my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » B17 II Flying Fortress   » Latest News on Multi-Player (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Latest News on Multi-Player
JG2_FireCat!
Member # 225

posted 08-29-2000 04:17 AM     Profile for JG2_FireCat!   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Originally posted by "Scylla" on Bombs-Away.net:

>>>>I've spoken to Hasbro in my capacity as a journalist, and I've been told it's OK to pass this on to you.

There will be no multiplayer. They say it would delay the release date to an unacceptable degree. They say they're genuinely sorry that this will disappoint some people, but that it's unavoidable.

The game is finished and is being bug-tested, and will be released on October 6th.<<<<

Posts: 172 | From: Venice Beach, California | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Buzzman
unregistered

posted 08-29-2000 05:22 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the insight,

Very bad news for all of us here on the net. I feel Wayward owe us all an apology for getting our hopes up. The multiplayer option that was to be in the game would have been like a milestone for flight sims (being able to fly with 9 other real people in the 1 bomber. I am still looking forward to the game, but I think a couple of months delay to get the multiplayer into it would have been worth it!! Waywards profits would have doubled, if not tripled! I must admit, I especially updated to an Athlon 800 which cost me over $2000 (Ozzie dollars) just to be able to play this game against others on the net!! I'm personally very peeved!

From a very disappointed Gamer.

IP: Logged
patrickcorbett123
unregistered

posted 08-29-2000 05:38 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I have two things to say:

(a) Damnit, I was really looking forward for the multiplayer and one of the reasons I wanted this game. Oh well, I'll stil get the game, but it blows away most of my interest

(b) I guess we can't complain too much, I remember the days when you might know when a game was coming out, but didn't know anything really about it.

Frankly, we can't be too bad, it's not like the put the game on the shelf with a box that said multiplayer and it didn't have it. Really the game is in development and that's what they were hoping to put in.

Although I think Hasbro should think hard about their contract with Wayward. I know that there are deadlines, but frankly, if an extension on the deadline (since they've already had lots) will increase says by about 20%, I think that would be an acceptable reason.

Anyways, what is done is done. Welcome to the computer gaming industry. What it comes down to, is, we put too much hype into a game that was being developed. Thus, we were let down. Which is part of too mych Hype.

Well, have a good day folks

NightsEye
unregistered

posted 08-29-2000 07:14 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Couldn't have said that any better myself
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 08-29-2000 07:47 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nicely put Patrick. A well thought out rational post......in short a rarity in light of all the verbal abuse flying about!

(can i have one of your free copies that your getting aswell!)

Only joking

Tracer

Posts: 681 | From: Edinburgh,Scotland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Yoda
Member # 2024

posted 08-29-2000 08:05 AM     Profile for Yoda   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Buzzman:
Thanks for the insight,

Very bad news for all of us here on the net. I feel Wayward owe us all an apology for getting our hopes up.

My guess is, the people at Wayward are more disappointed than we are. Hasbro is wagging the tail, not Wayward. I'm not at all suprised. Just disappointed. I think I'll download "Another one bite's the dust" so I can play it when this happens over and over.
I retired because the co. I worked at for many years was taken over and started the downhill thing. At least in that case there was something I could do!

[This message has been edited by Yoda (edited 08-29-2000).]

Posts: 124 | From: Valley Springs,CA,USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Viking1
Member # 5

posted 08-29-2000 08:28 AM     Profile for Viking1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I suggest a proposal to Wayward is in order.

The volume of code necessary to transmit relates to all the crew positions and their movements, I expect.

But I doubt that would be a problem over a LAN the way it is a problem over the net.

I propose we encourage Wayward to release a later update allowing LAN play. This game could become the most popular LAN sim ever.
If they were to release the LAN update via a direct download for a fee ($20?) I'll bet they could easily cover their costs to bring it to readiness.

Posts: 917 | From: Kelowna BC CANADA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cool_1
Member # 3791

posted 08-29-2000 11:15 AM     Profile for Cool_1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with Viking1,

Can we put out a petition asap on the Combatsim home page ????

With the majority of UK 'home'users not on LAN or Broadband networking, (although it is gaining ground fast) I believe that we should put our money where our mouth is, and look at it as a future investment in a Sim title with tons of potential !!!

LAN MP/ Extra aircraft /skins / ATC / War rooms etc etc...

Please can someone look at getting this to Hasbro/Wayward asap !!! I for one, certainly would pay extra 20/30 UK pounds for an MP / feature add on !!!

