my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Site-Related Discussions   » Article Feedback   » Simulation Community: Sim Community Observer (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Simulation Community: Sim Community Observer
Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 09-20-2002 06:15 PM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

COMBATSIM.COM introduces a new feature today: weekly simulation community web site updates. Each week, we visit the most active combat simulation community sites on the Internet. In this single report, published every Friday, we give you links to all the latest news, articles, forum discussions, links, downloads, events and contests. One page, the whole community. Nice!

Simulation Community: Sim Community Observer

Posts: 2792 | From: COMBATSIM.COM | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
bdaye
Member # 1580

posted 09-20-2002 07:34 PM     Profile for bdaye   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Excellent idea! Like one-stop shopping. Thanks folks.

Bob

Posts: 9 | From: nepean, ontario canada | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Spectre_USA
unregistered

posted 09-20-2002 07:38 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What a very cool idea!

This has the makings of my new homepage! All the stuff you'd want to know about as a
combat simmer, in one easy page of goodness!

The overhead looks time consuming, I wish you the best Mr. Reddy! S!

IP: Logged
Ed R
Member # 9540

posted 09-21-2002 07:35 PM     Profile for Ed R     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks. The hard part is trying to figure out what is new and what is not. Next week I'll have a better idea of what is relevant and report more information now that I have visited all the sites.

Lots of stuff out there guys. If I missed any site you think I should be reporting on, please let me know.

Ed

--------------------

"No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other bastards die for their country."
General Patton

Posts: 16 | From: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rodger Bilko
Member # 2170

posted 09-22-2002 05:31 PM     Profile for Rodger Bilko   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
S! Ed Reddy,

Great idea chaps.

This doesn't replace "Gails Daily News" does it?

--------------------

"Thingmies? We don't need no stinking Thingmies"

Bilko's HQ

Posts: 6836 | From: Belfast. Northern Ireland. UK | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 09-22-2002 07:24 PM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Binky,

No, nothing could ever replace Gail's news! Ed's report does something we've never done before and that's report on the individual sites that make up the simulation community.

Sure, SimHQ, Frugals, and other sites like them have been doing it for some time, but I think our format of presenting the info grouped by site type (media and game-specific) is new. The once-a-week format may not be new, but at least it is by design

--------------------

Douglas Helmer
Forum Administrator
[email protected]

Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 09-27-2002 03:46 PM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Another week of buzz in the combat simming community. Joy! New sites included this week are MigMan's Flight Sim Museum and CFS Pilots. It's all here, the whole community; get it while it's hot!

Feature: Sim Community Observer

Rodger Bilko
Member # 2170

posted 09-29-2002 05:35 PM     Profile for Rodger Bilko   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ooooooh! First time I've seen the date for FB release.

Thank you

--------------------

Bilko's HQ

Posts: 6836 | From: Belfast. Northern Ireland. UK | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 10-04-2002 12:02 AM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Big doings in the combat simulation community this week. Here are just a few of the headlines: Carl Norman leaves Ubi Soft; beta update for Battle of Britain, F4Freeware.net's future in the balance. Oh, but there's so much more! Remember, it's one page, the whole community!

stag
unregistered

posted 10-04-2002 02:22 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nothing for OFP? Check this out:

Landing Ship, Dock

DH
Member # 9466

posted 10-04-2002 09:07 AM     Profile for DH     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Stag,

Wow! That's a nice bit o' addon for OFP! We'll have to add that site to the list methinks.

Thanks

--------------------

Email: [email protected]

Posts: 158 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rodger Bilko
Member # 2170

posted 10-04-2002 09:32 AM     Profile for Rodger Bilko   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Ed

--------------------

Bilko's HQ

stag
unregistered

posted 10-04-2002 09:46 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Copy what Binky said. you have a hell of a lot of ground to cover in a week.
Fork
unregistered

posted 10-04-2002 06:28 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Looks good!
Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 10-10-2002 09:19 PM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Another heady week of links to hot news, controversial forum topics, and new mods and add-ons in the only one-stop single web page covering the activities of the whole combat simming community. Yeah, baby!

Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 10-17-2002 09:15 PM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

What can we say? This is the one, the only, the amazing all-in-one page that reports on all the latest news, articles, and forum fracases on all the best combat simulation game and media sites on the net. One page, the whole community. No fuss, no muss, no bother!

--------------------

Douglas Helmer
Forum Administrator
[email protected]

Rodger Bilko
Member # 2170

posted 10-18-2002 05:20 AM     Profile for Rodger Bilko   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WOO HOO! Thanks,

The Falcon V thread "Dusty shut up" is a messy one indeed.

Sim HQ world events & current affairs forum is a scary place too!

thanks chaps

--------------------

Bilko's HQ

Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 10-25-2002 05:17 PM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Psst! Hey, you…we need someone to go to all the combat simulation web sites and gather intel on what's happening, what new articles are posted, and what's going on in the forums. What's that? You say all that already exists on COMBATSIM.COM's Sim Community Observer page. Never mind.

Black Hat 6
Member # 9557

posted 10-25-2002 06:11 PM     Profile for Black Hat 6     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was in the trenches over the "Tunguska Event."

My monniker over there is "Wardog"

--------------------

I don't exist. Got that?

Posts: 8 | From: I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rodger Bilko
Member # 2170

posted 10-26-2002 07:35 AM     Profile for Rodger Bilko   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Edders

--------------------

Bilko's HQ

Bismarck
Member # 6757

posted 10-26-2002 09:39 AM     Profile for Bismarck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think www.militarygamer.com should be added to the list. I'm not the only well-known commentator ther. Udel and Trotter write for them.
Posts: 1432 | From: Madison, Wisconsin via Missouri | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 10-26-2002 12:30 PM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought we added them. Hmmm, my bad. Sorry 'bout that, Bis.

