Google
Web
This Site

News Feeds

This is our archive forum. It contains posts from 1999 to 2003. If you prefer, you may participate in our current COMBATSIM.COM Forum

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM ARCHIVE FORUM   » Archives   » EAW Archive 4   » HEEEEELLLLLLPPPPP (Roger Wilco related)

Author Topic: HEEEEELLLLLLPPPPP (Roger Wilco related)
Hun Hunter
Member # 448

posted 09-23-2000 11:17 AM     Profile for Hun Hunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
S! all.
Yes indeed, I'm at my wits end and it's all to do with a little bit of software known as [b]Roger Wilco{/b]. I've never used the sofware before and the problem is, after consulting the RW support page and trying manual settings, the bloody thing WILL NOT work. I haven't got past the "test mike" stage as all I hear is static preceded by a loud click. I've tried all the recommended settings, but to no avail. Please send help. Not sure if it's relevant, but I've never managed to use my pc with headphones for the same reason. No matter what I select, the sound just comes out of the speakers.
Please send help. It might be worth mentioning I'm computer illiterate so don't hold back on the obvious suggestions.
Hurry, before they cart me away in a straight jacket!

Posts: 1304 | From: In a water tight cavern under Sydney Harbour Bridge | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 09-23-2000 11:27 AM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
HH,

Is it that bad?

I have D/L'd RW, but had to get another set of headphones. I haven't tried it out yet.

Now I wonder?

------------------
Check six & aim for the cockpit.

Posts: 6145 | From: Maine USA, Proud Member of ELF (EAW Liberation Front) | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hun Hunter
Member # 448

posted 09-23-2000 11:37 AM     Profile for Hun Hunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
S! Mane'
From what I hear from my Squadron mates, RW is very good. I have a feeling that this problem is related to A)Me! B)My PC or C)a combo of the two
I've posted for help on the Squadron forum as well. My main problem is that you must have RW to take part in the squads activities, so I must sort it out. I'll post here again if I can get it sorted.

Posts: 1304 | From: In a water tight cavern under Sydney Harbour Bridge | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Slapphead
Member # 59

posted 09-23-2000 11:41 AM     Profile for Slapphead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
HH,
I remmember I once had a few probs/query`s with RW...
If you post your problem on :http://www.resounding.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Roger+Wilco+Problems&number=1&DaysPrune=20&LastLogin=

You will have to RW tec overlord answer your problem.

By the way, what sound card are you using?

Posts: 1148 | From: london/uk | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Slapphead
Member # 59

posted 09-23-2000 11:44 AM     Profile for Slapphead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Let me try that link again:
http://www.resounding.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Roger+Wilco+Problems&number=1&DaysPrune=20&LastLogin=

Hun Hunter
Member # 448

posted 09-23-2000 11:53 AM     Profile for Hun Hunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thanks for the link Slapp' I'll give it a go. My device manager tells me the soundcard is a Creative Soundblaster Audio PCI64D.
My machine came straight from Gateway, so I thought it would be one of those crap generic ones (like the motherboard they gave me!) Are there some that don't work?

TG
Member # 3641

posted 09-23-2000 11:57 AM     Profile for TG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I could be wrong but

Try to insure that
your speakers are disconnected from your sound card
and...
your boom mike is connected correctly to your sound card. There are normally two (2) plugs on the boom mike
one is the Microphone , the other is the head set speakers. As to which plug goes into which hole I cant tell you. You have to find out that from whatever info came with the SC.

IF you have this set up correctly you should be able to hear playback and record your own voice either on RW's config set up or some other sound wav recorder application.

Posts: 359 | From: SOmerville, NJ USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hun Hunter
Member # 448

posted 09-23-2000 12:04 PM     Profile for Hun Hunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thanks TG. I have only tried the simple checks as per RW, as my PC is in a very inconvenient place to be moved! It's now time to move it...
Willem
Member # 6591

posted 09-23-2000 12:26 PM     Profile for Willem   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
HH,

I installed my mike last week , and I had to un-install the driver for my sound card, plug in the mike, and then re-install the driver.

For some reason a mike isn't PnP

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Willem.

Posts: 73 | From: Holland | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ajax's Doppelganger
Member # 6898

posted 09-23-2000 12:34 PM     Profile for Ajax's Doppelganger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hmm...I hear you I have a crappy on-board Crystal chip and a) it took me about two hours to make it not crash, both RW and EAW (the tech support folks said it was the first time they heard that happen), and b) only works in half-duplex. Heck, at least I was flying in a Jap squadron at the time, I at least had the excuse that the IJNAF planes really didn't carry radios anyway
Hun Hunter
Member # 448

posted 09-23-2000 12:42 PM     Profile for Hun Hunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thanks Willem. I'm building up some good tips here. I knew you lot wouldn't let me down
musgrove
Member # 1643

posted 09-23-2000 01:05 PM     Profile for musgrove   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hun,
I bet I have this "sussed" for you..hehe...

First, is the mike working? Check it with another PC...that can exclude any mike problems

Second, and what I suspect IS the problem is that you need to upgrade your SB drivers to the 128 PCI ones...this is what worked for me on my old Gateway..I had that same 64 PCI card...go to the Gateway website and install the latest 128 PCI drivers...your 64 PCI card is capable of full duplex, but NOT using those old software drivers..even though you have a 64PCI card, installing the 128PCI will enable full duplex and you should be GOOD TO GO!! Try these suggestions and that should solve it!!

Mus

------------------
Musgrove's EAW Annex

http://musgrove1.homestead.com/index.html

Stupchet's V.V.S. Hangar
http://eawvvs.homestead.com/index.html

Posts: 1245 | From: CT, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hun Hunter
Member # 448

posted 09-23-2000 01:37 PM     Profile for Hun Hunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hail King Musgrove!
Thanks alot to you and to all the rest for the advice. Ladies & gents...a round of applause please

mane_raptor
Member # 845

posted 09-23-2000 02:03 PM     Profile for mane_raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ok, glad to hear Hun Hunter has his problems straightened out.

Now if I plug my headphone jack into the speaker slot, the music, engine sounds etc come thru the headphone. That is NOT what I want....I want that stuff to still come from my speakers and the headset only be good for yelling and screaming as I'm shot down (or in some rare instances hearing the other guy yelling and sceaming as I shoot him down).

My card is an ESS 1869 (hope that's not the year of manufacturing) Plug and Play AudioDrive. There is one slot for speakers, one for microphone, a audio in and and audio out. If I plug in the headphone to the audio out, I get nothing thru the speakers and nothing thru the headphone.

Is there a sound card that I can get that would give me both speakers and headphone? Maybe even dual sound for the other jack to my sound system?

------------------
Check six & aim for the cockpit.

Posts: 6145 | From: Maine USA, Proud Member of ELF (EAW Liberation Front) | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Slapphead
Member # 59

posted 09-23-2000 02:41 PM     Profile for Slapphead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Good show HH !

Raptor,

I do not think that this can be achieved...but please correct me someone if I am wrong.

Your biggest problem will be when you have the headset on, it will mufle all the external sounds etc that are coming out of your speakers ( unless you have an "open" type headset, one wich allows penetration of some external sounds...like the wife yelling: "get of that bloody PC and come and eat...!" ).But even then it is not emersive enough.

Your best bet is to lower the engine sound in the EAW sound control setup.
With a little tinkering of some of the EAW sound settings and perhaps increasing the speaker volume in RW, you should be able to get a good balance of external eaw soounds and comunication ones.

I found that the bigest difference was made turning down the engine slider bar

Best of luck

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.