my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » Eurofighter Typhoon   » JA-37?

Author Topic: JA-37?
YnB
Member # 49

posted 11-01-2000 10:42 AM     Profile for YnB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is this a smoking Viggen or just a Typhoon?
Posts: 131 | From: Sweden | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Red Dog
Member # 5924

posted 11-01-2000 11:08 AM     Profile for Red Dog     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Looks like a Viggen. I also count 4 MiGs in the screenshot, but what is directly trailing the Viggen?

------------------
"Boy, is this a machine..."

[This message has been edited by Red Dog (edited 11-01-2000).]

Posts: 64 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Caretaker
Member # 6929

posted 11-01-2000 11:42 AM     Profile for Caretaker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Red Dog:
Looks like a Viggen. I also count 4 MiGs in the screenshot, but what is directly trailing the Viggen?

Should be a Sukhoi S-37 - the second most ugly flying christmas tree after the Viggen...

Try www.geocities.com:0080/CapeCanaveral/9735/suclass.htm for more info.

Typhoon will obviously include some prototype or even "fantasy" planes.

- Caretaker

Tracer
Member # 259

posted 11-01-2000 12:32 PM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caretaker:
Should be a Sukhoi S-37 - the second most ugly flying christmas tree after the Viggen...

- Caretaker

Have you checked out the Saab Draken?
Man that is *One* seriously weird plane but it can turn like it's running along a wire......as it proved when i saw it at an airshow this year! http://www.abc.se/~m7108/draken_1.jpg http://www.abc.se/~m7108/j35j_601.jpg

Tracer

------------------
"Flying is the second greatest thing known to man!
The first is landing!!"

Posts: 681 | From: Edinburgh,Scotland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Caretaker
Member # 6929

posted 11-01-2000 04:24 PM     Profile for Caretaker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nope never had the chance to see a Draken in flight nor static myself... but it sure is a weird looking plane as well !

Hmm just wondering if we'll ever see a simulation of these...? Not really I guess...

- Caretaker

Victor
Member # 249

posted 11-01-2000 06:30 PM     Profile for Victor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

Typhoon will obviously include some prototype or even "fantasy" planes.

- Caretaker

Yeah..you can see that plane in the Typhoon video that was released. Smoking and falling out of the sky.

Posts: 236 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Saint J
Member # 6778

posted 11-01-2000 08:25 PM     Profile for Saint J   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought the SU-37 was the supermaneuverablity version of the 27. Giving it vectoring thrust as well as canards. I am unaware of any such russian plane with forward sweeping wings. I would assume this is a fantasy plane. Jet Fighter IV is using it as well. The does look like a Viggen but I can't make out the air intakes on it to tell.
Posts: 11 | From: Wyoming MI USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
SuperGroove
Member # 771

posted 11-01-2000 09:22 PM     Profile for SuperGroove   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Su-37 is from the Su-27 family. It offeres updated avionics from the Su-35, and 3D thrust vectoring.

The Sukhoi S-37 Bekut is a experimental, forward swept plane.

Posts: 800 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Saint J
Member # 6778

posted 11-02-2000 07:00 AM     Profile for Saint J   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Got any pictures of it? I would love to see what they are doing with forward swept technology. I watched an airshow with wichever SU has the vector thrust plates/canard configuration. It was pretty impressive. At one point, he was actually flying backwards. Can't imagine what that might do to airflow into the intakes but it was cool non the less. He could literally flip on a dime. I also watched some stuff on an F16 variant that was the same tech. "Chin" fins just aft of the air intake along with vector thrust. I love the idea of supermaneuv'. I just wish someone would attempt to make a sim out of it.
Saint J
Member # 6778

posted 11-02-2000 07:01 AM     Profile for Saint J   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
But Supergroove? Isn't that what I said?

Caretaker
Member # 6929

posted 11-02-2000 07:29 AM     Profile for Caretaker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Russian aircraft designations can indeed be confusing

Like SuperGroove has said, the Su-37 is not to be confused with the S-37. The former is an upgraded Su-27 variant (so far only prototypes for demonstration purposes... but damn those demonstrations are really incredible !!!). The latter is a prototype for the proposed next-generation Russian fighter. So far I only knowof some pictures, no fancy airshow flying movies. Then again, given the financial situation of the Russian military, it's astonishing they somehow managed to produce this plane anyway.

Follow the link I gave above for more info on the S-37 Berkut; there's plenty of pictures and links to more sites.

- Caretaker

PS: While it sure seems like an incredible plane, it's nonetheless looking like a flying christmas tree to me

Red Dog
Member # 5924

posted 11-02-2000 07:43 AM     Profile for Red Dog     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Caretaker,
Cool site! If that S-37 was painted ghost grey and I saw it flying, I would swear an X-29 and F-15 mated! hehe

------------------
"Boy, is this a machine..."

