my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » B17 II Flying Fortress   » Not ment as an INSULT!

Author Topic: Not ment as an INSULT!
rjetster
Member # 3411

posted 11-24-2000 07:11 PM     Profile for rjetster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Its funny how much crying and complaining there is at this forum! The game was just released in Europe yesterday and what five or maybe ten people have it and for some itís not working properly, yet! But for some stupid reason itís the ones that do not have it that are selling this sim down the river and doing all the complaining. Well guess what this is as good as it gets now! Maybe in a few years Sims will be perfect. But not now! So please donít ruin it for the rest of us!
Posts: 56 | From: valley village,CA USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
plummerx
Member # 3213

posted 11-24-2000 07:20 PM     Profile for plummerx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To the contrary, from viewing the post here and at th BA forums, more are having trouble than not.
Also the positive comments have not been glowing.
It is already looking like this sim is in need of major patching, patching that may well never come.
These people have a right to complain. It's their money.

Posts: 570 | From: Graham WA USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Soundwave
Member # 7119

posted 11-24-2000 07:28 PM     Profile for Soundwave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Frankly, I don't take anyones comments after 1 day of playing seriously, especialy ones that say, "too much realism is boring." If B17-II just simulates flying a B-17 in an incredibly realistic way, it is worth every penny. Anything more is just a bonus.
expo
Member # 1752

posted 11-24-2000 07:57 PM     Profile for expo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For those of you in this thread...where is the complaining threads...i have not seen one yet...other than dx8 not working properly...and everything i have read is that is fixable...

do you guys just like making trouble?

expo

plummerx
Member # 3213

posted 11-24-2000 07:58 PM     Profile for plummerx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gameplay comments are usefull, but you are correect in giving the game a chance.
However,problems getting the program to run are to be taken seriously.

Posts: 570 | From: Graham WA USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
THEGhostrider
Member # 7494

posted 11-26-2000 12:27 AM     Profile for THEGhostrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey fellas,

I pre ordered this puppy seems like a year ago - played the original B-17 from MPS "til my fingers bled", and my machine would no longer run it. I actually asked MPS in '94 if they were ever planning on making an updated "B-17 II", and was told basically "Nope." Does anyone remember the true original "B-17 Queen of the skies" from Avalon Hill in the days of cardboard and dice wargames? (C. '87) Anyway, my point is this - how many games have ever been perfect on everyone's machine right out of the box? I've been playing computer games since 1990, and the answer is none. Period. There are way too many combinations and permutations of hardware and software out there. If you want to play the game, buy the damn thing, and work on the configuration of your machine, drivers, hardware upgrades, patches, etc... until you get it right. Where there's a will, there's a way. I have learned to EXPECT problems from new programs. They take work to get them to "dance and sing". I suppose that's half the fun of these sims for me - well, maybe not half, but there's a sense of accomplishment when you get that baby to run the way you want it to! Those of you who want these games to run perfectly on your system straight out of the box every time, you're playing the wrong kind of games - you need to get yourself a Sega Dreamcast or a Sony Playstation 2! No thinking or work required! Just plug it in and turn it on! They're not my bag, but truly, if there's not at least a little of the computer "tinkerer" in you, think about the platform you're trying to use. Just my thoughts - BTW, I'll be as happy as anyone the day when games are as easy to run on my PC as they are on a console, but meantime, "There's the way it outta be, and there's the way it is!" carry on guys - I can't wait 'til my copy arrives o/a 15 December. Thanks, chaps from accross the pond for all the previews!

------------------
"Rangers Lead The Way!"
Andrew D. Mylander
"Ghostrider"

Posts: 72 | From: Stansbury Park, UT, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Chivas
Member # 3370

posted 11-26-2000 01:19 AM     Profile for Chivas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There have been some problems. But the vast majority seem to think this sim rocks. From what I've heard so far I would buy the sim, and them make a judgement on how it suits my particular vision of what makes a good sim.
Posts: 46 | From: Ladysmith, B.C. Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMikey
Member # 4011

posted 11-26-2000 01:22 AM     Profile for TheMikey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry Ghostwriter, but yeah, I do expect them to play right out of the box. If that makes me a Playstation person (whatever the hell that means) than so be it. I,m not paying someone money to be a beta-tester. I don't know what games you've been playing but the one's I've bought this year, I've had no problem with. Like I said in another post, you shouldn't have to be a computer scientist to install a game. This is the only industry where mediocrity is accepted.

