my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » Eurofighter Typhoon   » more 2 !

Author Topic: more 2 !
Shahab
Member # 3044

posted 11-15-2000 01:57 PM     Profile for Shahab   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Posts: 57 | From: UAE | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Norwegian
Member # 4578

posted 11-15-2000 04:20 PM     Profile for Norwegian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sheik Shahab,

Excuse me for asking,but where do you get this nice shots from?I have to check at dogdighter again.

Don`t tell me they have released it in the Emirates yet.

I like the shots though.

Anything on the Campaign?

Posts: 181 | From: Oslo,Norway | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Shahab
Member # 3044

posted 11-16-2000 02:22 PM     Profile for Shahab   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Norwegian:
Sheik Shahab,

Excuse me for asking,but where do you get this nice shots from?I have to check at dogdighter again.

Don`t tell me they have released it in the Emirates yet.

I like the shots though.

Anything on the Campaign?

the screens r there at www.dogfighter.com .
visit http://www.dogfighter.com/briefs/show.php3?brief=974136827

read this aslo: http://www.dogfighter.com/reviews/show.php3?review=970079584#typhoon

[This message has been edited by Shahab (edited 11-16-2000).]

Posts: 57 | From: UAE | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Seawolf
Member # 1787

posted 11-18-2000 10:10 PM     Profile for Seawolf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see what all the hoopla is about. Personally FA18 looks the same if not better than what I've seen so far.
Guess it's just the excitement of something new.

BTW- After using FSAA on this V5 I can't stand to look at screens not using FSAA, just looks nasty.

Posts: 1322 | From: Clearwater, Fl. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lytiwheedle
Member # 7275

posted 11-19-2000 05:20 AM     Profile for Lytiwheedle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Holy Moly, I'm going to drown my keyboard if I don't stop drooling!!
Posts: 19 | From: Luxemburg | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 11-19-2000 08:04 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seawolf:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see what all the hoopla is about. Personally FA18 looks the same if not better than what I've seen so far.
Guess it's just the excitement of something new.

BTW- After using FSAA on this V5 I can't stand to look at screens not using FSAA, just looks nasty.

The way you answered in your post sounded typical of say a PSX2 owner compairing games with a DreamCast?

Don't get me wrong but the whole hype (as i always thought anyway?) in flight sims was the immersion factor......not *just* fantasticaly mind blowing effects! Sure they look good, but that doesn't make great gameplay! Gee CFS2 has the best damage model released with brilliant eye candy but the players Fmodel sucks bad when hit with one hit!

The fact that Typhoon has a fully dynamic campaign and not scripted is what floats my boat and probably many others....that and the brilliance that EF2000 was and still is.

Tracer

------------------
"Flying is the second greatest thing known to man!
The first is landing!!"

Posts: 681 | From: Edinburgh,Scotland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
anonymousjob
Member # 8063

posted 11-19-2000 12:43 PM     Profile for anonymousjob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wonder what Graphics card they were using - it must be an old one becuase it has done a crap job at anti-aliasing.
The new Typhoon looks more playable than EF2000 yet with GORGEOUS graphics. Yum yum. I can't wait to get beaten up in a gaol cell!
I can't wait to fly alongside one of the Russian Ekranoplans either (watch the video-they're the sea skimming aircraft)!!!

Yorkshire Tea
Member # 170

posted 11-20-2000 11:00 AM     Profile for Yorkshire Tea   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyone notice that in the latest screenshots on sim-arena (batch #6) has shots of what appears to be a to be a multi player game, with people flying different types of A/C (a Tornado, Harrier, Gripen and Su-27M are visible in the last 2 shots)

Have I missed something here?

[This message has been edited by Yorkshire Tea (edited 11-20-2000).]

Posts: 315 | From: leeds | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Victor
Member # 249

posted 11-20-2000 01:06 PM     Profile for Victor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yorkshire Tea:
Anyone notice that in the latest screenshots on sim-arena (batch #6) has shots of what appears to be a to be a multi player game, with people flying different types of A/C (a Tornado, Harrier, Gripen and Su-27M are visible in the last 2 shots)

Have I missed something here?

