my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Site-Related Discussions   » Article Feedback   » Military History: Cold War Spoofs

Author Topic: Military History: Cold War Spoofs
Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 12-19-2002 02:19 PM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

It was a time of “Voodoos,” “Blinders,” “Hustlers” and “Fishbeds”. It was a time of endless scrambles to intercept bogies “spoofs” on radar and endless hours of bombers flying to and from fail safe points. Here’s a look at some of the equipment employed at the time.

Military History: Cold War Spoofs

Posts: 2792 | From: COMBATSIM.COM | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Spectre_USA
Member # 9551

posted 12-20-2002 12:02 AM     Profile for Spectre_USA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hate to be niggly, but here goes.
In the beginning you said,

quote:
In the weapons bay of the F-106 Delta Dart was Hughes Nuclear Genie able to hone-in on bomber formations at 2,000 MPH and wipe them out with the nuke.

And later on you identified it thusly,

quote:
Two AIR-2B nuclear Genies were carried in first line defense fighters.

The thing is, the A & B had nuke potential, and there was no guidance system. AIR stood
for Air Intercept ROCKET, not a missile at all!

The reason this stands out for me is back in the early 80's, I was going through weapons
system upgrade training, read of this thingmie, and literally howled!

Back in the `50's when it first came out, it was no laughing matter. But by the time I
read about it, the F-106's were being phased out, and such crude, unguided nukes were,
indeed, laughable.

Darned good article, but this bit has been niggling me since I read it...

--------------------

-=Spectre=-
1800+ posts, prior to Meltdown 20 Oct 02
If at 1st you don't succeed, call in an Air Strike!

Posts: 294 | From: Spokane, WA, US of A! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bismarck
Member # 6757

posted 12-21-2002 01:37 PM     Profile for Bismarck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Very good article.
Posts: 1432 | From: Madison, Wisconsin via Missouri | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Twitch
Member # 75

posted 12-23-2002 02:32 PM     Profile for Twitch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In my editing I had meant to put the sentence about "all" the missles being radar guided above the "In the weapons bay of the F-106..." referring to the SAMs. Correct, the Genie missiles were proximity weapons made to shoot, turn away and hope the big boom got 'em.

I guess it was the Cold War equal of WW2's idea of dropping bombs on bombers- hope for the best. Like I say, it was interesting how thin the line that defended us then really was.

Posts: 638 | From: L.A. CA U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.