my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Real Military Discussions   » Air Defense, Weapons, Platforms   » Analog vs. Digital-Is Analog Easier to Jam?

Author Topic: Analog vs. Digital-Is Analog Easier to Jam?
MonsterZero
Member # 5722

posted 10-29-2000 09:51 AM     Profile for MonsterZero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I read an article about the Mig-29A where the author claimed that since most of the plane's avionics were analog they were much easier to mess up with active jamming than computer based Western equivalents.

I always thought that analog avionics are much harder to jam simply because they are so crude...And computers extremely sensitive to electromagnetic radiation, power surges, etc.

In the Mi-24 helicopter the "moving map display" is a removable metal plate with the flight plan permanantly etched into it with some sharp object. The "playback head" is a pin that travels inside the groove in the plate. How the hell can anybody jam such a crude mechanical device?

Posts: 442 | From: Worth, IL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Glen Levick
unregistered

posted 11-25-2000 01:53 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
RF (Radio Frequency) devices that are digitally controlled and or configured are more resistant to jamming simply due to the fact that they can process and filter transmissions and signals faster.

However, they are not immune to jamming, and that would depend on the Jammer i.e. power and signal type etc.

Cheers, Glen.

IP: Logged
Sammer
Member # 236

posted 11-25-2000 08:51 AM     Profile for Sammer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Computers can be hardened against ElectroMagnetic Pulse, meanwhile I have not seen any analog systems with that kind of protection (of course I'm pretty short sighted).

-Sammer

Posts: 137 | From: Singapore | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jussi Saari
Member # 4799

posted 11-25-2000 09:35 AM     Profile for Jussi Saari   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Glen Levick:
RF (Radio Frequency) devices that are digitally controlled and or configured are [b]more resistant to jamming simply due to the fact that they can process and filter transmissions and signals faster.[/B]

Not because of processing speed, but simply because a digital signal that knows only two discrete positions takes a lot more "noise" before it becomes unreadable. A noise in the middle of analogue signal can mess it up beyond recognition with power level that's less than what's in between "1" and a "0" in digital signal.

Jussi

Posts: 249 | From: Lappeenranta, Finland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Glen Levick
unregistered

posted 11-26-2000 06:46 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, well there you go. I think I may have confused Jamming with counter-jamming, in which signal processing and counter-action speed would play a major role in having effective ECM.

I was also going to mention that modern planar array wave-forming architecture also goes along way to countering jamming and interference, as it significantly reduces sidelobing.

Thanks for the info Jussi.

IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.