Even the Bloody Playstation will probably have MP support over Broadband networks !!!

[This message has been edited by Cool_1 (edited 08-29-2000).]

Posts: 100 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
patrickcorbett123
unregistered

posted 08-29-2000 12:01 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just for fun, here's a good conspiracy for ya:

Wayward was having some basic problems with the multiplayer, asked Hasbro for an extenstion. Hasbro says no, thinking, we'll get the game out and make a $50 add on pack for multiplayer a few months down the line.

It wouldn't suprise me.

Jedi Master
Member # 3223

posted 08-29-2000 08:46 PM     Profile for Jedi Master   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Except according to the news here on combatsim, there will be no patch adding MP later on. It doesn't specifically say no addon that you PAY for, though. Perhaps if the sales are high enough, Hasbro will support an addon. Of course, keeping in mind that you never sell as many addons as you do the original products...
The Jedi Master

Posts: 477 | From: Coral Springs, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
patrickcorbett123
unregistered

posted 08-29-2000 09:07 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Very true, but I wrote the message before I read that article =)
Angered1
Member # 6491

posted 08-29-2000 11:43 PM     Profile for Angered1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
THATS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!I SIMPLY CANNOT BELIEVE THIS!!!!!!! GAMING IS NO LONGER THE RELIABLE SOURCE OF ENJOYMENT AND CHALLENGE IT USED TO BE. THE HARDCORE GAMING COMPANIES OF YESTERDAY WHO WORKED TO PLEASE THE GAMER ARE GONE, REPLACED BY MINDLESS DRONES WHO KNOW NOTHING OF FUN OR INTELLIGENT CHALLENGE, WHO ARE NO LONGER COMMITTED TO THE PEOPLE WHO THEY WORK FOR, THE GAMERS, BECAUSE THEY ARE ONLY COMMITTED TO THEIR GREED!!!!!!SIERRA WITH BABYLON 5, DESERT FIGHTERS, AND OTHERS; INTERPLAY WITH SECRET OF VULCAN FURY AND KLINGON ACADEMY; AND MANY OTHERS WHO DO NOT FULFILL THEIR PROMISES. AND NOW THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS TRULY A SAD DAY, FRIENDS. I ONLY HOPE THAT, SOMETIME IN THE NEAR FUTURE, A COMPANY HAS THE GUTS TO SEE A GOOD GAME PRODUCED IN FULL, AND THE INTELLIGENCE TO ACCEPT THAT IS A PRODUCT IS WORTH WAITING FOR, THE FANS WILL WAIT!
Baz
Member # 5946

posted 08-29-2000 11:55 PM     Profile for Baz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Face it gentlemen, HASBRO, nobody else is to blame here. Hasbro screwed EVERBODY, with F4, and now they are doing it again. Sorry but IT WAS THE MULTIPLAYER that made this sim something worwhile buying, nobody here can argue that point, unless they are being diplomatic just for the sake of being so.

But then again, its not our company and we arn't interested in Pokemon either are we ?

Posts: 43 | From: Brisbane , Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
randy
Member # 1149

posted 08-30-2000 12:58 AM     Profile for randy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Baz,

I agree completely.MP was what this game
was about. I won't touch it until it's
$10.00 in some bargain bin. Shouldn't be
more than two months after it's relaese.
Whenever that is.

randy

Posts: 138 | From: Washington | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
miol
Member # 6211

posted 08-30-2000 02:23 AM     Profile for miol   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I donít know any sim freaks (beside myself) I can play with over LAN (and I donít a an ADSL line either), so I never intended to play it with other people in the firs place.

In essences, I donít rally care, as long as the other game features remains in the game.

Silent Hunter II seems as a far grater disappointment, but thatís another story.

Posts: 16 | From: Copenhagen, Denmark | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nolan
Member # 1753

posted 08-30-2000 04:47 AM     Profile for Nolan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This kinda makes you wonder if it's a natural gift of Hasbro execs or if they do try harder than everybody else to really suck in publishing and PR.

