my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Real Military Discussions   » Air Defense, Weapons, Platforms   » October Wallpaper

Author Topic: October Wallpaper
One Shot One Kill
Member # 9317

posted 10-23-2001 12:55 AM     Profile for One Shot One Kill     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Greetings to all.

I noticed (belatedly, mind you) on the October Wallpaper that there is a funny looking Sidewinder on the Starboard Pylon at the top left of the picture. I imagine this is a new type sidewinder, but I haven't seen it before. Is it some integrated heat/radio seeking missile? Maybe an EMP missile? Any Ideas?

Thanks.

Posts: 2 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spectre_USA
unregistered

posted 10-24-2001 08:48 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello 1S1K,

That looks to me to be what was (I've been out for 10+ years) called an ACMI/RFMDS pod.
Air Combat Manuvering Instruments were used to transmit real-time data to a ground
station or AWACS to display what aircraft were doing during "War-games." The little
pointy bit on the nose was a pitot tube for airspeed, and their were other telemetry
gyros and such to keep a close count of the jets manuvers. All equipped jets would then
be viewable to create a real-time overview of an engagement. Kinda slick, IMHO...

IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.