Posts: 64 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
tn_prvteye
Member # 6330

posted 11-02-2000 01:48 PM     Profile for tn_prvteye   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Typhoon video also has a glimpse of the Mig-42 (I think that was the designation), it looks like the Eurofighter, but with twin tails...and that F-16 variant was the F-16/AFTI (Advanced Fighter Technology Integration? IIRC) It could yaw and pitch off it's flight axis...in other words, you could point the nose down, strafe some troops, and still fly in a straight line...that WOULD be an incredible sim...Oh yeah, here's a pic of the Mig-42 (or project 42)... http://www.aviation.ru/MiG/1.42/mfi-1.42.jpg.html

[This message has been edited by tn_prvteye (edited 11-02-2000).]

Posts: 91 | From: TN | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
LeadHead
Member # 184

posted 11-03-2000 05:13 PM     Profile for LeadHead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nope, it's *not* a Mig 1.42 in the video. It has all wrong configs with everything. Wrong angle of the horizontal stabilizers. The leading edge wing root extensions and all that is wrong as well.

We had a discussion about this on the EF2000 mailing list a while ago.
The conclusion was that it was some of the "suepr planes" or whatever that they've included (some preview said something about secret weapons). It's some early British proposal for the Europfighter that they've taken up. Anyone care to fill me in on the concept name? I don't want to dig like a maniac in the mailing list folder.

As for this picture, yes, it's most definately a JA-37 Viggen. The way the wings are gradually sweeping backwards in three segments makes it a no-brainer. I'm also pretty certain that it's the JA (figther-attack) variant as opposed to the AJ(S) (attack-fighter[-recon]) variant because of the look of the tail.

Anyway, I really disagree with the Viggen being ugly. I have some pictures of it shwoing its "bright side" but unfortunately I don't know where I got them and I don't dare posting them at my site as they probably are "(c) SAAB" ...

------------------
Lead-Head's Simulation Site:
http://fly.to/lead-head

Posts: 775 | From: PiteŚ, Norrbotten, Sweden. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
The Whistler
Member # 4609

posted 11-03-2000 05:57 PM     Profile for The Whistler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
S-37:

[This message has been edited by The Whistler (edited 11-03-2000).]

Posts: 1736 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada [email protected] | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
RogerL
Member # 7737

posted 11-03-2000 06:10 PM     Profile for RogerL   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Nope never had the chance to see a Draken in flight nor static myself... but it sure is a weird looking plane as well !

Hmm just wondering if we'll ever see a simulation of these...? Not really I guess...

- Caretaker

This is really sad (and a missed business opportuniny for the sim developers)

One example: Why does every sim developer produce a F22 sim. Technical supiority is not fun :-(

Making a Swedish Air Force simulator would give you somewhat of a chance if you use the tech available: JAS 39 Gripen, Erieye, Giraffe, ...

But you need some fantasy to make the script, it was a long time since Sweden last was at war - luckily!

/RogerL

[This message has been edited by RogerL (edited 11-03-2000).]

Posts: 1 | From: Skellefteš, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 11-04-2000 07:30 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RogerL:
This is really sad (and a missed business opportuniny for the sim developers)

One example: Why does every sim developer produce a F22 sim. Technical supiority is not fun :-(

Making a Swedish Air Force simulator would give you somewhat of a chance if you use the tech available: JAS 39 Gripen, Erieye, Giraffe, ...

But you need some fantasy to make the script, it was a long time since Sweden last was at war - luckily!

/RogerL

[This message has been edited by RogerL (edited 11-03-2000).]

Sadly it's all about money RogerL; F-22/F-18/F-16 etc all equal mass sales especialy from (the obvious) America. That is the *pure* reason that these sims are made and released
Personaly i'm sick to death of the number of times an F-22 appears in a sim......
We(in the UK)have been pleading for a follow-up to the fantastic Tornado1 for years!....will we see it? Probabaly not....why?.....because it would probably die a death outside of Europe! How strange that EF2000 was the worlds best selling simulation and it's European!!!
At least with Typhoon and of course EF2000 you will see some of your beloved planes

I still loved watching The Mirage 2000,Draken,Viggen at an airshow in Scotland(have it on cam corder!)

aaaah well

Tracer

------------------
"Flying is the second greatest thing known to man!
The first is landing!!"

Posts: 681 | From: Edinburgh,Scotland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
tn_prvteye
Member # 6330

posted 11-06-2000 08:57 AM     Profile for tn_prvteye   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, LeadHead, when I first saw it I THOOUGHT it WAS the EAP design that pre-dated the EFA project. It did have twin fins. I think I've got the old books that have the drawings. Anyway, since I didn't think Rage would put that in the game, I assumed they were going for the 1.42, and just screwed it up...
You're right on all points about the design, but I couldn't see them including that older design in the game. I hope they do, though...I really like the original designs for the EFA. Time will tell...

Posts: 91 | From: TN | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.