/Nolan

Posts: 307 | From: Lund, Sweden | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
P2
Member # 2818

posted 08-30-2000 06:31 AM     Profile for P2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I must say that Hasbro has done it again... They stuck it to the followers of F4 and now they are going to try and rip us off with B17.... I don't know about the rest of you but when I buy a sim, one of the most important things I look for is the multiplayer aspect... I was really looking forward to getting my lan night buddies together... one of us as the pilot and the rest gunners and flying CAP... well thanks to Hasbro that won't be happening now... I won't be buying this product, not even from a bargin bin. Hasbro... you guys suck!
Posts: 18 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tyler McFly
Member # 2141

posted 08-30-2000 07:37 AM     Profile for Tyler McFly   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Multi player meams nothing to me. I have never used it with any sim. Maybe that's my loss and your gain but it just never appealed to me. And my suspicions are (and probably that of the developer) that multiplay is a very minor segment of the sim community.
Every little extra in a sim is always welcome but in this case I wouldn't throw out the baby with the bath water. - McFly

Posts: 241 | From: North Hills, CA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ceebee
Member # 1216

posted 08-30-2000 07:48 AM     Profile for Ceebee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You have your opinion, and I value that, but to me MP is a very big thing. Theres nothing like panning right/left and seeing your wingman and talking to him when he's on the other side of the Atlantic, B17 had so much going for it, personally I've give this one a miss, hasbro have had enough of the sim market and are gunshipping B17. Its a shame as I was looking forward to the multiplay aspect of this one!

Ceebee

Posts: 433 | From: Northumberland, UK | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
PipsPriller
Member # 5824

posted 08-30-2000 08:00 AM     Profile for PipsPriller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Someone in the Marketing Department at Hasbro is making a BIG Mistake.

Sales of flight sims rely on 2 things' namely:
a) quality and innovation of the game - which, from all reports, B17 II has aplenty
b) multiplayer

B17 will sell. No doubt about it. Will it make a lot of sales? I doubt it very much. Two examples come to mind. The first is Mig Alley. An excellent sim, well modelled, immersive, interesting and challenging. But very low sales because it does not have the ability to grow through a quality multiplayer setup.

The second is CFS. The sim success story of'99. Its a good product, not outstanding, but solid. With both multiplayer and add ons though it is unbeatable. Just look at the numbers playing on the zone - always around 400 - 450. Look at the sales figures Abacus claim for their add ons - Pacific Theatre 40,000 and Battle for Midway 20,000. Those numbers are high because CFS sales are high.

Big mistake Hasbro, Big mistake. And what makes it worse is that even after the product has been released - so that launch dates are met - there is no planned revamp to include multiplayer at a later date as an upgrade.

You've just lost one sale. Me. You may think that's not many. But I think you will be surprised at how many Me's there are.

Posts: 187 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ceebee
Member # 1216

posted 08-30-2000 08:13 AM     Profile for Ceebee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm another "me"
Bank-Shot
Member # 6039

posted 08-30-2000 08:44 AM     Profile for Bank-Shot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No multiplayer!! That is indeed bad news.
Like some of the others have said I too
enjoy playing sims online. I really dont think I will be getting this one without it.
The sad thing is that if this disappointment dramticly affects the sales of the game the
exec's at Hasbro will be the last ones who will take the blame. Then when other potential publishers are thinking about
releasing a WWII based flight sim in the future, they will be put off since a market study will reveal poor sales in that area.
Here is to hoping Hasbro's mistake doesnt do long term damage to the WWII sim genre.
Bank

Posts: 33 | From: Sa Tx | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Duke
Member # 1126

posted 08-30-2000 08:49 AM     Profile for Duke   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Another "me".

Might as well stay with EAW at this point.

------------------
Duke
189th VFS
X/O

Posts: 82 | From: Plano, Tx USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ceebee
Member # 1216

posted 08-30-2000 09:26 AM     Profile for Ceebee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bank-Shot,

I don't think that they will effect the WWII sim genre but it might change the online aspect of the genre, forcing companies to adopt a subscription system/monthly fee with the posibility of purchasing aircraft as an update to the game, I can see this happening and there are a few articles on this subject. AH does very well and is growing at a massive rate, CFS2 will be massive for the multiplay features plus people will by it was CFS did very well. Really cant believe the short sightedness of some companies.

Ceebee

Spin Doctor
Member # 77

posted 08-30-2000 09:45 AM     Profile for Spin Doctor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cool_1:
I agree with Viking1,

Can we put out a petition asap on the Combatsim home page ????

With the majority of UK 'home'users not on LAN or Broadband networking, (although it is gaining ground fast) I believe that we should put our money where our mouth is, and look at it as a future investment in a Sim title with tons of potential !!!

LAN MP/ Extra aircraft /skins / ATC / War rooms etc etc...

Please can someone look at getting this to Hasbro/Wayward asap !!! I for one, certainly would pay extra 20/30 UK pounds for an MP / feature add on !!!

