my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Real Military Discussions   » Air Defense, Weapons, Platforms   » Afterburner colors red or blue

Author Topic: Afterburner colors red or blue
Bonzonie
Member # 6287

posted 12-03-2000 02:09 AM     Profile for Bonzonie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What actually are the colors of afterburners(flames)?

Are they blue? or are they red/orange?

Just wondering.

------------------
FS2K F-22 Raptor Support Page
Bonzonie's JF-18 Crazy missions and screenshot gallery

Posts: 246 | From: Yokohama city, Kanagawa pref, Japan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rick.50cal
Member # 172

posted 12-03-2000 03:03 AM     Profile for Rick.50cal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Well, most people think that afterburners (AB), which are also known as "reheat" (as in 're-heat' the exhaust) only glow red. In reality the same engine, same day, can appear several colors, such as white/blue (especially in the dark), orange edges with clear or yellow center. Obviously, temperature affects the colors, and external lighting conditions also seem (at least to me) to play a part.

Some times you can't even see the burners at all unless you actually look INSIDE the tailpipes after it passes you. I think that Janes F-18 tries to model these multiple colors, but I figure they got the shape wrong even though I'm a grunt by trade!

------------------
Rick.50cal

Posts: 520 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jussi Saari
Member # 4799

posted 12-03-2000 04:26 AM     Profile for Jussi Saari   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Basically white or blue color indicates that at that part of the flame there are is only gaseous matter present, if it's orange/red it means there's solid carbon particles in the flames that emit.
Posts: 249 | From: Lappeenranta, Finland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bonzonie
Member # 6287

posted 12-04-2000 05:23 AM     Profile for Bonzonie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Would the type of fuel (JP-5/JP-8 and stuff) have something to do also?

Thanks

------------------

Posts: 246 | From: Yokohama city, Kanagawa pref, Japan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
MonsterZero
Member # 5722

posted 12-04-2000 05:27 PM     Profile for MonsterZero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, when you are a kid and participate in light&fart contests everything depends on the contents of your most recent meal...
Posts: 442 | From: Worth, IL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bonzonie
Member # 6287

posted 12-05-2000 01:08 AM     Profile for Bonzonie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL !!

------------------

Storm
Member # 1480

posted 12-07-2000 08:28 PM     Profile for Storm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Our F-15's run the P&W -100's and look orange in the daytime and a white/blue at night.

I've seen the F-16's that use the GE motors, look ornage in the day and really blue at night. Hmm, go figure.

Storm

Posts: 606 | From: Crestview, Florida USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.