my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Site-Related Discussions   » Article Feedback   » Review: Medieval Total War

Author Topic: Review: Medieval Total War
Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 09-11-2002 09:19 PM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Shogun Total War was a hit even with a limp campaign game. Medieval Total War not only moves the system halfway around the world but up several levels in game play.

Review: Medieval Total War

Posts: 2792 | From: COMBATSIM.COM | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Zhukov
Member # 4446

posted 09-11-2002 09:36 PM     Profile for Zhukov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jim,

I must admit that neither this title nor its predecessor have really grabbed me. However, after reading your excellent review, I just may have to give M:TW more serious consideration.

Shame that it doesn't support TCP/IP multiplay, though.

Z

--------------------

"Didja ever notice that guy who pulls out right in front of you, then slows down to 30? Then whenever you get to a passing zone, he speeds up... Then the double solids return, and he's back to 30. And keeps his left turn signal on the whole time? Hitler was much worse than that guy" -- overheard on plastic.com

Posts: 4315 | From: Montreal, Quebec, CANADA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Von Fauster
Member # 1106

posted 09-12-2002 04:26 PM     Profile for Von Fauster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Pretty fair reveiw I think.
I haven't played the canned battles or campaigns yet, so I can't speak to that. But I played one campaign as the Danes starting in the early period and it soaked up more hours of my life than I care to admit. The game has a lot of things going for it (including some truly massive battles- and they leave the dead bodies on the field! And the weather effects are quite superb, even changing in the course of a battle. And try crossing a bridge to attack in the rain!). It certainly has that "just one more turn" magic going for it.

You're right about the documentation though- I was first in-line for the strategy guide at EB. The manual has a good deal of the "how" but very little of the "why". And being a WWII sort of guy, I was very new to medieval combat.

Regards,
von Fauster

Posts: 30 | From: Portland, OR, USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bismarck
Member # 6757

posted 09-13-2002 06:34 AM     Profile for Bismarck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I jist got the guide and find it so-so, The first part is the best, going through special units. I was hoping for a more readable tech tree.

I continue to be surprised at the campaign gane's depth.

Posts: 1432 | From: Madison, Wisconsin via Missouri | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Forward Observer
Member # 5366

posted 09-14-2002 02:32 PM     Profile for Forward Observer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Von Fauster hit the nail on the head with his comments about the review and the game. I just finished an English campaign on the normal level from the early period. That "just one more turn" effect caused me several red eyed, groggy mornings at work the next day.

I loved Shogun, but this new game also has me hooked. Being a former artilleryman, I find those siege engines and the early artillery a total hoot. I set up a custom battle with eight or nine artillery units, a few pikemen and the rest musketeers. I gave the attacker two armies with but less artillery. The battle was positively Napoleonic.

Cheers

--------------------

Artillery adds dignity to
what would otherwise be a vulger brawl!

Posts: 197 | From: Cabot. Ar, US | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Buster Brown
Member # 6559

posted 12-13-2002 11:44 PM     Profile for Buster Brown   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This game is a hoot! Just got it a few days ago and totally lose track of time. If I can stop playing long enough to read the manual, I might enjoy it more.

--------------------

Eat more Possum :)

Posts: 883 | From: Hot Springs, Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bismarck
Member # 6757

posted 12-14-2002 09:46 AM     Profile for Bismarck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Glad you liked it. It made my top 10 list at MGO.
Posts: 1432 | From: Madison, Wisconsin via Missouri | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.