Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 4   » Could a real EAW propeller be added to all PAW aircraft?

Author Topic: Could a real EAW propeller be added to all PAW aircraft?
Emil
Member # 1289

posted 09-23-2000 01:40 AM     Profile for Emil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I'm really excited when I see all these 3D improvements: wing shape, transparent cockpit, radio antennas, underwing radiators, tail weel, ...

But what disturbs me most is the absence of a real EAW propeller on all imported PAW aircraft and their variants.
The only marvelous exception in the Mitsubishi A6M Reisen 'Zero' who received this real propeller.

Could this propeller be added to all other aircraft?

------------------
"Alles zu retten, muss alles gewagt werden." - Schiller

Posts: 578 | From: Belgium | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gambler_78th
Member # 1883

posted 09-23-2000 03:59 AM     Profile for Gambler_78th   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Emil,

I'm with you on this one. I think the single biggest improvement to EAW would be just that.

There are some absolutely gorgeous PTO skins out there. That squiggly lined prop just doesn't do it for me.

Gambler_78th

Posts: 175 | From: Area 69 - Secret airbase in the Arizona desert | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Schatten
Member # 93

posted 09-23-2000 04:16 AM     Profile for Schatten   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
For right now Allesandro's 3DZ Studio, which is a really good tool, can't add or delete elements or nodes. The PAW props for the "stopped" position are like EAW ones, but for spinning they're single lines. If they were a textured polygon there could be some noodling around with the line to make it a EAW style prop but right now it can't be done with the Studio.

It could be done with hex editing, that's how Paulo and Jamie did the Zero to give it a real in-motion prop. The problem with that is hex editing isn't easy or fun. I can do some things, other things I do crash EAW out and hard. But even then you have to know how all the thingmies fit together and how to change the parts to what you want them to be.

For instance I theoretically know how to change the canopies for the PAW planes to EAW style transpearent ones, all that takes is changing one 5 to a 6 in the element's code; but the problem is when I try to find the elements that I dump out it I get too frustrated or lost before I can get them done. Hex editing is the way to go, but it can drive you crazy. Just look at me.

------------------
Schatt

"Some men were born great, some men achieve greatness...and some will always be total gits!"

Posts: 2938 | From: Land of the Lost | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Pfarrer
Member # 5090

posted 09-23-2000 09:31 AM     Profile for Pfarrer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The Shadow knows!
Pfarrer

Posts: 20 | From: Harrow, Ontario | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stanley99
Member # 169

posted 09-23-2000 02:14 PM     Profile for Stanley99     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I am with you, guys, just this is something I wished for long to be incorporated, also transparent cockpits. Bummer I can be of no help in this...

Stan

------------------
'Tis but a scratch. Your arm's off!!! No it isn't
Look, you stupid bastard, you've got no arms left. Yes I have. Look! Just a flesh wound.

Posts: 3692 | From: Vienna, 3rd rock left | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ajax's Doppelganger
Member # 6898

posted 09-23-2000 02:36 PM     Profile for Ajax's Doppelganger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
What about the element library feature in the next version of 3dz Studio? I suppose it would be possible to include a normal prop in that library

------------------

Jonesy
Member # 6612

posted 09-23-2000 04:28 PM     Profile for Jonesy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I agree, EAW propellers on PAW planes would be a good addition.

In the meantime: I recently was able to get my old copy of PAW Gold to run on my current computer. It's still a great game, by the way, and well worth the extensive time it took to finally get it to run. Anyway, the wire-looking spinning propellers in the game are not black as they are when they are imported into EAW, but in the original PAW game they are white.

It looks much better, and it would probably be easier to change the color until EAW propellers can be added.

Just a thought.

Geo'
Member # 6175

posted 09-23-2000 07:53 PM     Profile for Geo'   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Changing the color of the PAW prop to white wouldn't be a big deal, just a matter of using a hex editor to change the color index.
Schatten, why don't you use Alessandro's editor to identify the cockpit elements first? I think that makes it a lot easier to find the right elements that need to be made transparent. The way I did it for the P80 was to load it in the editor, then hit "W". This gives you an outline view of the plane, except for the element you have selected in the dialog box. The element you have selected will appear with the part of the skin that is assigned to it. I used this to page through all the elements. When I saw an element that was part of the cockpit, I wrote the element number down. When I stepped through all the elements this way, I was sure I knew which ones needed to be changed to "6".
Next, using Paulo's 3DZ_Map utility, I made a text file of the 3DZ file. You can use this text file to find the sting of numbers that make up the element you want to change to "6".
Finally, I used the hexeditor AXE to search for that string of numbers that were in the element. After I found it in the hex editor, I changed the five to a six. I hope this helps in some way.

Posts: 359 | From: Princeton, N.J. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Schatten
Member # 93

posted 09-24-2000 04:53 AM     Profile for Schatten   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Geo, that's how I did most of the reworking on the Corsair, the handy dandy wireframe. Problem is I got sort of back on another project I was working on so I need about 8 more hours in a day. LOL

I've been thinking about all that would be involved in EAW-izing the PAW shapes, and it sort of depressed me because the pilot, props, etc will need to be put on the .pcx and then picpaced to .tpc and that means I'll have to move some non-mirrored elements around, bah...I think I may know a way around that one. I'll try it out after football tommorow, or during if a certain team doesn't shape up and quit looking like a bunch of schmucks.

------------------
Schatt

"Some men were born great, some men achieve greatness...and some will always be total gits!"

Posts: 2938 | From: Land of the Lost | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.