--------------------

Douglas Helmer
Forum Administrator
[email protected]

Ed R
Member # 9540

posted 10-26-2002 12:59 PM     Profile for Ed R     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Strange, I thought I had them in there. I'll make sure I put them in for next week.

BTW - if anyone else has an idea for a site to be tracked for news and articles, please let me know!

Ed

--------------------

"No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other bastards die for their country."
General Patton

Bismarck
Member # 6757

posted 10-26-2002 06:59 PM     Profile for Bismarck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not to worry. Shaun has some fine AARs and connetions with the Euros.
Posts: 1432 | From: Madison, Wisconsin via Missouri | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wolfram -Osram- Kuss
Member # 9511

posted 10-29-2002 03:02 PM     Profile for Wolfram -Osram- Kuss   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I really like this feature!

The "HWH" thread of the BoB forum was mentioned numerous times, IMHO completely correctly. So, I mentioned this feature on the HWH thread and congratulated the main posters on their achievement.

It starts with the 3-from-last post on this page: http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/Forum40/HTML/003852-25.html

Some asked what it looks like, but of course I do not want to copy copyrighted material. Maybe the first community observer can be made public to whet the appetite of people or maybe the copyright owner can do a bit of copy and paste?

If not, then oh well, I already whetted their appetite and think I explained to them what this is about.

Posts: 10 | From: Germany | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 10-31-2002 07:20 PM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wolfram,

Good idea to make at least one of these Sim Community Observer pieces free to the public. We'll try to do that next week if we can

Thanks too for the plug!

--------------------

Douglas Helmer
Forum Administrator
[email protected]

Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 10-31-2002 07:23 PM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

We add Military Gamer this week to our list of sites covered. Remember, it's one page covering the articles, news, and forums of the whole online simming community!

Spectre_USA
Member # 9551

posted 10-31-2002 10:26 PM     Profile for Spectre_USA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Admin:
We'll try to do that next week if we can

Be sure to let us know if you do so, Doug. That way we can spread the word around!

--------------------

-=Spectre=-
1800+ posts, prior to Meltdown 20 Oct 02
If at 1st you don't succeed, call in an Air Strike!

Posts: 294 | From: Spokane, WA, US of A! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 11-08-2002 12:26 AM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Things are really cooking this week in the combat simulation community! Lots of activity on the 25 media and fan sites covered this week. Take a moment to scan this one page that gives you a bird's eye view of all the latest community articles, news, and forum activity in under 30 seconds!

Spectre_USA
Member # 9551

posted 11-08-2002 01:58 AM     Profile for Spectre_USA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, yea! Public access.

Time to hit the other forums for a little spreading of the news...

--------------------

-=Spectre=-

Rodger Bilko
Member # 2170

posted 11-08-2002 04:04 PM     Profile for Rodger Bilko   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I look forward to this like I look forward to Olegs updates!

Good work

--------------------

Bilko's HQ

Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 11-14-2002 11:42 PM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Headlines: CFS3's Nasty DirectX Surprise; Aces High v.1.11 News; Does G2 Interactive Exist?; OFP Addon Manager; IL-2: Forgotten Battles Sequel. These and all the latest articles, news and hot forum topics in this week's all-in-one Sim Community Observer page.

Rodger Bilko
Member # 2170

posted 11-17-2002 05:58 AM     Profile for Rodger Bilko   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good work.

Anyone using the add-on thingmie for OFP?

--------------------

Bilko's HQ

Ed R
Member # 9540

posted 11-19-2002 06:46 PM     Profile for Ed R     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I haven't Rodger cause I haven't installed any add-on's yet. I'm still trying to finish the Resistance campaign.

--------------------

General Patton

Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 11-22-2002 12:27 AM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Get it while it's hot! Links to all the combat simming, strategy, and wargaming news, forums, and articles. The Sim Community Observer brings you the best of the online community on one page.

Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 12-05-2002 10:51 PM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Extremely cool stuff going on in the community this week! You must check out the amazing AC-130H Spectre DivX movie, as well as the LOMAC DivX movie C3P01 shot. Tons of other cool stuff: contests, heated forum threads, and news from the entire online simming community. And you get it all from the one and only page that covers it all!

Spectre_USA
Member # 9551

posted 12-06-2002 02:09 AM     Profile for Spectre_USA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
w00t!

Did someone say AC-130H Spectre strike flix?

I'm there, Thanks Ed!!!

--------------------

-=Spectre=-

Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 12-12-2002 11:05 PM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

A tough week for the community. We lost sim community leader, Greg "Dominator" Myers. Wargamer goes offline due to being maliciously hacked. Get the details on these stories and links to more news, articles and forum discussions from across the community inside this week's SCO report.

Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 12-20-2002 12:38 PM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

This week's highlights: Microsoft is planning to update CFS3; Wargamer.com posts a holiday buyer's guide; MiGMan.com has a contest; Oleg is getting chatty about IL-2; PapaDoc is in fine form over on Usenet. All this and much more on the one page that covers the entire community.

Wolfram -Osram- Kuss
Member # 9511

posted 12-21-2002 07:03 AM     Profile for Wolfram -Osram- Kuss   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great stuff, like always!

However, in the CFS 2 & 3 section,
I can not open some (all?) links, for example the "CFS2 Blohm und Voss BV-141 B-05 V13 NC RD" one. I get:
"Error: Missing FileServer Specification
Please notify system adminstrator".
BTW, I think I had the same problem in an old issue of the observer as well.

Does it work for other people?

Posts: 10 | From: Germany | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.