Google
Web
This Site

News Feeds

This is our archive forum. It contains posts from 1999 to 2003. If you prefer, you may participate in our current COMBATSIM.COM Forum

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM ARCHIVE FORUM   » Archives   » EAW Archive 4   » Advice on new joystick for EAW

Author Topic: Advice on new joystick for EAW
Pvt. Ryan
Member # 6911

posted 09-23-2000 06:20 PM     Profile for Pvt. Ryan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I have owned EAW since it came out, but I never really played it because my computer couldn't really handle it. I bought a new computer a few weeks ago (PIII 933, GeForce2 64MB) and now I want to give EAW another try. My computer keeps telling me that my CH Flightstick Pro is not installed correctly and I have given up trying to get this dinosaur to work. I want to get something more modern - USB I guess. Can anyone recommend a good joystick specifically for EAW? Is a seperate throttle recommended? How about HOTAS? Price is not to big of a concern, but I would rather spend less than more. (Duh.)

I did a search, but most threads are about problems people are having, not buying recommendations. Thanks for any help.

Posts: 4 | From: Santa Monica, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
RichardG
Member # 1415

posted 09-23-2000 07:16 PM     Profile for RichardG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
S! Private Ryan,

Sounds like you've got an impressive new system.

There are about as many opinions about joysticks as there are Forum members so be prepared for a lot of advice.

Personally, I've been very pleased with my Logitech Wingman Force (USB) force feedback stick along with CH Pro Pedals (the older, non-USB version). You might find good prices for those items at www.buy.com

From what I've read on threads a good stick-and-rudder pedal combination is better for prop sims (propellor torque factor), while HOTAS is better for jet sims. No doubt many Forum members are happy and doing quite well with their HOTAS setups, though.

------------------
No105_Swoose
Number 105 "Dinger" Squadron vRAF
http://dingersquadron.homestead.com

"Mossie missions at The Zone, Sundays 2030 Hours Central Time"

Posts: 598 | From: Chicago, IL USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
AirHunter
Member # 6141

posted 09-23-2000 07:19 PM     Profile for AirHunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Pvt.Ryan, In my humble opion and regardless of cost there is no better flight stick than the Microsoft Sidewinder ForceFeed back control. If your lucky you'll find one with the $30 rebate. When it comes to a stick for this great sim remember this; "The definition of a bargin, is something you can't use at a price you can't resist" Save your pennies and get the FFB!.......AH
Posts: 458 | From: EAW Aerodrome, Horseheads, New York, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Alessandro Borges
Member # 4724

posted 09-23-2000 08:28 PM     Profile for Alessandro Borges   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Two Words:

-Microsoft Sidewinder, Force FeedBack model or not, works fine in my system and in the system of my friends; They use a digital subsystem to know were are the stick, and never fail by intense use. (I had a MS Sidewinder since 1996 and works fine today)

-Old Analogic models are eternal problematic, loosing configuration easily. ( some old thrustmaster models are analogic!)

Posts: 362 | From: Goiania, Goias, Brazil | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 09-23-2000 08:40 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The CH Pro pedals are very good. I have owned both MS Sidewinder 3d and Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital sticks...I prefer the Logitech. In fact I have a Logitech mouse and keyboard too. If I were going to get a new stick,it would be the Logitech FF.

------------------
Joke 'em if they can't take a....

Posts: 1895 | From: Metropolis USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
VMF-124 Rat
Member # 4835

posted 09-23-2000 08:49 PM     Profile for VMF-124 Rat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I just bought a Sidewinder FFB about 2 weeks ago and I cant tell you how pleased I am with it. The onboard throttle and and twist rudder, plus flap buttons have made me a better overall virtual Pilot. I recomend it.

P.S. I still kinda suck....but you know what I mean lol

Posts: 26 | From: .... | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
mainetoo
Member # 4708

posted 09-23-2000 08:55 PM     Profile for mainetoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I have a Wingman Force and like it very much. No mater what brand you buy i think force feedback is worth the extra money. It helped me a lot.

