my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Site-Related Discussions   » Article Feedback   » Review: CFS3 Multiplayer

Author Topic: Review: CFS3 Multiplayer
Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 11-11-2002 08:23 PM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

You wanted the skinny on Combat Flight Simulator 3's multiplayer capabilities? Then click on this article, and stop playing with yourself or you'll go blind.

Review: CFS3 Multiplayer

Posts: 2792 | From: COMBATSIM.COM | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Rodger Bilko
Member # 2170

posted 11-12-2002 11:48 AM     Profile for Rodger Bilko   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great article,

You mention that it's built with Joe 12 pack in mind, but Joe 12 pack will still to configure his system to play this game?

And game, everyone's saying it's a game. Does that mean Joe 12 packs elder brother Jack Daniels is going to take out a lawsuit with MS, because it should be called Combat Flight game?

Those realism parameters sound terrible. Can a player not say for example just disable spins and stalls or unlimited ammo?

--------------------

"Thingmies? We don't need no stinking Thingmies"

Bilko's HQ

Posts: 6836 | From: Belfast. Northern Ireland. UK | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Groucho
Member # 266

posted 11-12-2002 02:30 PM     Profile for Groucho     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rodger Bilko:
Great article,

You mention that it's built with Joe 12 pack in mind, but Joe 12 pack will still to configure his system to play this game?

And game, everyone's saying it's a game. Does that mean Joe 12 packs elder brother Jack Daniels is going to take out a lawsuit with MS, because it should be called Combat Flight game?

Those realism parameters sound terrible. Can a player not say for example just disable spins and stalls or unlimited ammo?

Thanks!

First point: You absolutely correct, Rodger. There is quite a bit of tweaking that needs to be done in order for the game to run decently on an "average" computer. This will doubtless tick off quite a few potential Joes. As far as online connectivity goes, however, it's about as straight forward a system as I've seen.

Point the Second: Yes, this is a game, not a simulation. I don't mean it lightly when I compare CFS3 to Crimson Skies. Sue Microsoft? Um, sure...

Tertiary Point: The "realism" (chuckle, snort) parameters are indeed horrible. While you can choose such cheats as "unlimited ammo", "auto rudder", and three different weapon efficacy settings, you are limited to a mere three flight model parameters-- easy, medium, and hard. I have NO idea what the differences could possibly be, seeing that the FM on "hard" does not allow proper stalls or torque effects. Let me put it this way: with a mininum of stick and rudder inputs, I had absolutely no problem literally hanging a Mosquito on its props at the apogee of a vertical climb. Eventually, the nose will pitch down (even with an airspeed of zero) but is this a "stall"? Not even close. Likewise, pulling back abruptly and to the stops after a screaming 10,000ft power dive in any aircraft brings on the creaks and moans of a wooden sailing ship and a generic blackout effect, but never anything like an accelerated stall. Holding the stick back in a Spit in level slow flight merely makes the controls "mushy" ad infinitum but at no time does the airplane break into a proper stall.

It's just awful.

--------------------

Bob "Groucho" Marks
"Si ego certiorem faciam...mihi tu delendus eris"
-Groom Lake (NV) Mission Patch, Project Unknown

Posts: 530 | From: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rodger Bilko
Member # 2170

posted 11-12-2002 07:37 PM     Profile for Rodger Bilko   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Groucho,

appreciate your response.

--------------------

"Thingmies? We don't need no stinking Thingmies"

Bilko's HQ

Posts: 6836 | From: Belfast. Northern Ireland. UK | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Groucho
Member # 266

posted 11-14-2002 10:24 AM     Profile for Groucho     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heads up, everybody. Incoming.

Those wizards at Microsoft have struck yet again. For the purposes of my recent piece on CSIM, I loaded CFS3(and as soon as the article was done, uninstalling same). Much like a dog that is lacking housebroken skills, it left a little suprise.

Without prompting, CFS3 loads up DirectX 8.2 runtime. This is bad. Shall we quote from the MS DirectPlay 8.2 official site?

quote:
This release of DirectX is not recommended for general installation. You should only consider installing this release if you have an online gaming problem that has been identified as being fixed with DirectX 8.2.

...and...

quote:
Note: After installation, the DirectX 8.2 runtime cannot be removed (uninstalled). The installation process changes core components and makes numerous registry changes within your operating system. Microsoft does not support un-installation.

Read it for yourself here.

Now, I cannot play IL-2 or even my heavily patched Battle of Britain. Ghost Recon runs. I haven't yet tried OFP. Of course, Microsofts smarter, better looking sister FS2F2 is unaffected.

I guess if you can't beat the competition, damage them. Bastards.

It appears that nVidia has not yet caught up with this plague, as all of my Detonator 4.X drivers are up-to-date.

I'm going to drop a line to MS as a WTF and clarification as to the reason behind loading up what appears to be a beta driver on a retail-released product.

--------------------

Bob "Groucho" Marks
"Si ego certiorem faciam...mihi tu delendus eris"
-Groom Lake (NV) Mission Patch, Project Unknown

Posts: 530 | From: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.