Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 4   » * Tweaking the Kitty : Part 1 *

Author Topic: * Tweaking the Kitty : Part 1 *
Pretzel
Member # 800

posted 09-23-2000 01:04 AM     Profile for Pretzel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hello
Here the start of a new 3dz file for the P-40
Kittyhawk. Its covered by the standard skins found on most EAW web sites, as you can see by improving the shape a bit what it can do.

So far improved:
-Smaller spinner
-Narrower fusualge
-Fuller tail section
-Thicker gear struts- not shown
-Rounder wing tips
-Improved Engine cowling
-Correct placement of stores on wing and fuslage.
I have found an extra element I like to make an antenna mast out of it.

The cockpit is layed with polygons as to place a pilot. I need to find out how to make the windows transparent.Anyone know how to plz inform me

Mosi proly gonna help with the skins. I hope.

Next 3dz will be the Tomahawk

If you know of a P40 pic flying staight on plz let me know. all my drawings are top and side.

enjoy
Pretzel

[This message has been edited by Pretzel (edited 09-23-2000).]

stag

Member # 0

posted 09-23-2000 01:14 AM     Profile for stag     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
S! Prezel

I think ou will need to edit the .3dz file to read a new ****tra.pcx The next part of the problem starts because there's no pilot to go inside. Cockpit detail will have to be added to both the 3dz and pcx files.

Back to transparency; If you are using PSP the transparent blue is the first colour in the palette. you will then need to create a tra.pcx and tpc.

Posts: | From: | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Mosi
Member # 3248

posted 09-23-2000 02:32 AM     Profile for Mosi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I would feel honoured if I could spend some colour for your new model. I like the P-40 very much but avoided the really ugly 3d-file from PAW. But your stuff looks very promising.

A pity that I have no scanner, I have the picures you would need ;(

------------------
"Do first the necessary, then the possible, and suddenly you reach the impossible" Franz of Assisi

Mosi's EAW-Page

Posts: 1040 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Indigo
Member # 4530

posted 09-23-2000 03:12 AM     Profile for Indigo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
S! Pretzel,

This site might be very interesting for your very nice project. http://members.aol.com/k5083/khawk.htm

Posts: 182 | From: Geneva, SWITZERLAND | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stanley99
Member # 169

posted 09-23-2000 03:34 AM     Profile for Stanley99     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Very good, I like the idea of the P-40 PAW shapes being improved. And hopefully the transparent cockpit can be included as well. Somehow it must work out...

Stan

------------------
'Tis but a scratch. Your arm's off!!! No it isn't
Look, you stupid bastard, you've got no arms left. Yes I have. Look! Just a flesh wound.

Posts: 3692 | From: Vienna, 3rd rock left | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Donster
Member # 196

posted 09-23-2000 08:51 AM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post

This is almost straight on. Hope it helps.
Great work Pretzel!

Donster

Posts: 10794 | From: Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Peter Lynn
Member # 3637

posted 09-23-2000 08:56 AM     Profile for Peter Lynn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Very Nice Pretzel! Now if somthing can only be done about that cursed PAW propellor!
Regards
Peter Lynn

Posts: 232 | From: Perth, W. Australia | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Member # 2831

posted 09-23-2000 12:04 PM     Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Pretzel - Good show old bean ! I'm going ga-ga trying to get a front on drawing of the P40 but I found a LOAD of other stuff ! This is a great site for example http://www.p-40.com/ within it there is a lot of useful stuff especially this series of profiles showing the differences between various models :

Models P-40, A ,B & C
-Virtually identical from exterior
-Model P-40 did not have wing guns
-A has 1 .30 cal. gun per wing
-Small chin intake
-2 .50 cal. guns on top of nose
-Small "tapered" rear canopy windows
---------------------------------------------

Model N
-Rear canopy redesign
-Cooling grill
-Extended fuselage

These and more views are available at the P40 site under "P-40 Exterior Visual Recognition Guide
Production Models"

I will add the elusive front view as and when I can locate the beast !

Lex Morton (Aleutian Tiger Fan)

PS Here are a few "what is its" to make up for my tragic inability to find a front profile

Some cracking P40's that would look good against late war opposition :

------------------
"I'm just going to probe the bush's at the fork..." - "Unknown Soldier"

[This message has been edited by Lex (edited 09-23-2000).]

Posts: 510 | From: Scotland | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Benjamin
Member # 4268

posted 09-23-2000 12:08 PM     Profile for Benjamin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Looks really great Pretzel, the P40 PAW model really needed someone's help
Geo'
Member # 6175

posted 09-23-2000 08:15 PM     Profile for Geo'   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Pretzel, to change the cockpit glass from opaque to transparent you must change the element type code from "5" to "6" using a hexeditor. If you have used a hexeditor before, making this change is not very difficult.
Posts: 359 | From: Princeton, N.J. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Pretzel
Member # 800

posted 09-23-2000 08:52 PM     Profile for Pretzel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Really Geo'!
Kool, I can do that, just have to track it down under hex.

Also do you know how to assign the .3dz file to read a new ****tra.pcx ?

Thanks a million !
Pretzel

Geo'
Member # 6175

posted 09-23-2000 08:58 PM     Profile for Geo'   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Also do you know how to assign the .3dz file to read a new ****tra.pcx ?

Not necessary, it looks for it automatically when you make the 5 to 6 change. Just name the TRA file correctly for the plane you are using, and you're on your way.

Posts: 359 | From: Princeton, N.J. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.