Even the Bloody Playstation will probably have MP support over Broadband networks !!!

Not to burst your bubble dude but, none of this is going to happen. Wayward has no say in the matter. You've already seen Hasbro's track record. I realize that it's been a long time coming, but I'm afraid that this sim is probably not gonna be what I think you want. Get used to it. I really hate to be pessimistic, but if you don't get your hopes too high you can't be as dissapointed at the final outcome.

One can always hope, but as Ben Franklin said, "He who lives on hope will die of starvation."

------------------
Objects on your six may be closer than they appear...

Spin Dr.

[This message has been edited by Spin Doctor (edited 08-30-2000).]

Posts: 321 | From: Lusby, Md | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
King Rat
Member # 5415

posted 08-30-2000 10:32 AM     Profile for King Rat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cutting the multiplayer is disappointing. That was, from my POV, the compelling angle to the title. I mean, solo play in a single seater is one thing but those bombers were inherently a team experience. Cutting that guts the whole point of a sim thereof.

It may be that having up to nine other guys times dozens of such networked planes is an idea before its time given current last mile bandwidth realities. Nevertheless I doubt I'll get the game at all now unless some compulsion to simply fly a bomber around (not in combat) strikes my fancy. And that's presuming the hyper-realistic controls are still included in the game. Things like cowling adjustments. Dunno, but I'm disappointed and guess I won't get a chance to play it with my former B-24 bombardier instructor father-in-law after all.

Posts: 275 | From: Utah, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
StugIII
unregistered

posted 08-30-2000 11:23 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I for one am not getting into this SP vs MP battle, different stroke's for different folk's. I have been an avid PC simulator fan for around 15yrs now, so 2/3rd of my flying time has been SP and about 1/3rds has been MP. I enjoy them BOTH. Now on that note I have only one thig to say on this "without MP this game is dead" and "who want's to fly a lumbering bomber by yourself" issue. It's a shame allot of you guy's probably were not around when the first B-17 game came out. You might understand why some of us older farts, while we do feel as let down about the MP issue as anyone else, will still buy B-17II MP or not. I know allot of you younger guy's have seen B-17I and are probably asking "what's was the appeal?". All I can say is you had to be there
King Rat
Member # 5415

posted 08-30-2000 11:46 AM     Profile for King Rat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm 41, kids, home, UNIVAC and slide rule in earnest user, etc, so I don't think it's an age / past computer experience thing. I did not play the original B-17 game but my mind was interested in the team needed to fly a bomber in the mark 2 version. Now it's just another Microsoft Flight Sim with a bomber wrapper that could have been found at an add-on fan site.
Posts: 275 | From: Utah, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
JG26_Frost
Member # 1865

posted 08-30-2000 12:33 PM     Profile for JG26_Frost   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OMFG!!!! Ok I really want to swear my head off, but in good taste I will keep my profanity to myself. Hasbro the kings of the screwgie! When is this company going to get out of the sim buis, dont let the door hit your ass on the way out guys. Im sick of this company and its crap. Go back to making your damn toys and leave the computer games to companies that know how to make them. I was really looking forward to the MP of this sim. My squad JG26 has stopped playing WW2F because it got old, but this sim had so much potential. I will still buy it because I think wayward got screwed in the deal. So Ill give em my money, plus the sim still has potential as a SP sim. But Hasbro will get poor sales and blame the sim crowd and that its too small bla bla, all the same crap they have been puking up out of thier mouths the whole time. When its thier own damn fault for castrating the damn game. Yea its like Im the Ford motor company, and Ive got this really cool new SUV and you can drive it over mountains etc. and through mud like in all the commercials, but we decided not to allow any towing. So you cant haul your boat or camper around. Sure not all customers need to haul a boat and it can still drive through the mud, but I mean come on. I was waiting for Hasbro to screw this project and it looks like they hit the ass in the hole! IL-2 here we come, now heres a company that knows what the ppl want, they went out and got squad logos to put in the game before the freaking thing is even done. Looks like JG26 will be a IL26 MP sim squad while we sim masturbate with B-17. Guess I wont see you in the skys of B-17, we can always make pretend, cause thats what Hasbro is all about making pretend, just like thier toys.

------------------
A story is told of a BUDS class standing at attention in front of a large sand berm. Suddenly one of the SEAL instructors quietly climbed to the top of the berm. There in full view of the class he shielded his eyes from the sun and stared out to sea searching the entire horizon from side to side. When he finished he walked down the hill and stood in front of the class."Does anyone know what I'm looking for?" he asked. No one replied, he paused before he spoke, "I'm looking for war."

