my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Site-Related Discussions   » Article Feedback   » Update: WWII Online: Blitzkrieg

Author Topic: Update: WWII Online: Blitzkrieg
Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 01-13-2003 04:49 PM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

In spite of its traumatic birth, the folks at Cornered Rat Software continue to tinker with the WW2OL code. Has all the twiddling and tuning resulted in any improvements? Join our newest contributor, Russell "Buster" Ford as he answers that burning question.

Update: WWII Online: Blitzkrieg

Posts: 2792 | From: COMBATSIM.COM | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Donster
Member # 196

posted 01-14-2003 06:31 AM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Enjoyed reading your article Buster. It is good to see a company really try to fix a game nowadays instead of just a quick patch and wave bye bye.

--------------------

"Its a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear!"

Posts: 10794 | From: Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Zhukov
Member # 4446

posted 01-14-2003 08:45 AM     Profile for Zhukov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow!

Great inaugural article, Mr. Ford!! You really made the case that this game has improved for the better...and for WW2Online that's a big thing!

Jeez...this is sounding so much better than before. Glad to hear that they're finally getting it right. Mind you, even in the early days I found it pretty darn cool to play infantry and approach a raging battle on the back of a troop truck. Very atmosopheric!!!!

Z

--------------------

"Didja ever notice that guy who pulls out right in front of you, then slows down to 30? Then whenever you get to a passing zone, he speeds up... Then the double solids return, and he's back to 30. And keeps his left turn signal on the whole time? Hitler was much worse than that guy" -- overheard on plastic.com

Posts: 4315 | From: Montreal, Quebec, CANADA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bismarck
Member # 6757

posted 01-14-2003 10:33 AM     Profile for Bismarck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good work, Buster.

WWIIOL's problem now is Battlefront 1942. I can't compare the games yet but BF42 doeasn't have the baggage WWIIOL does.

However, is BF42 MMPOG?

Posts: 1432 | From: Madison, Wisconsin via Missouri | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lady Z
Member # 8459

posted 01-14-2003 11:09 PM     Profile for Lady Z   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good article, Buster!

(are there still people just sitting at spawn points picking off arriving players?)

Posts: 1840 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Buster Brown
Member # 6559

posted 01-14-2003 11:38 PM     Profile for Buster Brown   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yeah!

That's how you gain rank. No seriously. It is accepted in this game. That is how you stop the enemy from advancing. You kill his spawn points..... either in the city or at a forward base. If a person is dumb enough to keep spawning at a contested spawn point, then he gets killed over and over.

--------------------

Eat more Possum :)

Posts: 883 | From: Hot Springs, Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Zhukov
Member # 4446

posted 01-15-2003 07:00 AM     Profile for Zhukov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's what I did!

Just like a stupid salmon...always spawned to the same point.

Z

--------------------

"Didja ever notice that guy who pulls out right in front of you, then slows down to 30? Then whenever you get to a passing zone, he speeds up... Then the double solids return, and he's back to 30. And keeps his left turn signal on the whole time? Hitler was much worse than that guy" -- overheard on plastic.com

Posts: 4315 | From: Montreal, Quebec, CANADA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Buster Brown
Member # 6559

posted 01-15-2003 01:09 PM     Profile for Buster Brown   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zhukov:
That's what I did!

Just like a stupid salmon...always spawned to the same point.

Z

Me too Z. Did it 3 times last night determined that I was going to kill the guys inside our city. All I did was add to their kill tally plus lose some vehicles.

--------------------

Eat more Possum :)

Posts: 883 | From: Hot Springs, Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Banger
Member # 5631

posted 01-16-2003 10:51 AM     Profile for Banger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice work, Buster!

--------------------

February 1, 2003
Keep reaching ...

Posts: 1077 | From: Idora Ave. | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
lo_rez
Member # 9028

posted 01-20-2003 04:30 PM     Profile for lo_rez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bismarck,

Battlefield 1942 is not a very good comparison. WWIIOL is a SIM, BF1942 is quake clone. Game mechanics and equipment are not historically modeled or accurate in BF1942. WWIIOL is more comparable with games like Warbirds. Don't get me wrong, I have a fun time playing BF1942 but it is not a sim. WWIIOL is a sim, you can't take out a tank by repeatedly shooting it with a pistol.

BTW, great review!

--------------------

Generalmajor Lo_rez
XLI Korps, HQ Staff Officer
31st Wrecking Crew

Posts: 6 | From: Minneapolis,MN | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.