my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » B17 II Flying Fortress   » Older machine ?

Author Topic: Older machine ?
Biggs
Member # 6538

posted 11-27-2000 11:19 AM     Profile for Biggs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, good news if you have an older machine, like me….

My pc is a PII 300, 196mgs and a voodoo 2,Win98. Put in the cd in and it installed just fine( Though half way thru it asked me if I wanted to play right there and then ??)

Set it up for the 3d graphics card ( As I said a voodoo2), set the res for 800x600…..And off it went!!

I played the game for about 16 hours over the w/e, and it only crashed once. So IMHO it’s pretty stable, given all the other games I play I think it has to be one of the most stable….strangely enough the pc doesn’t like 1st person shooters, but loves the sims…..Just as well really.
As I remember rightly the default settings for the graphics are ‘balanced’, and the first time I ran it at this setting it was pretty clunky. So I reduced a few of the options to the ‘speed’ setting and things improved greatly. It’s a bit of a balancing act, me thinks, I guess it’ll be a case of experiment and find out/ set it to what you find acceptable. Even got a couple of option set to detailed and there wasn’t any performance hit that I could really detect….

I read somewhere that when you are in the external view and pan around the plane it has a bit of a hard time doing the re-fresh?…Yeah it’s the same on mine. The terrain (as you pan) starts off a bit fuzzy and sort of defines itself after a few seconds. If you pan from terrain to sky the clouds kinda… Whoosh…into view and then refine them-selves, but this takes an ‘Nth’ of a second to do and doesn’t detract from the atmosphere. Skipping time seems to be faster, when you’re looking at the map, rather than just hitting the ‘Return’ key, swapping views generally takes about 3-5 seconds.

But over all ??, even with a low end machine like mine ? If you don’t buy this sim, you’ll be missing out…BIG-TIME!! Fun factor 10.

I’m going to be playing this for years….

Posts: 287 | From: Stanstead,UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Johnkur38
Member # 7729

posted 11-27-2000 11:45 AM     Profile for Johnkur38   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well thats noce to hear. Since I have a P3450
256MB,I'm just Keeping my fingers crossed on this one.Got the game on order from the UK..And I hope they arn't useing those Chaps as bata testers for us Yanks here in the States

Posts: 64 | From: Springfield,Or,USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.