Posts: 40 | From: Searsport , Maine , USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Pvt. Ryan
Member # 6911

posted 09-23-2000 08:56 PM     Profile for Pvt. Ryan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thanks for the responses so far. It looks like a toss up between the Logitech and the Sidewinder along with the CH Pro Pedals. Is force feedback really a big deal? I have heard that it is overrated. If there is a big debate over this, then don't answer, as I don't want to open a can of worms. Anyway, I will probably make a purchase tomorrow depending on availability in the local stores.
mainetoo
Member # 4708

posted 09-23-2000 09:02 PM     Profile for mainetoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
In my opinion it is.I`m not very good but being able to actuly feal a spin coming on or the controls stifin up as you gain speed in a dive have helped my flying quite a bit.That is my opinion others may not agree.

Posts: 40 | From: Searsport , Maine , USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
MrRong
Member # 4950

posted 09-23-2000 09:21 PM     Profile for MrRong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
My two cents worth!

I have a MS SW USB, my second...I wore out thr rudder controls in about 6 months. Bought another, non FF MS SW...

They just feel cheap!IMHO..
I went a bought a Logitech Wingman Extreme USB, couldn't get FF, out of Stock, had to have one. Feels real solid, more like an Aircraft stick, than a game device, to me.

I would definately go FF. I will next time..
New computer 1st!

------------------
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."

Posts: 209 | From: Daytona Beach, FL USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
rjm
Member # 1373

posted 09-23-2000 09:26 PM     Profile for rjm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Pvt.Ryan -
The only way to 'feel' how the plane is reacting to the forces around it, is with the force feedback in the stick. I can't even imagine how you could fly properly/effectively without it. It connects you to the plane....
After you buy it, sweat will come from your forehead when you think you almost didn't.....

Posts: 264 | From: Fairview, Michigan | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gen Savage
Member # 585

posted 09-23-2000 10:32 PM     Profile for Gen Savage   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Well, I have used both the Logitech Wingman Force and the MicroSoft SideWinder Force Feedback Pro. I thought the Force Feedback effect of the LWF had a bit more solidity and "oomph" than the MSSWFFP, but the lack of a twist rudder does mean you'll have to get rudder pedals in order to have a proper rudder. Because I have recurring back problems (due to an old injury), I sometimes cannot manipulate rudder pedals, so I sold the LWF and bought the MSSWFFP (with the $30 rebate). While I preferred the LWF and the rudder control with the pedals, the MSSWFFP with its twist rudder suits me nicely now. I don't know if Logitech still offers the LWF, but they do have a new on with FF and a twist rudder and it's only about $59.95. I do recommend FF for that little added bit of immersion it provides to computer desk "pilots".

------------------
'Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier.'
-Samuel Johnson

[This message has been edited by Gen Savage (edited 09-23-2000).]

Posts: 1642 | From: Houston, Tx USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Pvt. Ryan
Member # 6911

posted 09-23-2000 10:50 PM     Profile for Pvt. Ryan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
If I do get the MSSWFFP, which apparently has a built in rudder control, should I not get separate rudder controls? I would think the foot operated rudder controls would be more realistic, but not having to buy them would save some money.
Gen Savage
Member # 585

posted 09-23-2000 11:23 PM     Profile for Gen Savage   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I would think the foot operated rudder controls would be more realistic

It would be more realistic, and I did prefer it to the twist stick. As I said above, I liked the combination of LWF and rudder pedals. However-I have read that some rudder pedals don't work with the MSSWFFP because the built-in twist rudder causes some sort of conflict. Do make sure the pedals will work before you buy them. In any case, a rudder, whether on the stick or via pedals is imperative.

Posts: 1642 | From: Houston, Tx USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Pvt. Ryan
Member # 6911

posted 09-23-2000 11:41 PM     Profile for Pvt. Ryan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I re-read your post and realized you answered my question before I asked it. I guess I can get either stick with built in rudder control and add the pedals later if I want them and if they are compatible. Right now I am so addicted to Combat Mission that I am not sure I want to commit the dollars to play another game, but I have heard so many good things about EAW, despite its age, that I want to give it another try. Thanks for all the help.
Tailspin
Member # 86

posted 09-23-2000 11:41 PM     Profile for Tailspin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I know a lot of people use and like the MS sticks. The two main bad points for me were the base is too light and it just didn't hold up well.(The rudder control went out on mine too.) The negative for the Logitech is that it is right handed only. Still its a matter of personal choice I guess.

------------------
Joke 'em if they can't take a....

[This message has been edited by Tailspin (edited 09-23-2000).]

Posts: 1895 | From: Metropolis USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.