my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Real Military Discussions   » Air Defense, Weapons, Platforms   » The Russian 40mm "Blooper"

Author Topic: The Russian 40mm "Blooper"
MonsterZero
Member # 5722

posted 12-28-2000 03:03 PM     Profile for MonsterZero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The weapon in the foreground of the picture (on the tripod) appears to be a 40mm grenade launcher. Can somebody give me a bit of technical info about this weapon and some historical background? Why are the Russians using such a clumsy and hefty-looking launcher to fire little 40mm grenades? I thought the shotgun-like 40mm "Blooper" of the Vietnam war was clumsy compared to current squad-support launchers. However, the Blooper looks like the handiest weapon in the world when compared to the Russian behemoth.

[This message has been edited by MonsterZero (edited 12-28-2000).]

Posts: 442 | From: Worth, IL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rosco
Member # 1779

posted 12-28-2000 03:25 PM     Profile for Rosco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's an AGS-17 30mm automatic grenade launcher, it uses linked ammunition and has a rate of fire of {I believe} ~300 rpm or so. This is a support weapon and would not ordinarily be squad issue. The Russians have the underbarrel mounted GP-30 40mm launcher for their squad needs.
Posts: 984 | From: Hazzard County | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
gabbys
Member # 2607

posted 12-28-2000 04:36 PM     Profile for gabbys   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here is a write up from: http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/threatmstr/sainfo.htm#ags-17

quote:
The AGS-17 is a blowback-operated 30-mm automatic grenade launcher that can be mounted on a tripod or vehicle. A prominent drum magazine mounted on the right side holds 29 belted grenade rounds. The non-disintegrating metallic link belt exits from the left side. The short barrel with disc-shaped cooling fins protrudes from a large rectangular receiver. For ground transport, the system breaks down into four parts. The launcher itself weighs 17.86 kilograms and may be enclosed in a canvas carrying case. The sight weighs 0.99 kilograms; the folding tripod weighs 11.86 kilograms; and the magazine weighs 14.34 kilograms fully loaded, or 2.87 kilograms empty. The AGS-17 crew consists of a gunner and two riflemen-assistant gunners. For training, there may be only one assistant. When they dismount, the gunner carries the sight and launcher, the first assistant carries the tripod and a magazine, and the second assistant carries two additional magazines. The Soviets designed the AGS-17 to provide their infantry with an area-type suppressive-fire capability. They intend to use it primarily against personnel targets. It probably has some capability to engage soft-skinned and lightly armored vehicles. It is very accurate in the semiautomatic mode; it is also quite effective in area coverage in the automatic mode. One of the most important characteristics of the AGS-17 is its ability to provide indirect fire from protected positions against enemy troops in trenches, on reverse slopes of hills, or behind wooded areas. The gunner can engage targets by high-angle indirect fire at ranges from 1,000 to 1,730 meters; he can also use direct fire or high-angle direct fire at ranges from 50 to 1,730 meters. The sight reticle can serve as a direct-fire sight for point targets at ranges of up to 700 meters. The range table allows the gunner to adjust his fire rapidly for various ranges without computing elevations for the sight.

and from: http://home11.inet.tele.dk/blackice/AGS-17.htm

quote:

Weight:30.7 kg
Range : 1730 m
Ammunition: 30 mm
Magazine: 29 rounds
Penetration: 120 mm

Posts: 193 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MonsterZero
Member # 5722

posted 12-28-2000 11:08 PM     Profile for MonsterZero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aaaahhh...I understand now. This thing is fully automatic. Now everything makes perfect sense. Of course, it is impossible to build a shoulder-fired or barrel-attached weapon that fires HE bombs at 300 RPM. Something much sturdier and stable is needed. One the defense in the trenches I wouldn't mind having the Russian launcher to defend my *** although I'm afraid that once placed in a defensive position it's pretty much immobile until the end of the engagement. Few soldiers will be willing to drag it around under fire. Thanks for help gents.
Posts: 442 | From: Worth, IL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tony Williams
Member # 8202

posted 12-29-2000 01:01 AM     Profile for Tony Williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The weapon in the photo is not the AGS-17 but the AG-17A, the version intended for mounting on helicopters (you can tell by the thick barrel shroud). What it's doing on a ground mounting I don't know - a piece of improvisation, I assume.

Tony Williams
New book: Rapid Fire - The Development of Automatic Cannon, Heavy Machine Guns and their Ammunition for Armies, Navies and Air Forces.
Details on my military gun and ammunition website: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~autogun/

Rosco
Member # 1779

posted 12-29-2000 03:15 AM     Profile for Rosco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I guess the buyer only needed the helo, I wonder how much Stoli it would cost me to have that thing shipped to my front door!
Rosco
Member # 1779

posted 12-29-2000 03:19 AM     Profile for Rosco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
double post dammit

[This message has been edited by Rosco (edited 12-29-2000).]

Sammer
Member # 236

posted 12-29-2000 08:23 AM     Profile for Sammer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The American equivalent is the Mark 19 GL. These AGLs are really potent weapons, they let a small group of men provide massive area support fire.

-Sammer

Posts: 137 | From: Singapore | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
#Alex
Member # 6652

posted 12-29-2000 08:48 AM     Profile for #Alex     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yep. Besides, it is not any clumsier than an 82mm mortar, although much deadlier.
Rick.50cal
Member # 172

posted 12-29-2000 07:59 PM     Profile for Rick.50cal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Automatic Grenade Launchers (AGL) are so effective that in the entire Gulf war, there were more 40mm grenades fired from the Mk.19 than 7.62 Nato AND .50cal rounds !! (which almost all the 762 would have been fired from M-60 GPMG's and Mag-58's)

I wondered in the past if the barrel shroud was some sort of flash hider, any thoughts on this? It might give quite the flash if fired at night. It's possible that the Ruskies might not put as much flash suppressant into the cartrige, compared to the west...

No time now, but I will give more info later.

------------------
Rick.50cal

Posts: 520 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.