my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Real Military Discussions   » Air Defense, Weapons, Platforms   » Laser missile shield

Author Topic: Laser missile shield
cheetahman
unregistered

posted 06-07-2000 08:17 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What does everyone think of that new army missile defense laser that just got tested? The one we're giving/selling to the Isralies for defense against lebannon? Will it continue working? :confused
IP: Logged
i'm crying inside
unregistered

posted 06-07-2000 08:49 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ba ba ba ba ba baran
ba ba ba ba ba baran
ba ba ba ba ba baran

baber aaaan bareep beraaaan
baber aaaan

Minin
unregistered

posted 06-08-2000 09:01 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think they are going to use it for laser light shows.
AnArcHISt
Member # 136

posted 06-09-2000 07:42 AM     Profile for AnArcHISt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a few simple questions:

How will this system work not against a single rocket, but against a salvo of them? Katyusha and other MRLs ususally fire in salvos. The laser being (I read) is chemical, therefore how long it will take to recharge between the shots?

The system still uses radar to track the rockets. A simple modification to the rockets - a RAM coating, say, could significantly decreace its effectiveness.

Lastsly, how much does it cost to fire the weapon each time? I know Katyusha rockets come cheap.

Based on the approximate answers I expect for these questions I say this system is a political weapon, if nothing else.

[This message has been edited by AnArcHISt (edited 06-09-2000).]

mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 06-09-2000 01:47 PM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe the technology has become more practical than we think. Maybe laser weapons are at a point now where they are not too expensive, and where they are reliable enough to put some faith in.

This might explain why the US is pushing "Star Wars" again. Perhaps now SDI could be feasable and affordable, at least for an advanced nation like the USA.

Posts: 1687 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Abrams
Member # 2631

posted 06-09-2000 05:55 PM     Profile for Abrams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
AnArcHISt,

How would you keep a delicate coating of RAM on the rocket without it coming off during launch? Lots of panels fall off during launch so I'm skeptical about a coating of RAM would stay.

Way back in the 1950's through 1960's the US modified a SAM (Nike Hercules, I believe) that could shoot down incoming ballistic and some theater missiles. It worked extremely well, it had like a 92%PK against ballistic/theater missiles during testing (I may be off but it was in the 90% range).

So why don't they just update this SAM instead of making a new missile that kinda works? I know the missile and data will be old, but couldn't they update it or at least learn from it?

Like AnArcHISt said this whole systom might fall to politics.

[This message has been edited by Abrams (edited 06-09-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Abrams (edited 06-09-2000).]

Posts: 168 | From: NAS Pensacola, FL, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
_ALEX_
unregistered

posted 06-10-2000 02:24 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
> Way back in the 1950's through 1960's the US modified a SAM (Nike Hercules, I believe)
> that could shoot down incoming ballistic and some theater missiles. It worked
> extremely well, it had like a 92%PK against ballistic/theater missiles during
> testing (I may be off but it was in the 90% range).

Cannot be true. Period.

Abrams
Member # 2631

posted 06-10-2000 04:42 PM     Profile for Abrams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Alex,

I talked to one of the guys who was in the project, I used the info from what he said. I also noticed it was in Popular Science too. This system never went operational because of the cost to maintain and run it. They only fired 6 missiles maybe that's why the PK was so high. I'd have to talk to him again for more answers to this.

Posts: 168 | From: NAS Pensacola, FL, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 06-10-2000 06:12 PM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Remember, these where thermonuclear warheads they put on the Nike Hercules.
Posts: 1352 | From: Prescott, AZ | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.