my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Site-Related Discussions   » Article Feedback   » History: Don't Mess with the Kid!

Author Topic: History: Don't Mess with the Kid!
Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 12-30-2002 01:19 PM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

He was the living embodiment of the young, brash, talented WWII fighter pilot whose aerial antics gave his superiors fits. This is the story of Ralph "Kid" Hofer and how he not only braved danger but invited it. We also look at the compelling mystery of his ultimate demise.

History: Don't Mess with the Kid!

Posts: 2792 | From: COMBATSIM.COM | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Donster
Member # 196

posted 12-31-2002 08:14 PM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great read Jim!

--------------------

"Its a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear!"

Posts: 10794 | From: Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Twitch
Member # 75

posted 01-03-2003 10:25 AM     Profile for Twitch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Donster- It's really one of the mysteries of WW2. It'll never be solved. Curious as to how trim was set on QP-X when found in Yugoslavia. If he was trimmed for level flight returning and bleeding he may have passed out from blood loss and the plane crashed.
Posts: 638 | From: L.A. CA U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Banger
Member # 5631

posted 01-03-2003 02:13 PM     Profile for Banger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice work, Jim.

OT, about your Red Baron reference -- what's the latest research on the topic?

--------------------

February 1, 2003
Keep reaching ...

Posts: 1077 | From: Idora Ave. | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bismarck
Member # 6757

posted 01-03-2003 07:02 PM     Profile for Bismarck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Neat story. Nobody should mess with Missourians!

The latest book I read on Richtofen indicates groundfire but not by the Aussies. Richtofen was flying low (one guy who was on a factory chimney looked down on hinm in a valley) and everybody with a gun was firing.

I have my own theory:

He broke three of his own rules: 1) he followed somebody down, 2) he flew low over un-recced territory and 3) he kept engaging when his guns weren't perfect (one was out completely and the other was a single-shot for all practical purposes)

He had suffered a head wound a few months earlier. Such a change in behavior as he exhibited the day he was shot down is symptomatic of Traumatic Brain Injury, a condition not readily diagnosed at that time. I was the State TBI policy analyst for 2 years and Richtofen's actions that day were symptomatic of many TBI victims.

Posts: 1432 | From: Madison, Wisconsin via Missouri | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.