my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Real Military Discussions   » Air Defense, Weapons, Platforms   » Russian bombs

Author Topic: Russian bombs
The Whistler
Member # 4609

posted 11-04-2000 09:31 AM     Profile for The Whistler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Do the russians use any LGBs or other PGWs???
Posts: 1736 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada [email protected] | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jussi Saari
Member # 4799

posted 11-04-2000 10:11 AM     Profile for Jussi Saari   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Whistler:
Do the russians use any LGBs or other PGWs???

Don't play much Flanker, do you? Yes, they do have, quite a lot of them actually. LGBs in 500 and 1500kg class with concrete-piercing, GP and demolition warheads, TV-guided variants of the same, TV-, laser- and radio command guided missiles, and long-range stand-off missiles which communicate with the launch platform via datalink so that the crew can pick the target and lock the seeker once they arrive at the target area. Apparently some ARM and Kh-22 variants also have active seeker options that can hit high-radar-contrast target over land. I've read of IIR seekers under development for Kh-25/29 but not sure if they've found money to field any. (Zed, Rosco, any idea?)

Jussi

Posts: 249 | From: Lappeenranta, Finland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jussi Saari
Member # 4799

posted 11-04-2000 10:15 AM     Profile for Jussi Saari   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yeah, and forgot to mention that way back in the sixties before all of these fancy new stuffs for tactical aircraft they had some Big EO-guided bombs for their big bombers. (A 1500kg one at least, and if my memory isn't failing also a 3000kg/6600lb one, but this one's from the memory so take it with a grain of salt.

Jussi

Posts: 249 | From: Lappeenranta, Finland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
AnArcHISt
Member # 136

posted 11-04-2000 10:54 AM     Profile for AnArcHISt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

KAB-500KR TV-guided bomb (500 kg warhead)

KAB-1500 laser-guided bomb (1500 kg warhead)

AnArcHISt
Member # 136

posted 11-04-2000 11:08 AM     Profile for AnArcHISt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jussi, regarding those huge EO bombs, I have seen a photo of one somwhere. It looks like FAB-3000 bombs on the photo below, only with a huge round TV-seeker window. My guess is that it was meant for anti-ship use by Tu-16 and Tu-22. Of course, when ship anti-air defences evolved to a point where a Tu-16 or other would not be able to fly over the group, the bombs were abandoned in favor of stand-off ASM.

FAB-3000 bombs

Zed
Member # 64

posted 11-04-2000 01:13 PM     Profile for Zed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As far i know, ground munition development has been limited to the Kh-555 & the -101, with the Kh-31T having its electronics 'tuned'...

Z

Posts: 866 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
AnArcHISt
Member # 136

posted 11-04-2000 09:46 PM     Profile for AnArcHISt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here are some interesting links I found:

Cluster Munitions in the Russian Arsenal

Frontal and Army Aviation in the Chechen Conflict (the first Chechen war)

Akulashaker
Member # 148

posted 11-05-2000 04:17 AM     Profile for Akulashaker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool links A! Keep posting whatever you dig up. You may not receive a million thanks, but at lieast one person is giving them attention

------------------

Posts: 488 | From: Greece | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.