my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » B17 II Flying Fortress   » Hard Disk space you didn't know you had, free it up!

Author Topic: Hard Disk space you didn't know you had, free it up!
CavScout19D
Member # 7238

posted 11-26-2000 10:47 AM     Profile for CavScout19D   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Right click your recycle bin and goto properties. Depending on the size of your hard drive you may have over 200mb of space being hogged up here which would be better served in your swap file! Set it to 0% to regain all of your space, unless you really use the recycle bin.
Posts: 138 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snowman
Member # 1852

posted 11-26-2000 01:30 PM     Profile for Snowman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tip. Amazing to see how much space had been set aside.

And to think my recycle bin had been holding back from me for so long.

Posts: 336 | From: Enfield,NH USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Johnkur38
Member # 7729

posted 11-26-2000 05:53 PM     Profile for Johnkur38   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well i have,Size of drive 1.99GB and Space Reserved is 204MB Good/Bad? and if bad how do you move the 204MB over ?
Posts: 64 | From: Springfield,Or,USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snowman
Member # 1852

posted 11-26-2000 06:06 PM     Profile for Snowman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In r/bin properties, under global, put a check in the configure drives independently box and then you can slide them wherever you wish.

Good/Bad.....well all this does is "reserve" space so that you can fill up the recycle bin to whatever amount you specify before having to "empty" it. I choose 0 so that whenever I delete something it's done and does not have to sit in the recycle bin until I empty it. However, you may want to leave a little in case you delete something you didn't mean to. This way you can go into your bin and restore it.

[This message has been edited by Snowman (edited 11-26-2000).]

Johnkur38
Member # 7729

posted 11-26-2000 07:38 PM     Profile for Johnkur38   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Snowman, Virtual Memory, is that where you make your swap file and if so,I have in there C:\4812 MB free,nothing in min and nothing in max,and also how do you know what to but in those spaces
Snowman
Member # 1852

posted 11-26-2000 08:15 PM     Profile for Snowman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Johnkur,

Hmmm, the virtual memory question. You know, I'm not really sure about this one. Some will say it's a plus to set your own and others will say the advantages are minimal and could cause problems. I have set my own before with no problems, but really didn't notice too much of difference. I have more than enough space on my hard drives that perhaps it dosen't matter.

I really don't know, but it's worth figuring out because some are saying that setting their own v/memory has helped with some of the CTDs in B-17 II. If it works I'm all for it, but let's see if anyone else can help.

CavScout19D
Member # 7238

posted 11-26-2000 08:38 PM     Profile for CavScout19D   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What should work best on most systems that you play heavy memory using apps on is a permanent swap file. When windows manages it it does not always use the max amount available. To do this set your max and min to the same number and windows will always use that amount. Set to a sufficient amount depending on your system memory, 200 is usually good but I hear the game recommends 400mb. It is not wasted space and should help you out. Defrag your hard drive before setting it and use a second hard drive if you have one or use the fastest hard drive you got.
Snowman
Member # 1852

posted 11-26-2000 08:59 PM     Profile for Snowman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
CavScout,

What do you think would be good settings for me? What is the limit that you can set? My C drive is about 5000 mb with about 2000 free and my D drive (the fastest) has 20,000 mb with about 10,000 mb free. Could I set the min and max to say 500? All my games are stored on D and would like to get all the advantage I can. Any suggestions?

MY specs:
P3 600/133 fsb
256 megs PC133 ram
Geforce DDR

[This message has been edited by Snowman (edited 11-26-2000).]

patrickcorbett123
unregistered

posted 11-26-2000 10:46 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you are using Win ME, please try to find out the size of your restore points. For example, I talked to someone where his restore points were 22 GIGS large.
IP: Logged
Johnkur38
Member # 7729

posted 11-27-2000 12:09 AM     Profile for Johnkur38   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well to be honest guys, I don't even have the game yet But I do have it on order from the UK and should be here next week...So I think i'm jumping the gun...Or should I say i'm jumping on the Prob before I have the game.....Not Good..Who knows I might get a game that works on my sys.But one thing is for sure I'll have to keep All settings to low for I have a low end PC P3 450 mhz with 256MB But eye candy isn't that important to me.What is,is Fram rates and how smooth I can get it to run...........
CavScout19D
Member # 7238

posted 11-27-2000 05:23 AM     Profile for CavScout19D   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am not sure 500 would make a difference but try and see. It certainly will not harm your system you just may be wasting some space.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.