First off I would like to thank Jim Cobb for his overall good preview of our first naval turn based simulation - NWS: Warship Combat-WW2. I personaly have a great deal of respect for Jim and his articles. I would just like to take a minute to make some corrections/clarifications concerning our simulations based on his preview;
* "You have 3 levels of visibility stated" - Correction: There are actually 4, Excellent, good, fair, poor.
* "Visibility is affected by smoke, starshells, and search lights" - Correction: Visibililty is also effected
by weather conditions which sets the base visibility of the batte.
* "The three range states - long, medium, and short" - Correction: There are 5 range bands.. close, short, medium, long, and extreme.
* "Late afternoon battles degenerate into night battles" - Actually they dont.. but not a bad idea.. ;-)
* "Single row of 3D sillouettes" - Clarification: Sillouettes by definitation is a blacked out ship and they are actually 2D representations and if they are "visible" they show up as detailed ship graphics not sillouettes.
* "When a vessel reaches 25 percent damage its speed and firepower values drop. When the armor reaches 0 the ship sinks" - Clarification: The defense points of the ship (damage points if you want) are what determines the reduced capabilities of the ship in 25% increments. Armor determines how many defense points are lost depending on whether a hit penetrates the armor or not.
* "At the moment the type of damage is determined randomly" - Clarification: Damage points are based on the base firepower value of the weapons hitting the ship and then given a random spread based on that value. The type of damage is in damage points itself and you will lose your radars and/or torpedo mounts, firepower, and speed, in steps based on the damage level of the ship.
* "The computer rolls a die to see which sides movements succeeds" - Clarfication: All engaging ships speeds are averaged and then compared for a final chance of successful manuever.
* "WC-WW2 is still very much a work in progress" - Clarification: NWS: WC-WW2 is a full simulation that is evolving with new features being added per each update. Stating this.. V1.1 wont be the final definitive version as more features and levels of detail are planned for future versions.
Thanks again to Jim for his preview of our simulation and to the players for taking the time to read the preview.
Chris D. AKA Warship NWS
Naval Warfare Simulations
Team Director / Projects Designer