my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » General Discussion   » Ready Room   » Horrido! What's It Mean?

Author Topic: Horrido! What's It Mean?
Groucho
Member # 266

posted 12-11-2002 04:46 PM     Profile for Groucho     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, we WWII sim types have all heard the Luftwaffe battle radio call of "Horrido!". But, does anyone know what it means or what its origins as a battle cry are?

Seriously, I wanna know. Besides, it would make a WAY cool personalized plate on my new car...

--------------------

Bob "Groucho" Marks
"Si ego certiorem faciam...mihi tu delendus eris"
-Groom Lake (NV) Mission Patch, Project Unknown

Posts: 530 | From: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Stag
Member # 9549

posted 12-11-2002 07:30 PM     Profile for Stag     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Groucho, upon reading this post I was intrigued. So I set about finding the answer for you. Earlier this evening I spent nearly an hour on Bablefish, checking every language available, and finally coming up with The Answer:
Horrido!

--------------------

4013+

Groucho
Member # 266

posted 12-11-2002 08:18 PM     Profile for Groucho     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Wonderful. Comedians outta work everywhere and then Stag pipes in.

--------------------

Bob "Groucho" Marks

Stag
Member # 9549

posted 12-11-2002 08:26 PM     Profile for Stag     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't blame me, blame Babelfish! I was only reporting my findings...

--------------------

4013+

Sulla
Member # 3988

posted 12-11-2002 09:35 PM     Profile for Sulla   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well if you tell me what Tally-Ho means then I think we'll have the answer.

--------------------

"What we do in life, echoes in Eternity"

"Strength and Honour"

"At my signal, unleash Hell"

Posts: 3945 | From: Essex, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Groucho
Member # 266

posted 12-11-2002 10:59 PM     Profile for Groucho     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sulla:
Well if you tell me what Tally-Ho means then I think we'll have the answer.

Touche'.

OK, I'll stop thinking so damned much.

quote:
Don't blame me, blame Babelfish! I was only reporting my findings...

No blame, my man! Thanks for sticking that fish in your ear!

--------------------

Bob "Groucho" Marks

Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 12-12-2002 01:28 AM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Horrido is a Latin word meaning frightful or frightening. Perhaps the Luftwaffe meant for it to mean "Fear me!" You know, in a Samuel L. Jackson Pulp Fiction sort of way.

Ah, but alas, I really don't know anything . . . found this in (of all places) the EAW newsgroup:

quote:
Horrido is a hunting expresion used in [G]ermany. It is a greeting like "good afternoon or howdy...." and it is also used in letting someone live up (I think you don't say that in [E]nglish).... anyway , like the [E]nglish speaking say: "Hip hip" and the answer is "Hooray". German hunters say "Horrido" and the cro[w]d answers "Yo".

So, there you go

--------------------

Douglas Helmer
Forum Administrator
publisher@combatsim.com

Posts: 2792 | From: COMBATSIM.COM | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Bismarck
Member # 6757

posted 12-12-2002 09:05 AM     Profile for Bismarck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I affirm Doug's answer. Horrido is the equivalent of Tally Ho.
Posts: 1432 | From: Madison, Wisconsin via Missouri | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Groucho
Member # 266

posted 12-12-2002 09:26 AM     Profile for Groucho     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yo! Thanks, Doug! That's what I was looking for.

quote:
Originally posted by Bismarck:
I affirm Doug's answer. Horrido is the equivalent of Tally Ho.

Errr...not quite. Tally-Ho means you have the aircraft in question visually...still used by us general aviation types when calling out traffic; as in "Tally-ho on the traffic, Twin Beech at 9 o'clock high".

Thanks for the help, everybody!

--------------------

Bob "Groucho" Marks

Bismarck
Member # 6757

posted 12-12-2002 09:34 AM     Profile for Bismarck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Groucjo,

You mean you don't shoot at them? Then, what's the point?

Posts: 1432 | From: Madison, Wisconsin via Missouri | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Quiet Man
Member # 2180

posted 12-12-2002 10:12 AM     Profile for The Quiet Man   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My understanding was the RAF used Tally Ho! as more of a rallying cry. "There's those Jerry Rotters, let's get them!" kind of thing.

Horrido! was called after a kill had been made to bring attention to the kill. This way a German pilot's squad mates could confirm the kill visually, and comply with the stringent requirements needed for the kill to be added to a pilot's combat record.

TQM

--------------------

"En boca cerrada, no entran moscas".

Posts: 2165 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
tazfoster
Member # 9369

posted 12-12-2002 04:23 PM     Profile for tazfoster     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Read the starting thread and then the next 5 to 10 answers and this thread was shaping up to be the funniest one I have read here so far. Maybe it is just my sense of humour but you bunch of nutters really tickle me. Figuratively speaking of course.
Posts: 301 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Groucho
Member # 266

posted 12-12-2002 04:51 PM     Profile for Groucho     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Soooooooooo...we're agreed then. Horrido is German for Cowabunga!

Works for me!

--------------------

Bob "Groucho" Marks

Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 12-12-2002 08:20 PM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Taz,

Yes, we are a strange, albeit extremely funny, group. I would love to get the regular crowd from here into one room just once (yeah, yeah, I know I missed ELF 2000! D'oh!).

Still, if possible, it'd be too friggin' funny to get all the regular forum boys and girls together for a couple of days and get 'em all snapped up on Rolling Thingmies. What a hoot that'd be, eh? Ah, I can see it now . . . [drifts off into a misty-eyed reverie . . .].

Yep! Good times!

--------------------

Douglas Helmer
Forum Administrator
publisher@combatsim.com

Posts: 2792 | From: COMBATSIM.COM | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Groucho
Member # 266

posted 12-19-2002 09:56 AM     Profile for Groucho     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Got what I think is an answer, for those who care. From the "Glossary of Luftwaffe" at http://home.att.net/~jv44/luft_glossary.htm:

quote:
Pilots' cry of victory. St. Horridus was patron saint of fighter pilots.

Sounds good to me!

--------------------

Bob "Groucho" Marks

Edwin Rommel
Member # 357

posted 12-20-2002 01:01 AM     Profile for Edwin Rommel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Horrido meanz "Zhe horror, zhe horror"- schtole zhe line und uzed it in an AMI film later on!

It alzo meanz "ich juzt sheissed on mein seat" in an old Croatian dialect

--------------------

Feldmarschall Edwin Rommel
Zhose who live by zhe sword...... get shot by zhose vho don't.

Posts: 4399 | From: Dusty Oasis, Nord Afrika | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.