Google
Web
This Site

News Feeds

This is our archive forum. It contains posts from 1999 to 2003. If you prefer, you may participate in our current COMBATSIM.COM Forum

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM ARCHIVE FORUM   » Archives   » EAW Archive 4   » If bombers can have individual markings .....

Author Topic: If bombers can have individual markings .....
Lex
Member # 2831

posted 09-22-2000 08:59 PM     Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Is there anything that makes it impossible to do that with fighter insignia (numbers,chevrons etc)?.In fact is there a reason why we couldn't recode the "personal marking" area to expand it so we can have a few,aces etc for example,aircraft skins that are entirely made up from the remapped "personal marking" area?
The last one is reaching a bit but it would be great to have squadron markings !

Lex Morton AKA BazookaJock

PS By "Personal markings" I mean the nose art on the bombers.

------------------
"I'm just going to probe the bush's at the fork..." - "Unknown Soldier"

Posts: 510 | From: Scotland | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cpt Farrel
Member # 3926

posted 09-23-2000 02:23 AM     Profile for Cpt Farrel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I remember posting a similar idea way back, but it went by un-noticed and I'm not really the man to put such an idea into action. Seing what people have learened to do these days it should be really possible. It would be great to have a pic were one could paint all the individual letter for a squadron so that every plane in your flight had it's own code.
Posts: 130 | From: Gothenburg, Sweden | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
stag

Member # 0

posted 09-23-2000 03:37 AM     Profile for stag     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The thing to do is find out from a bomber skinner which files hold the nose art, and then see if they can be applied to a fighter. It may be as simple as re-naming the relevant file to the fighter; eg. Changing b17x.3dz to spitx.3dz, then checking the results. I doubt it though
How many variations of nose art are there, and how are they stored? Find that out, and if the system can be applied to fighters, youve just revolutionised skinning. Im interested in this, but my meagre intellect is close to overload at the moment

Posts: | From: | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Peter Lynn
Member # 3637

posted 09-23-2000 08:15 AM     Profile for Peter Lynn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I agree with you entirely, Stag, old chum!
Watching vics of Hurries or Spits airborne with different aircraft letters would be great, and of course the opposition should have theirs doing their equivalent too!
Regards
Peter Lynn

Posts: 232 | From: Perth, W. Australia | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Schatten
Member # 93

posted 09-23-2000 08:24 AM     Profile for Schatten   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
That's an idea, you'd have to move it to the proper x-y-z axis on the fighter and scale it to be the right size but it might just be possible. The problem even if that works though is that the bombers only seem to carry the nose art on 1 plane in 3. For the codes to work they'd have to be made non-mirrored as well but that isn't really that tricky. The tricky part would be getting it in the right place and right scale and then having EAW recognise "Hey I need to apply this to xxx" fighters.

------------------
Schatt

"Some men were born great, some men achieve greatness...and some will always be total gits!"

Posts: 2938 | From: Land of the Lost | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
stag

Member # 0

posted 09-23-2000 08:28 AM     Profile for stag     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
No, No, I've got too much on my plate as it is...

Oh, shog.

S! Schatten

Any idea which files are involved?

Schatten
Member # 93

posted 09-23-2000 09:12 AM     Profile for Schatten   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
S! Stag, haven't a clue. LOL

Well I do have a clue, the best way to find the file would be to look in picpac for the B-17 nose art file and see what it's named, extract all of the B-17 3DZ's from the 3DZ.CDF satellie dish thingmie using Paulo's extractor, then open them up with a hex editor and look to see which ones use the nose art file. Then throw that and the nose art into 3DZ Studio and see what the x-y-z locations are in comparason with a B-17F.3DZ which will give you an idea on scale and the "where". Then from there...you'll have to get creative. Make a copy of that 3DZ file, keep the hex pointers inside pointing at the B-17 noseart and rename it to (whatever fighter)(whatever the 3DZ name is).3DZ and see what happens...

If you can get it to work and figure out the x-y-z coordinates for where you want it on your fighter, input them in the 3DZ and test it out.

Having said all that I've never messed with a twin engine let alone a heavy bomber so all of that is guesswork.

Have to love guesswork huh?

------------------
Schatt

"Some men were born great, some men achieve greatness...and some will always be total gits!"

[This message has been edited by Schatten (edited 09-23-2000).]

Posts: 2938 | From: Land of the Lost | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
stag

Member # 0

posted 09-23-2000 10:24 AM     Profile for stag     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
There appear to be 18 examples of nose art available on the pcx. That would be more than enough.

Is there anyone that wants to look into this immediately and in more detail?

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.