate it, so I'll just skip it. And i won't feel any remorse either.
RSColonel_131st
Member # 7607

posted 12-02-2000 05:27 PM     Profile for RSColonel_131st   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Plummerx, I just decided that I dont worry anymore what u doupt, what u would, or what u feel.

I'll go with Truros advice...for me, there are no more any post with "plummerx" on the left side. I'm a Officer and Gentleman most of my time...but as AndyC said (at least I think he was that...)the freedom of spech is just wasted on some people. So plz carry on posting whatever u like...I will not notice u any more.

[This message has been edited by RSColonel_131st (edited 12-02-2000).]

Major Bugs
Member # 8224

posted 12-02-2000 05:41 PM     Profile for Major Bugs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, what have we here?
"Plummerx, blahyada.........."
To the left is RSColonel. Strange never noticed him before. Hey Colonel, what is your particular problem?

If the shoe fits, wear it. None of this buy it don't buy it mumbo jumbo. That is for prattling little brats who cannot make up their own mind. Besides, topics like this look bad and makes that toy all the more peculiar.

Ed, RScolonel you guys work for hasbro or the makers of the game or something?

If so, instead of bitching about other peoples feelings you do us all a favor and fix what needs to be fixed. This way we can all get along and the game will be a monumental success!

Posts: 43 | From: Toonville, TV | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Unknown Soldier
Member # 7288

posted 12-02-2000 06:04 PM     Profile for Unknown Soldier   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Major Bugs...... do I know you?
RSColonel_131st
Member # 7607

posted 12-02-2000 06:20 PM     Profile for RSColonel_131st   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No Mj. Bugs, I dont work for the company, and dont think that Ed does. It just started to bother us that some guys here are posting all around what piece of crap the B-17II Code is, and how bad it is...without even having it. There have been very bad words toward hasbro/wayward and Iain especially, saying that they will drop this one, Iain plays a strange game here...blablabla....

Its the same reason I dont like Mr.Fagan: Nobody should play the lawer for all, come up here and start requesting fixes or patches or explanations or everything else from Wayward/Hasbro/Iain without even spending the price for the game to them.
Its a way often chosen by people who simply feel better if they can run there mouth and feel important about. We have a lot of them here in austria, and whenever I meet somebody like that in real life, I can plainly tell them to shut up. Here in the board, it just will damage the image of the game...and thats what we are working against. I like this sim to much for not trying to keep a good picture of it, and there are others who make it even better with showing screenshots, mpegs and all that stuff.

For me, due to the fact that I can not get it here now (Friday or saturday it will be fine =), its a very theorethical sport...should somebody be allowed to dam the sim down to the ground, not just for himself, but for the board-reading-puplic, judging from just what he have heared from others?
My answer for that is NO

[This message has been edited by RSColonel_131st (edited 12-02-2000).]

Schurem
Member # 1345

posted 12-02-2000 06:21 PM     Profile for Schurem   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
for some of us it is already

this very afternoon i've been on a very successful bombing run to the ruhr area.
got total devastation onto the targeted refinery and made it back with all six planes. fought hard and killed about ten huns from the tailgunner position (guess that mission to their flight school DID pay off) On the way back i checked everyone of my six planes for wounded after each time skip. made me wonder, because although it seemed a tedious thing to do i highly enjoyed skipping back and forth from the external to the internal view for all six of them. The pictures are just so pretty.
immersion is there in a big way, in fact i haven't experienced this kind of attachment to a bunch of statistics on my harddrive ever since Falcon3.0 for those who have ever played through one campaign in that game know what i mean another thing about the good old falcon3: i never played that through an afternoon without one or two crashes (after which i'd eagerly await reboot)
don't let negative people influence your opinion, don't let the positive ones either just make up your own after trying it

------------------
I just LOVE the smell of NAPALM in the morning

[This message has been edited by Schurem (edited 12-02-2000).]

