Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 4   » Paratroopers...well almost. Graphic intense.

Author Topic: Paratroopers...well almost. Graphic intense.
RedEyes
Member # 3823

posted 09-22-2000 08:17 PM     Profile for RedEyes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I am working with a group of guy who have come up with a neat little add-on. Actually they have done all the work, I'm just the news reporter. Check it out:

They used to explode on impact (that was our crack suicide paratrooper brigade. Now they just disappear in a cloud of dust. Quite stealthy you know...

Current major problem is getting the chutes to open all the way, although it still looks pretty cool as they float down. It would also be cool if they actually removed the chute, gathered their gear and formed up on landing (hey I can dream) but I suppose the stealth dust cloud will have to do. Any suggestions for help are appreciated.

Look out below...

[This message has been edited by RedEyes (edited 09-22-2000).]

[This message has been edited by RedEyes (edited 09-23-2000).]

Posts: 813 | From: Huntington Woods, MI, USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stanley99
Member # 169

posted 09-23-2000 04:04 AM     Profile for Stanley99     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Excellent! Crete, I am coming, a campaign there would be cool! And paratroopers!!!!

Stan

------------------
'Tis but a scratch. Your arm's off!!! No it isn't
Look, you stupid bastard, you've got no arms left. Yes I have. Look! Just a flesh wound.

[This message has been edited by Stanley99 (edited 09-23-2000).]

Posts: 3692 | From: Vienna, 3rd rock left | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
stag

Member # 0

posted 09-23-2000 07:45 AM     Profile for stag     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Really cool stuff

A Ju-52 coming up to shoot at, as well.

Posts: | From: | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
No105_Archie
Member # 1189

posted 09-23-2000 08:00 AM     Profile for No105_Archie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Redeyes, the troops are cool. What terrain and clouds are you using ? I have never seen them before .
Posts: 498 | From: St. John's , Nfld. Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
RedEyes
Member # 3823

posted 09-23-2000 09:15 AM     Profile for RedEyes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Bart: That is Hoover's Mediterranean one. I think its available in several places but at Cord's for sure: http://eaw.thrustmaster.com/frames.html

That and the Desert one he collaborated with Pretzel on are still my favorites. Paul Wilson has a cool Med one too, but it has some bugs. Still worth getting also. Regardless I uses Hoover's Med one more than any other.

The sky is scattered clouds from Pretzel's weather system (available just about everywhere). Spit9 made a great utility for swaping weather files and it comes with that too.

Anybody have any ideas on how to get the chutes to open more with these paratroopers?

Posts: 813 | From: Huntington Woods, MI, USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mosi
Member # 3248

posted 09-23-2000 09:46 AM     Profile for Mosi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
A guess: The planes drop a model of the pilot with not open chute, so you may use the model with open chute.

Just a guess from a not hack-educated skinner .

------------------
"Do first the necessary, then the possible, and suddenly you reach the impossible" Franz of Assisi

Mosi's EAW-Page

Posts: 1040 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Alain-James
Member # 4418

posted 09-23-2000 10:06 AM     Profile for Alain-James   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Haaaa let's D-DAY a bit

Alain-James

Posts: 1144 | From: Brie-sous-Matha, Charente Maritime, France | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
No105_Archie
Member # 1189

posted 09-23-2000 10:21 AM     Profile for No105_Archie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Redeyes: got the clouds thanks , but no sign of the utility by Spit 9 , do you know where I can get a copy
Posts: 498 | From: St. John's , Nfld. Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
RedEyes
Member # 3823

posted 09-23-2000 10:49 AM     Profile for RedEyes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
You need SkyManager. You can get it here:
http://alainjames.free.fr/Articles/Download/Add-ons/smanager12_1.zip

Its two zip files. Let me try to do a direct link, for the French challenged. These might work:
http://alainjames.free.fr/Articles/Download/Add-ons/smanager12_1.zip
http://alainjames.free.fr/Articles/Download/Add-ons/SMDLL.zip

Alain-James
Member # 4418

posted 09-23-2000 11:10 AM     Profile for Alain-James   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post

Posts: 1144 | From: Brie-sous-Matha, Charente Maritime, France | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
RedEyes
Member # 3823

posted 09-23-2000 11:16 AM     Profile for RedEyes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Your the man A-J. If only I could learn French. Never could. Of course the computer translation programs help, but that's cheating, I suppose. You French have a different word for everything.
Alain-James
Member # 4418

posted 09-23-2000 12:58 PM     Profile for Alain-James   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Well...Thanks Redeyes
You can try to imagine that where people like you can't read french, some froggies can't read english
We can't make everybody happy
But I imagine that it must be very hard for English-speaking people
Perhaps in 50 years as I will be emperor of the universe, I'll impose only one language to my Empire to make everybody understand other people

Alain-James

Moggy
Member # 6445

posted 09-23-2000 01:16 PM     Profile for Moggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mosi:
A guess: The planes drop a model of the pilot with not open chute, so you may use the model with open chute.

As the one with some responsibility for these paratroopers can I explain that I created them by rewriting a line in weapons.dat in the table of weapons, and at the second attempt created them as "drop tanks" so that the other planes in the formation could be ordered to drop them.

The line in weapons.dat calls the 3dz file. The only 3dz of a parachute I could find in the whole of EAW was Tmod_69h.3dz. If there is another chute wire frame, I could not find it.

So I renamed the chute file as an Ord.3dz file. That file is a wire frame of a fully open chute (verified that by looking at it in Borges' 3dz editor) and it is skinned by the file grnd06.tpc.

Now for some reason, although I think the image of the open chute is present, it does not appear - perhaps not skinned for some reason .... I don't know.

The infuriating thing is that if you use any other Tmod.3dz file in the same place, it does appear fully skinned. I verified this by heaving tanks, buildings, and destroyers out of Claudio Wilches Wellington.

So if any has any ideas, we're open to any suggestions!

Moggy

Posts: 222 | From: A slit trench near RAF Gravesend | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
RedEyes
Member # 3823

posted 09-23-2000 01:47 PM     Profile for RedEyes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Don't be modest Moggy, you had much more than a little to do with this! In fact, we would not be seeing this without your work. I for one would love to see tanks, and buildings tossed out of a Wellington.

Just a thought, don't most tmods have four parts (h, l, s, and d)? Very strange there is only an h for this one. Is something missing or is it controlled somehow by something else. I mean, for example, what makes the tanks move? If someone can figure that out, perhaps that will allow to parachutes to open.

Basically, I don't know what I'm talking about.

A-J, I assume when you are emperor of the Universe, we will all be speaking French!

Alain-James
Member # 4418

posted 09-23-2000 02:18 PM     Profile for Alain-James   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Well Redeyes, as in 50 years there are great chances that the half part of my kingdom will be chinese, so the official language will be mandarin

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.