my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » B17 II Flying Fortress   » Any word on a demo? (to Wayward)

Author Topic: Any word on a demo? (to Wayward)
Hun Hunter
Member # 448

posted 10-25-1999 11:07 AM     Profile for Hun Hunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know you chaps must be busy right now, but have Microprose/Hasbro made any noise about you realeasing a demo prior to the shipping date?
Posts: 1304 | From: In a water tight cavern under Sydney Harbour Bridge | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Dingo
Member # 625

posted 10-25-1999 01:47 PM     Profile for Dingo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think we can be pretty sure that there will be no demo prior to release. Wayward specifically said they would not release a demo before shipping because it would delay development of the actual sim. Besides, do we really need to play a demo to know that we want this sim?
Posts: 27 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hun Hunter
Member # 448

posted 10-26-1999 03:40 AM     Profile for Hun Hunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I guess you're right. I'd rather they concentrated on shipping than a 5 minute demo. But after watching those AVI's, I NEED to get a "hands on" test of it!
Posts: 1304 | From: In a water tight cavern under Sydney Harbour Bridge | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Shere Khan
Member # 560

posted 10-26-1999 04:55 AM     Profile for Shere Khan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know about that. Before WWII Fighters (janes) was released I downloaded the demo and couldn't wait until the game was released (a long time over here in Oz!) The demo sold me the game.

At the time it was a choice between EAW and WWII Fighters. I didn't have the money to buy both and I went the Janes route. And even now I don't think I made a bad descion. (Trying to fly a multiplayer game over the internet is a bummer in Australia. The ping rates are so low people laugh at you if you ask to join in.)

I flew the EAW demo first and it was fantastic, then I got the WII Fighters demo!

I recently upgraded my PC and I've started to go through the campaigns again. Whoo Hoo its like a whole new game with 3d clouds and 30FPS.

B17 sounds like a great sim and I want to get it... but a few other sims are comming out roughly at the same time (Fighter Nations for example) Now I can't affort to buy too many games(Too many small noisy mouths to feed! The 'Trouble and Strife' is already giving me stange looks! "Nothing dear just writing a letter about flower arraging! Nothing to do with Flight Sim's...")

So I wouldn't mind trying the game before I fork out the cash. (Unlike America, we don't have shops that'll let you return a used game over here!)

Anyway the whole point of this letter is... If the game is really good then releasing a demo is a great way to cut through all the hype and show the people what their buying.

It's a great way to sell sell a game!

(you don't buy cars without test driving them. Sims should be the same!)

Posts: 110 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
SkoolD
Member # 650

posted 10-26-1999 10:08 AM     Profile for SkoolD   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
90 percent plus of the time we Americans can't return them either.....

Tim

Posts: 197 | From: Phoenix, AZ-USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hun Hunter
Member # 448

posted 10-27-1999 02:35 AM     Profile for Hun Hunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good point Mr Khan. Unfortunately, although I'm not an expert, I believe that releasing a demo is not a quick "cut & shut" operation. The game will speak for itself when it's released, and at this late stage it would be impossible to effect any monumental changes to the game as a whole. Magazines (paper & online ones) will carry the review before it gets released to us lot, so we'll have a good idea what it's about. Personally, FWIW, I'd love to play a demo, but not at the expense of waiting until the following quarter (or whatever) to get my hands on the real deal.
pops
Member # 129

posted 11-01-1999 01:31 PM     Profile for pops   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shere Khan,

Be a MAN! Sneak 'em in while the Misses is asleep.

That is when I do all my upgrades.

Posts: 52 | From: Edgewood, Kentucky USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.