my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » Eurofighter Typhoon   » Where is the mission editor?

Author Topic: Where is the mission editor?
Gel214th
Member # 961

posted 11-02-2000 04:31 PM     Profile for Gel214th   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I raised this to the interviewer at Simhq as a possible question to ask during their interview with the guy from Rage (but apparently they didn't)..

I'm wondering, where is the mission editor?
Almost all the flight sim offerings that are being released come with a full featured mission editor allowing people to create their online missions and campaigns as they wish, in addition to using the ready made missions.

As someone who ran an online squad with ADF and TAW,once you have a strong following for a game, the urge to create your own scenrios is definitely there. We had to depend on GTT technologies , a third party game utlity designer, to provide us with a mission editor.

It wasn't exactly user friendly or 'pretty' (though it got hte job done) and to ask members to pay an additional US20 in order to play custom campaigns is a bit much to ask.

So...I'm wondering if Typhoon will include a Mission Editor, or go forward with the same drawback as ADF and TAW?

------------------
-Gel
214th Annihilators
http://www.214th.com/flanker2

Posts: 135 | From: Trinidad | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
amp
Member # 4046

posted 11-03-2000 04:11 AM     Profile for amp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I havent heard any specific answers to that question yet but i dont think that Typhoon will have a mission editor - because all missions are generated in the dynamic campaign.

Im still very much looking forward to this sim though.

ICEFOR
Member # 7669

posted 11-03-2000 08:14 AM     Profile for ICEFOR   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Eurofighter Typhoon will come with a basic mission editor for those missions generated through the game engine. Waypoints and load-outs can be adjusted. However, given the strong desire of enthusiasts to get in there and DIY, Rage developers are looking for a neat way to open up the campaign language on www.rage.com. If done as an unsupported feature it could well be freeware, and would allow people to dabble with the strategic elements of the campaign. The reason it is more complex for products developed by the former DID is the dynamic nature of the campaign engine. With simple scripted systems it is far easier to build editors.

Those who then wish to develop an interface around the tools will be able to give the editor its own look and feel.

quote:
Originally posted by Gel214th:
I raised this to the interviewer at Simhq as a possible question to ask during their interview with the guy from Rage (but apparently they didn't)..

I'm wondering, where is the mission editor?
Almost all the flight sim offerings that are being released come with a full featured mission editor allowing people to create their online missions and campaigns as they wish, in addition to using the ready made missions.

As someone who ran an online squad with ADF and TAW,once you have a strong following for a game, the urge to create your own scenrios is definitely there. We had to depend on GTT technologies , a third party game utlity designer, to provide us with a mission editor.

It wasn't exactly user friendly or 'pretty' (though it got hte job done) and to ask members to pay an additional US20 in order to play custom campaigns is a bit much to ask.

So...I'm wondering if Typhoon will include a Mission Editor, or go forward with the same drawback as ADF and TAW?

Tracer
Member # 259

posted 11-03-2000 08:18 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes i agree with amp ,since it's *truly* dynamic and you will be able to instigate attacks/strikes against targets as in TAW/SEF2000 there wont be a need for an editor....that and the fact that the scenario isn't very big will probably negate it's need.

TFX was the only DID product that did come with a mission builder of sorts.

Anyway i think this sim will be terrific and bring us right back into the fun days of EF2000 *but* with Y2K graphics and instant playability( i remember not playing F4 for about 3months and having to spend a day or two going over the manual again ) a nice change.

Tracer

------------------
"Flying is the second greatest thing known to man!
The first is landing!!"

Posts: 681 | From: Edinburgh,Scotland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 11-03-2000 08:25 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ICEFOR,
But you can adjust load-outs and waypoints in just about every sim -it's not realy an editor
*But* if it is indeed true about the possibility of a true editor...then that would be interesting!
By the way it's www.rage.co.uk www.rage.com is an internet football club.

Tracer

------------------
The first is landing!!"

ICEFOR
Member # 7669

posted 11-03-2000 08:37 AM     Profile for ICEFOR   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tracer, I suggest you try www.rage.com. Unless there's some weird rerouting from your location, it takes you to the Rage website, not IFC. Let me know.

quote:
Originally posted by Tracer:
ICEFOR,
But you can adjust load-outs and waypoints in just about every sim -it's not realy an editor
*But* if it is indeed true about the possibility of a true editor...then that would be interesting!
By the way it's www.rage.co.uk www.rage.com is an internet football club.

Tracer

Gel214th
Member # 961

posted 11-03-2000 09:56 AM     Profile for Gel214th   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No no no come on now.

There are stand alone missions for the Multiplayer campaign yeah?

I'm sure there are.

Whats hard with setting Primary objectives in a mission, positioning ground and air objects and giving them objectives and waypoints etc?