[This message has been edited by Yorkshire Tea (edited 11-20-2000).]

That question was asked on the EF-2000 list and the answer was

"Maybe..."

(3 dots included)

Which probably means YES since that's exactly what the pics show. It's probably an "unofficial" feature of the game.

Posts: 236 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
G
Member # 5487

posted 11-22-2000 10:03 PM     Profile for G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The thing about the original ef2k and hopefully this upcoming version isn't just that graphics are the latest and best in technology. The MOST important aspect has always been the sense of scale and atmosphere that the ef2k sims create.

You can lens flare and anti-alias me to high water, but few sims even now beats flying behind and thru mountains like the old ef2k in SOFTWARE mode. That is not to say that sims now don't have more content than ef2k because they do_computers have more power. But the graphical creation of atmosphere still has not matched the old ef2k standard in IMHO. Falcon4 has better overall immersion with radio chatter but something is missing in it that ef2k had. Flanker2 has a similar problem. Maybe it is just the dreary cold setting that ef2k was set in that gives you a better sense of time and place.

I guess a good way to put it is this: In ef2k you feel like you are somewhere cold like Scandinavia. But in Falcon4 and F18, I feel like I could be flying anywhere. Well...hold on...Flanker2 actually does pretty well in making me feel like I'm in the Crimea. But still ef2k is still top notch in that regard.

Take it easy,

G

GrahamD
Member # 2889

posted 11-23-2000 03:01 AM     Profile for GrahamD   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with you G, EF2000 had that ability to transport you to another place. The icebergs were great and I loved the glaciers, fjords, etc. I hope Typhoon has something of this and manages to capture the rugged raw look of Iceland (well parts of it anyway). In one respect, the old software rendering was better. When you flew down low, the scenery turned into a chequerboard, but you got a good sense of speed and you knew exactly where the ground was. Bi-linear filtering turns everything to mush when you get down low, unless they use very high resolution bitmaps. From some of the screens from Typhoon it looks like one ground pixel is the size of a house. Needless to say, this looks like its going to be a great sim (or game if you don't want to call it that). I hope that by the time technology allows us to count daisies in low level flight there will still be people making flight sims:-)
Posts: 40 | From: Loughton, Essex, UK | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kurt Plummer
Member # 358

posted 11-24-2000 12:58 PM     Profile for Kurt Plummer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Scaling is off, that SR, even from behind and in-lead, should be filling at least a third more screen than the Euroflubbers.

They are also next to useless flying 'airshow close' to the Habu but of greater import to me is why there is a smoke trail at all when JP-7 (duuuh?) is such a 'cold' fuel. If I was laying a trail like that, I'd be down in the valleys giving myself the shortest damn possible LOS horizon I could.

Of course to be blunt, for a Blackbird to get hit, /survive/ and come down within the same 1,000nm as the theatre it was 'looking into' seems...strange. If for no other reason that the datalink SLAR and objective LOROPs they were looking at retrofitting don't really need that kind of exposed overflight.

One thing's sure, they'd better pray they've got a working breakchute or that plane may not stop in Iceland either...

The near-mirror-metallic effects of the cloudscape are beauts, I only wish they 'reflected' more in the natural smoothness of the airframes. Again we see pastel jets that have no feel of hard-object separation from the blurry skies in which they pass.

One of the other posts shows this quite well in the Eurofighter online Images section.
Admittedly DA2 is also black but the richness of the colors, and the glinted highlights in even the /other airframes/ in the gallery all point to a more richly detailed object world that we are seeing here.

My suspicion is of course that either-
A. There is so much crap going on in the background that framerate:graphics quality choices are extreme, especially online.

B. They've stuck a little too long with the original graphics engine. Updated or no. Or was that just Wargen that they saved from before? No, I think they kept both?!

Anyway, I hope it's not a lost cause, I wish the Tiffie Team the very best success... KP

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.