[This message has been edited by JG26_Frost (edited 08-30-2000).]

Posts: 75 | From: Portland Maine USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Velcro
Member # 2122

posted 08-30-2000 05:05 PM     Profile for Velcro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dear Hasbro,

No Multiplayer = no sale.

------------------
Damon 'Velcro' Rue
FNGO - 209th VFS
not insane, I said I'm inplane

Posts: 186 | From: Vacaville,CA http://www.deltahawks.org | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kamando
Member # 6262

posted 08-30-2000 05:28 PM     Profile for Kamando   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by patrickcorbett123:
Well, I have two things to say:

1) HASBRO SUCKS
2) THEY NOW HAVE A RECORD OF SCREWING OVER THEIR CUSTOMERS

StugIII
unregistered

posted 08-30-2000 09:56 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi King Rat,
Your right, it's not an age thing, I'm a couple year's behind you but it is very much a past computer experience thing. You stated youself you never played the original B-17. I can almost say with 75% assurance that if you did play the original B-17, when it first came out, MP or no MP you would probably be buying B-17II. The original was more than that (MP or SP), if B-17II can capture that magic of the original, you will care what happen's to you crew even if they are just AI! I remember I used to get really peeved when one of my crew got killed or wounded, then I'd have sweat out several mission's till I got that new crew member got up to speed, or my wounded crewmen returned. I remember allot of times with a rookie navigator, having to fall out of formation, badly damaged, wounded and dead on board, somehow getting past the jerry's trying to pick off my wounded bird, and barely getting back to England (and sometimes not!)on vapor's, and because the landing gear was shot out, belly landing on the runway! (many times the closest runway I could find). And these kind of mission's were more the majority of my experiance with B-17! Come to think of it, I played that game for close to 2yrs (off and on) and only had two or three bomber's crew (never all the original guy's I started with) make 25 mission's. I use to keep a log book of all the names of the different B-17's I flew, number of mission's flown, target's attacked, mission results, crew member's assigned to the a/c and thier fate's. It was almost as real as any book I ever read about B-17 mission's deep into Germany, except my AI crew left no loved ones behind to grieve for them as in real life. I still remember the hapless feeling when the CO would pull down the screen and I would see the mission for today was... Munster, Regensburgh, Oschersleben or Mannheim. Another thing too, everyone always seem's to talk mostly about the fighter's in B-17II, yes they were very dangerous and you can fly them in the game, but there is a danger that most don't even think of..flak! I think I lost almost as many planes too flak as to fighter's! Nothing more heartbreaking then scoring a direct hit on your target, just to have your plane explode from a flak burst in the fuel tank's(that happened allot too)! Now I do agree with 100% of what most people are saying here "screw Hasblo". But I would suggest this much to everyone still sitting on the fence, buy B-17II from a retailer where you can return it, play it for a couple days, then decide whether to keep it or not. Or wait till it's in the bargin bin after several month's. Either way if this game does turn out to be as good a SP game as it older brother was, you are going to be quite pleased. Why punish yourself and maybe miss out on a great sim? Hasblo can careless one way or the other, they have already shown that.

Bank-Shot
Member # 6039

posted 08-31-2000 08:30 AM     Profile for Bank-Shot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I for one would be willing to pay a reasonable monthly fee to be able to play my favorite flight sim online. I have already invested a great deal of money in my equipment not to mention time. I would however, expect a superior product for my money. Not an outdated server that produces
a ton of lag and is offline half the time.
Perhaps with the wave of people investing
in high speed connections we will see the
market turn towards something like that.
I hate to say it but think about what playing B-17II would have been like online
with more than half the people using a
modem connected at 30K or less. I personally like online servers that allow the host to set the latency limits to join the game.
At least that way you can get in a decent game without planes warping all over the place.
Bank

Posts: 33 | From: Sa Tx | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Truro
Member # 679

posted 08-31-2000 12:52 PM     Profile for Truro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't think multiplay is that technically impossible. Air Warrior III has B17's flying as you read this, with 6 gunners onboard interacting with friend and foe. All it takes is a decent dial up connection. Maybe Hasblo should pay for some 2 year old code from Kesmai.

