my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Site-Related Discussions   » Article Feedback   » Review: Strike Fighters: Project 1

Author Topic: Review: Strike Fighters: Project 1
Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 11-17-2002 08:16 PM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

It's like deja vu all over again. Strike Fighters: Project 1 has just been re-released for the first time and our Aaron “Spectre” Watson jumps into the cockpit to see if this latest release is any better than the now infamous Walmart release.

Review: Strike Fighters: Project 1

Posts: 2792 | From: COMBATSIM.COM | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Bernard Dy
Member # 9313

posted 11-18-2002 09:43 AM     Profile for Bernard Dy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good work Spectre. I'd say you're on the mark.
Posts: 71 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Groucho
Member # 266

posted 11-18-2002 11:51 AM     Profile for Groucho     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the review Aaron.

Like you, I have been looking for a sim that models this era of aircraft...a time before fly-by-wire and when your primary flight management / avionics computer was the GIB (Guy In Back). However, I am still unclear on a couple of points about Strike Fighters. Are the flight models convincing, or is it a CFS3/Crimson Skies-esque faux-starfighter thing? Are the tech-of-the-era-limited search and targeting radars modeled with a tip towards authenticity or are they Gods-eye view affairs? Are there difficulty sliders to adjust these settings?

Thanks.

--------------------

Bob "Groucho" Marks
"Si ego certiorem faciam...mihi tu delendus eris"
-Groom Lake (NV) Mission Patch, Project Unknown

Posts: 530 | From: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Spectre_USA
Member # 9551

posted 11-18-2002 01:22 PM     Profile for Spectre_USA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You're Welcome Bob,

In answer to your questions, yes, sort of, and yes. Howzat?

To flesh those out a bit, the FM is definately no CFS3/Crimson Skies affair.
Very real feel, though that is on hard setting. It's the same with the Radar.
On easy mode, it's God's eye view, where hard looks through the usual cone.

It's definately not a Falcon 4 style bars and height, but is a nod to realism.
Thirdwire was shooting for the broad appeal with all the settings, I've been told.
Here's a listing, and range from Easy, through Normal to Hard...

--------------------

-=Spectre=-
1800+ posts, prior to Meltdown 20 Oct 02
If at 1st you don't succeed, call in an Air Strike!

Posts: 294 | From: Spokane, WA, US of A! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banger
Member # 5631

posted 11-18-2002 02:33 PM     Profile for Banger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice one, Speccie!

Would you mind sharing your system specs? Wondering if I have the horsepower for this one. Sounds worth having, though.

--------------------

February 1, 2003
Keep reaching ...

Posts: 1077 | From: Idora Ave. | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Donster
Member # 196

posted 11-18-2002 03:31 PM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Love that Phantom! Not much of a jet simmer, but those screenies sure make it tempting! Nice article Speccers!

--------------------

"Its a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear!"

Posts: 10794 | From: Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Spectre_USA
Member # 9551

posted 11-18-2002 08:51 PM     Profile for Spectre_USA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Banger:
Nice one, Speccie!

Would you mind sharing your system specs? Wondering if I have the horsepower for this one. Sounds worth having, though.

D'oh!

I knew I forgot something at the end there. System specs for main system...

AMD Athlon XP2200+
512 MB DDR RAM
GeForce4 Ti 4400 (128MB)

I have run it well on the following system also...

AMD Athlon 900
768 MB PC133 RAM
GeForce2 Mx-400 (64MB)

The first one, of course, screams, the 2nd is very playable with 17 - 22 fps, except in
crowded skies situations, where 12 or so are rarely encountered.

Please excuse the ommission.

--------------------

-=Spectre=-
1800+ posts, prior to Meltdown 20 Oct 02
If at 1st you don't succeed, call in an Air Strike!

Posts: 294 | From: Spokane, WA, US of A! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bernard Dy
Member # 9313

posted 11-19-2002 08:59 AM     Profile for Bernard Dy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's one of the things I do like about Strike Fighters. It has great looking aircraft. But it does not require a hot machine to play it.

I'm running very smoothly on:
PIII 850
384MB PC100 RAM
GeForce 4 128MB Ti4200

Of course, you can adjust your detail and resolution settings to fit your frame rate preferences.

I suspect the game will still look good even on older video cards. I played the beta on my system but with a RIVA 32MB TNT2 instead of the GeForce, and it still looked decent.

But in comparison, while CFS3 looks good on the new Ti4200, on my old TNT2 it looks, um, NOT so good. So it's clear to me Strike Fighters' performance scales better than CFS3.

Posts: 71 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.