my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » B17 II Flying Fortress   » Take off procedures

Author Topic: Take off procedures
Lucky_1
Member # 352

posted 10-30-1999 08:29 PM     Profile for Lucky_1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hate to sound persnickety, but I was watching the Mpeg movies of this sim and noticed something in the take off sequence of the B-17. I see the belly turret moving. From what I've read, no one was in the belly gun when the plane took off or taxied, one because it was uncomfortable.

Just was wondering if Wayward fellas knew this, but don't worry, if you don't fix it aw well I'm buying this sim no matter what. I can't wait for it. Keep up the good work.

Posts: 635 | From: Knoxville, TN. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jeronimo83
unregistered

posted 10-31-1999 03:22 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe you could post threads like that best at the 'wishlist' forum on www.bombs-away.net
I don't want to put combatsim.com's forums in discredit, but that forum is, I think, the best forum to comment on possible mistakes in the game.

Jeronimo83

IP: Logged
Lucky_1
Member # 352

posted 10-31-1999 08:38 AM     Profile for Lucky_1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I tried posting there, I was a long time member of it, but now it won't let me post there, says I'm no longer registered.
Janders
unregistered

posted 10-31-1999 04:03 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's a quick answer gleaned of the Bombs Away Forum:
The AI Gunners in the game were not fully programmed, so they were set to always-scanning, which resulted in a belly gun moving when takign off....
Have no fear though, tis already been fixed!
_JSA

Lucky_1
Member # 352

posted 10-31-1999 08:53 PM     Profile for Lucky_1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fixed! Alright! I knew I shouldnt have questioned Wayward. I have never met any other sim developer that cared so much about what people actually want. This sim is gonna be great.
Tobiwan
Member # 420

posted 11-02-1999 04:28 AM     Profile for Tobiwan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
YES!!!

EAW fans of the world rejoice!!

Just one question??

WHEN IS IT COMING OUT!?

------------------
Matthew "Raptor" Renard

Posts: 893 | From: Amanzimtoti, KWA-Zulu, South Africa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Special Ed
unregistered

posted 11-02-1999 01:58 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's due out 1st Quarter of 2000.
Bogey
Member # 998

posted 11-15-1999 07:02 AM     Profile for Bogey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not sure about this, but I think this is the way it is.

The ventral ball turret is retracted when on the ground and let out after take-off.
After that, the belly gunner crawls down into it.
The turret should be shown retracted in the game - I hope it is.

Sorry if I'm wrong...

------------------
Pushing the edge of the envelope...

Posts: 339 | From: West coast of Sweden | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Special Ed
unregistered

posted 11-15-1999 11:16 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bogey, you are thinking of the B-24. The ball turret is not retractable on the B-17.

--Ed

juzz
Member # 31

posted 11-15-1999 10:01 PM     Profile for juzz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think this is how it goes on the B17, recalling from info on the Bombs-Away! forum.

To get into the ball from inside the plane, the guns have to be pointing straight down. On the ground there isn't enough clearance for this. You could climb in from outside the plane I think, but not many would want to ride a few inches above the ground in it on takeoff.

So the ball gunner rides in the plane on takeoff, and climbs in once the plane is in the air. The waist gunners have to close the hatch inside the plane behind him. Because of this, he can't actually get out of the ball by himself in flight.

The B24 had the retractable ball for ground clearance, and to reduce drag on the cruise I guess?

Posts: 125 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Andy.
unregistered

posted 11-17-1999 10:06 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't know if any of you have seen the new crewmen yet but I sure hope they put there oxygen masks on past 10,000ft and the waist gunners look awfully cold standing open faced next to there open position.
The P-38 looks as twice as good as Jane's.

gdavis
Member # 165

posted 11-18-1999 03:01 AM     Profile for gdavis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, they do have Oxygen masks at altitude. Also, the Pilots & Co-pilots have different clothing to the gunners.

Regards

Graham

[This message has been edited by gdavis (edited 11-18-1999).]

Posts: 36 | From: Bristol, England | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SkoolD
Member # 650

posted 11-19-1999 12:43 AM     Profile for SkoolD   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The G model had enclosed windows on the Waist. Even when firing they were closed, unlike the F that had the windows open to fire.
Posts: 197 | From: Phoenix, AZ-USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lucky_1
Member # 352

posted 11-19-1999 10:45 AM     Profile for Lucky_1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not all G model B-17's had the enclosed waist gunner positions. Most of the latter G models had this type of window.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

İ COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.