Posts: 1441 | From: Tulsa, Ok | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ceebee
Member # 1216

posted 08-31-2000 01:00 PM     Profile for Ceebee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hasbro isn't going to give thier money to anyone, unless its redundancy payments around Christmas time!
Stevies
unregistered

posted 08-31-2000 03:10 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I`m one sad fellow, but I`m afraid I saw this coming when Iain at Wayward stopped posting. Poor guy must`ve been gutted cos he sounded so upbeat for so long. It`s just a shame it was Hasbro that took over the show and not some reputable company. Dunno what I`ll do now. I loved B171 but to give into these aholes really goes against the grain.
I think I`ll buy IL and then wait for b17 to hit the bins. I mean what`s the point? I was prepared to wait for the finished product with MP so I can wait about the same time for the sim to cost bugger all.
Sad day guys.
Stevie.

Jws
Member # 2044

posted 08-31-2000 03:47 PM     Profile for Jws   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is just another reason, sadly, why I am slowly shifting my interests from flight sims. Frankly, last year's wave, at least for quite a while, was the last. I think Jane's F/A-18 in January was the last quality jet sim I've bought.

I picked up EECH recently, and it's an excellent sim. However, it is becoming clear that sims like EECH are becoming very few and far between, the market is becoming so bare that even Gunship type crap is fading away.

I will be getting my real world pilot's license soon...the civilian flight sim market still has life, partly because Microsoft participates in it with force, and some new and excellent competitors like Fly! (after patching, and scenery upgrades that is) are out there. But most of the civvie sims (that survive) typically go on a two year cycle between versions, and today there are only two.

If the death of hardcore sims bothers you guys, try some other types of games. I know you might not like shooters (I do, but I'm still young ) but try something like Shogun...I did and will never regret it, easily one of the best strategy games I've ever played. If you can stomach it, go for Deus Ex - yes, a shooter, but a thinking one. Realistic enough and by far deep enough to please a hardcore sim user like me.

Even so, eventually we will see a rebirth in the sim market, when some enterprising company with talent behind it sees a vacuum in the market.

Posts: 174 | From: Naples, FL, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stevies
unregistered

posted 08-31-2000 03:59 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jws:
This is just another reason, sadly, why I am slowly shifting my interests from flight sims. Frankly, last year's wave, at least for quite a while, was the last. I think Jane's F/A-18 in January was the last quality jet sim I've bought.

I picked up EECH recently, and it's an excellent sim. However, it is becoming clear that sims like EECH are becoming very few and far between, the market is becoming so bare that even Gunship type crap is fading away.

I will be getting my real world pilot's license soon...the civilian flight sim market still has life, partly because Microsoft participates in it with force, and some new and excellent competitors like Fly! (after patching, and scenery upgrades that is) are out there. But most of the civvie sims (that survive) typically go on a two year cycle between versions, and today there are only two.

If the death of hardcore sims bothers you guys, try some other types of games. I know you might not like shooters (I do, but I'm still young ) but try something like Shogun...I did and will never regret it, easily one of the best strategy games I've ever played. If you can stomach it, go for Deus Ex - yes, a shooter, but a thinking one. Realistic enough and by far deep enough to please a hardcore sim user like me.

Even so, eventually we will see a rebirth in the sim market, when some enterprising company with talent behind it sees a vacuum in the market.

miol
Member # 6211

posted 09-01-2000 04:01 AM     Profile for miol   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
StugIII,

I agree with you here, those of us who experienced B-17 I (in my case on an Amiga 500) look forward to relive our glories days as virtual bomber crews.

MP or not, B-17 was one of the kind, hopefully B17 II gonna be the same (I think it will anyway).

And as I have already said MP isnít that important anyway, especially since they seem to have created some fine AI controlled crews in this game.

Hasbo sucks (I know Axes & Allies: Iron Blitz have bugs and no patch), but Microprose still have some credit left in my book.

Posts: 16 | From: Copenhagen, Denmark | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Buzzman
Member # 6533

posted 09-01-2000 10:50 PM     Profile for Buzzman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
StuggIII and Miol,

I am with you guys all the way on this. I think this game is going to be great even without MP. I'm the same as you, I played B17I over and over for around 2 years (by the way I'm 26) and completed the 25 mission campaign. This newer version will be just as great, but with brand spanking new graphical splendour, sound effects (B17 sound effects actually sampled from the real thing, in all compartments ), awsome detail on ground targets and the terrain itself.

If there was MP though, I would be asking you guys to be my crew, as you sound like you already have love for this game as much as I do.

I just wish it wasn't a month away

Regards
Buzzman

Posts: 42 | From: Heyfield, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.