Posts: 200 | From: nijmegen, netherlands | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
ScabFace
Member # 609

posted 12-02-2000 06:35 PM     Profile for ScabFace   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bought it & got it to work after some tinkering. Never intended to return it, regardless. I think it may have been released prematurely & it sure is a bit moth-eaten but I think after some teething problems this will turn out to be a good sim. I agree MicroProse & Hasbro have a bad history & I sure have a poor dollar times satisfaction over disappointment formula with their products but I believe Wayward is doing the best they can with their product. I apologize for my immature earlier post & you can sign me on for the tour. I agree, enough bitching. I have now forgotten & forgiven Across The Rhine. Now for some more ram for Xmas.
ScabFace

Posts: 92 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
ScottMG
Member # 1813

posted 12-02-2000 06:49 PM     Profile for ScottMG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Truro, you are spot on.

I can completely understand someone new here getting upset when someone like Plummerx comes along and posts such nonsense. After a while (200 or so whining posts about the exact same thing) you begin to realize that B-17 is the least of his problems.

It is at this realization where I just stop getting mad, sort of like that bum on the street we've all seen who yells at everyone who walks by. He lives in his world, and the majority live in another. I am not trying to be disrespectful here, just saying it like it is.

As this forum matures, you will see every newcomer get in an argument with people like Plummer, and then slowly they will, as I do and many here, just either read his post for a chuckle (honestly, I'm starting to feel sorry for the guy now), or simply skip right by it.

The real shame would be if Plummerx dragged this forum down, because Combatsim is such a great place to visit. Fortunately, I don't see that happening as there appears to be some very dedicated people in this forum already. This B-17 sim looks like it could generate a serious following.

plummerx
Member # 3213

posted 12-02-2000 06:56 PM     Profile for plummerx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You know what's dragging things down scotty? Personal attacks from people like you, that would rather hide the truth about B-17II, and sling mud at me. You seem to have trouble with what I say, but have no trouble in fanning the flames yourself. A bit hypocritical i'd say.
Jas24
Member # 8059

posted 12-02-2000 07:01 PM     Profile for Jas24   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Have never understood the ranting about buggy games.Computers were never designed and built to be game machines,operating systems aren't either.As posted above,if you want to have the perfect game machine then get a Play Station.
Posts: 8 | From: Inwood,WV | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
plummerx
Member # 3213

posted 12-02-2000 07:07 PM     Profile for plummerx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A program is a product. Claims are made for it. It must function as claimed. Period. Hasbro. Fix your product. It does not function as claimed.
For all those that bought it from retailers where it cannot be returned, you had best be prepared to offer full cash refunds.

Vancouver
Member # 6550

posted 12-02-2000 07:17 PM     Profile for Vancouver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just for the record, Hasbro does have a notice of Warranty and Liability on page 144 of the manual that states that "If you do not agree to be bound by these terms, you should immediately return the product to Hasbro [address], together with a dated proof of purchase, for a ful refund".

So if you want to return the game, you can do so via Hasbro directly, even if the retailer from whom you bought the game doesn't accept returns.

Posts: 147 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Truro
Member # 679

posted 12-02-2000 09:32 PM     Profile for Truro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think plummer is right about the driver thread. I can't find it in the archives, but I bet he's correct, I was thinking of another poster. His rants were about D3D performance, not lousy performance in general. So for the record, he never had trouble with his joystick drivers
Posts: 1441 | From: Tulsa, Ok | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Major Bugs
Member # 8224

posted 12-02-2000 09:43 PM     Profile for Major Bugs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok thanks again Colonel.

Unknown Soldier, I don't know, do you?
I posted in another topic a few times maybe you seen me there.

If you watch cartoons a lot, you would find a screwy wabbit on sooner or later.
That would be me!

"ehhhhh what's up doc?"

Posts: 43 | From: Toonville, TV | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
plummerx
Member # 3213

posted 12-02-2000 10:38 PM     Profile for plummerx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All is forgiven truro.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.