That would do fine for stand alone multiplayer missions. If they want to release the scripting language for Campaigns then thats great. If Rage/DID want to include Events as has been done in several other flight simulators then that's even better where 'scripted'/triggered actions take place then thats great too.

People would just do several of these as they see fit, either for Multiplayer purposes, or single player play.

I wasn't referring to developing a Dynamic Campaign from scratch here..I am referring to single Missions, or missions strung together as the mission builder sees fit.

We were able to do this in sims as ancient (but golden) as US Navy Fighters 97, ATF Gold, Falcon 4, JAnes F18...the list goes on and on.

It ADDS to the simulation..it adds to the simulations longevity. I may have a great idea for a mission or scenario that I want me and my 3 friends to fly...why refuse me the option of being able to build it?

Have you heard of Janes F18? Seen the mission editor that came with that?

TAW had a dynamic campaign as well, that didn't stop GTT form developing a mission editor with which to create multiplayer missions did it?

It isn't impossible, or difficult. I am telling you that if Rage/DID don't make it available WITH the game, then GTT is just gonna come out with an updated version of their mission editor and charge US20.00 for it again..and people are gonna get annoyed..again..after they've flown the stock Multiplayer missions 15 times.

Not everyone wants to go and play through an entire campaign multiplayer, you see.

Think about Ladder Team competitions..think about developing some sort of custom "Capture The Flag" mission for TAW..sorry...Typhoon in your favorite part of the terrain etc.

Think outside the box, and build the game for the long haul is what I say..hee hee hee.

EAW or Falcon 4 anyone?
How long have people been playing those sims.
Why?

*siiiiiiigh*

------------------
-Gel
214th Annihilators

Tracer
Member # 259

posted 11-03-2000 10:04 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes it appears clicking on your link(www.rage.com) takes you to a football site ( http://www.internetfootballclub.com/beta/)but copy and paste takes you to Rage software...weird?
or http://www.rage.com/flash/gamers.html as it cuts out the main screen.

Cheers ICEFOR
Tracer

------------------
The first is landing!!"

Victor
Member # 249

posted 11-03-2000 07:56 PM     Profile for Victor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ICEFOR:
Eurofighter Typhoon will come with a basic mission editor for those missions generated through the game engine. Waypoints and load-outs can be adjusted. However, given the strong desire of enthusiasts to get in there and DIY, Rage developers are looking for a neat way to open up the campaign language on www.rage.com. If done as an unsupported feature it could well be freeware, and would allow people to dabble with the strategic elements of the campaign. The reason it is more complex for products developed by the former DID is the dynamic nature of the campaign engine. With simple scripted systems it is far easier to build editors.

Those who then wish to develop an interface around the tools will be able to give the editor its own look and feel.

Yes..this is something RAGE really needs to promote. Would be nice to have access to the guts of the game system and extend the life of the game.

BUT..what's this reference to "scripted systems" as oppsed to dynamic campaigns? I thought Typhoon's campaign was dynamic.

Posts: 236 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 11-04-2000 07:40 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What he -ICEFOR- means is it's easier to build for scripted missions(USAF) as objects have flags etc to trigger them off and has an editor that the designers used to build the game with.
Whereas Typhoon having a dynamic campaign *nothing* is scripted so the core of the engine is sealed in code and therefore the game wasn't built with an editor with a friendly interface for us to use So it would have to have a frontend built from scratch *if* it was to make it any use.

Quote from ICEFOR The reason it is more complex for products developed by the former DID is the dynamic nature of the campaign engine. With simple scripted systems it is far easier to build editors.

Tracer

------------------
The first is landing!!"

Gel214th
Member # 961

posted 11-05-2000 08:42 AM     Profile for Gel214th   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I dare say that Typhoon will have single missions included.

Once it has single missions included with objectives etc. to be fulfilled...then there can be a mission editor created for it, aside and apart from creating a new Dynamic Campaign etc.

That's what I'm suggesting.

------------------
-Gel
214th Annihilators

Thunderbolt 214th
Member # 5851

posted 11-05-2000 10:45 AM     Profile for Thunderbolt 214th   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree to Gel

itis most important for online gaming that you can build your own scenarios in certain limits.
We actually dont need massive Online Camapgnes since it is very seldom that people play 5 days nonstop without a single
DUN error or any other bug on a single mission.
We do not a util to create/manipulate
little scenarios that include dynamic
handling in its own. Maybe 4 planes for each group to start with, a base, some AAA/SAM for each and a borderline that has to be pushed towards the enemies base.
If Id have to pay 20$ I ceratinly would, what other chance do we have ???

Tb

Posts: 9 | From: Germany | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.