[This message has been edited by TheMikey (edited 11-26-2000).]

THEGhostrider
Member # 7494

posted 11-26-2000 09:21 AM     Profile for THEGhostrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with you in principle, however, as I said before, we are dealing with reality here, not idealism. Computer technology has a very long way to go before everyone's software and hardware is seamlessly compatible. Again, I will be as happy as any when it is, but at this stage in history, it ain't. That's reality.

------------------
"Rangers Lead The Way!"
Andrew D. Mylander
"Ghostrider"

Posts: 72 | From: Stansbury Park, UT, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
skcar
Member # 4801

posted 11-26-2000 09:29 AM     Profile for skcar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
THEMIKEY:

Are you running an AMD processor?I believe this is the source of a lot of problems with this sim besides the swap file issue,I still dont believe AMD and GEFORCE are completely compatible

Hertston
Member # 7363

posted 11-26-2000 09:40 AM     Profile for Hertston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"To the contrary, from viewing the post here and at th BA forums, more are having trouble than not"

No, those POSTING may have had. Those without troubles (the vast majority) are still stuck in their turrets. Granted, there obviously are compatibility issues though

"Also the positive comments have not been glowing"

ROFLMAO, you obviously havn't checked the BA boards for a while (for those who havn't visited, http://www.bombs-away.net ).

A lot of the guys who had problems now have the sim up and running via the FAQ route (and patient experimentation), and the place is now aglow with mini reviews and pilots tales saying how utterly wonderful it is. Which would be completely nauseating, if it wasn't true !

I do feel sorry for those who havn't been able to get it to run. But people, you just HAVE TO HAVE THIS if you have any interest in the subject matter. Buy it with a return option, but buy it. Ignore those who base their comments on what they have read, not what they have seen, and whiners complaining about being "unimpressed with the graphics", or the skimpiness of the (surprisingly comprehensive) manual. B17 IS ESSENTIAL. Your virtual aviation life will never be the same again.

[This message has been edited by Hertston (edited 11-26-2000).]

Posts: 246 | From: Torpoint, Cornwall, UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
KRIMEWAVE
unregistered

posted 11-26-2000 11:01 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"ROFLMAO, you obviously havn't checked the BA boards for a while (for those who havn't visited, http://www.bombs-away.net )."

Why bother? Over there, anyone who posts anything even remotely critical of the sim is ridiculed repeatedly by the B-17 II Jihad.

Check out this abomination of a thread-
http://www.bombs-away.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/004625.html

This guy was trying to start people off on a contructive bug list. What does he get in return? He gets ridiculued. One person even demanded that he make a list of things he likes about B-17 II. Another person expressed their worries that Wayward might get offended and not visit anymore.

IP: Logged
Jordi
Member # 2937

posted 11-26-2000 11:28 AM     Profile for Jordi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi,

I am the Jihad he is talking about.

In the thread he is talking about I justed aksed him to post 5 good points ALSO. I do not have a GOLD copy yet just Sept beta so I am not in a postion to post 5 good things about the RELEASE Version.

In that thread 1 person agreed with the commentsbut felt they did not rank above the good parts of the game. Another person's complaints were he did not have the game. Another person has it and it did not work on his pc but did on his Laptop. Another person flet that we should not be critical of a person posting crital post. Another person suggested taking the problems to the trouble shooting forum. Another 5 good thing then another 5 bad things. A comment about not scarying off Wayward again. A questoin about weather ( should have been posted in the trouble shooting forum ). A deteail post to one list of 5 problems. A responce about a person not having problems. A complait to Hasbro not wayward and an aswer to teh weather question.

I would not consier that thread an abomination.

Your milage may vary.

Jordi

quote:
Originally posted by KRIMEWAVE:
"ROFLMAO, you obviously havn't checked the BA boards for a while (for those who havn't visited, http://www.bombs-away.net )."

Why bother? Over there, anyone who posts anything even remotely critical of the sim is ridiculed repeatedly by the B-17 II Jihad.

Check out this abomination of a thread-
http://www.bombs-away.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/004625.html

This guy was trying to start people off on a contructive bug list. What does he get in return? He gets ridiculued. One person even demanded that he make a list of things he likes about B-17 II. Another person expressed their worries that Wayward might get offended and not visit anymore.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.