Google
Web
This Site

News Feeds

This is our archive forum. It contains posts from 1999 to 2003. If you prefer, you may participate in our current COMBATSIM.COM Forum

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM ARCHIVE FORUM   » Archives   » EAW Archive 4   » Geo-"Incurable Virus Error" (!) in the P-80 cockpit files

Author Topic: Geo-"Incurable Virus Error" (!) in the P-80 cockpit files
Ajax's Doppelganger
Member # 6898

posted 09-23-2000 01:37 PM     Profile for Ajax's Doppelganger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Oohh...I can't download the clear cockpit P-80 files, Hotmail tells me they are terminally infected Watch it old chap, I hope your computer hasn't gone up in flames by now Either that or the file is simply corrupted...still, try running an AV program over those buggers!

In other news...I've run into some mapping problems with the P-61 skin (I still have recurrent nightmares from Nathan's F7F ), but nothing we shouldn't be able to take care of.

-Ajax out

Ajax's Doppelganger
Member # 6898

posted 09-23-2000 02:38 PM     Profile for Ajax's Doppelganger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
(bumpty bump)
Geo'
Member # 6175

posted 09-23-2000 04:06 PM     Profile for Geo'   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Nothing unusual here. I run Norton System Works, and it downloads virus updates every two weeks. Anyway, I'm going out for a while, so I'll let it scan my whole hard drive just to be sure.
BTW, you don't have to give me the final product yet for the skin. Like last time, I just need a quickie, until I get the final 3DZ. Before that, I'll do the finish work to clean it up.

Posts: 359 | From: Princeton, N.J. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Geo'
Member # 6175

posted 09-23-2000 04:52 PM     Profile for Geo'   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The scan completed, with nothing detected. Which file did it say had a problem?
Ajax's Doppelganger
Member # 6898

posted 09-23-2000 06:18 PM     Profile for Ajax's Doppelganger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Well, it was P80canopy.zip. Hotmail has this auto-virus scan feature and it tells me that, and I quote, "There is no cure available for the virus on the file P80canopy.zip. It is not possible to download files from Hotmail that contain incurable viruses. Contact the originator of the file, inform them that the file contains a virus, and ask them to send a virus-free version of the file."

-Ajax out

Geo'
Member # 6175

posted 09-23-2000 07:26 PM     Profile for Geo'   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Just sent the file to an account I set up on Hotmail. (Hotmail takes a long time to receive mail, BTW). I'll let you know what it says. Anyway, even though I scanned the whole hard drive, I rescanned that file separately, and no virus was found.
Hawk
Member # 1462

posted 09-23-2000 07:44 PM     Profile for Hawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I use hotmail to and I had the same problem with another file that someone sent me. I used my standard isp to get the file and it was ok. It seems that Hotmails virus scan may not be accurate. Dunno but it hoaxed me too.

------------------
Hawk VMF-124

Posts: 76 | From: Va. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Alessandro Borges
Member # 4724

posted 09-23-2000 07:56 PM     Profile for Alessandro Borges   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
DON'T WORRY !
This is a Hotmail error! Is impossible to have virus in pcx, TPC or 3dz files, couse they are simple DATA files, not executable or macro-code to be interpreted as MS-Word files.

Posts: 362 | From: Goiania, Goias, Brazil | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Gen Savage
Member # 585

posted 09-23-2000 08:21 PM     Profile for Gen Savage   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I abandoned Hotmail and Yahoo Mail and Netscape Webmail because they were slow, frequently "down", and because of problems downloading EAW files. I'm currently having great succes with Onebox, which you can get at Onebox.com.

------------------
'Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier.'
-Samuel Johnson

Posts: 1642 | From: Houston, Tx USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Geo'
Member # 6175

posted 09-23-2000 08:36 PM     Profile for Geo'   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hey, guess what! I finally received the file on my Hotmail account. The first time it gave me the warning about it being infected. Then, I went back to the main screen, clicked on the email again, and it came up OK and I downloaded it! What a piece of crap! Ajax, go back and try it a again. It may take a couple times to let you download it. This doesn't say much for MacAfee either. Of course, Hotmail may have the virus triggers set at some ridiculously high level, too.

[This message has been edited by Geo' (edited 09-23-2000).]

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.