Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 4   » Questions, Skin's n Things, Terrains/Skins

Author Topic: Questions, Skin's n Things, Terrains/Skins
AirHunter
Member # 6141

posted 09-20-2000 08:31 PM     Profile for AirHunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hi All. Got a couple of questions you might help out with.

1)(not that I'm to worried about this one, I'll just use my imagination)I notice while flying with the Pacific Terrain, there are Airfields in the middle of the Ocean, That the Norm?

2)While flying over the desert, the airfields are still green, is that the norm?

3)I used to use the "no bar" add-on for my P-47c's (prior to ECA) They don't work now. I've tried reloading them into EAW, also tried putting the no bar into each individual "registered P-47" folder and re-registering the planes. But the Bar is still there. Is this a ECA thing?

4)I'm, (with the ECA Panel to the desert war), having a hard time getting P-40's to show up in the game. I always end up with either the default P-51b or the default Typhoon (the two slots I tried). This is a beautiful plane I got under the ECAPanel section at the Hanger. One I'd really like to have in the sim. Titled "P-40L, the plane is modeled after P-40's launched from a carrier aimed at North Africa at the begining of the U.S's entry into the war. The read me with the zip say's its an "F", an option I don't see in any of the panel pull downs(nor did I see an "L" for that matter). How come it won't show up in the sim?

That about covers it. Any ideas? Thanks ....AH

Posts: 458 | From: EAW Aerodrome, Horseheads, New York, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Geo'
Member # 6175

posted 09-20-2000 08:43 PM     Profile for Geo'   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
1) For the time being, that's the norm. I think someone is working on it. There is a mod to turn the airfield blue (like the ocean) so that you don't see the "island" airfields.
2) There is a mod to change the airfields to brown, like the desert.
The rest, I'm not sure about, but I'm sure someone else will answer

Posts: 359 | From: Princeton, N.J. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
No609_Relent
Member # 1136

posted 09-20-2000 10:05 PM     Profile for No609_Relent   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
quote:

1)(not that I'm to worried about this one, I'll just use my imagination)I notice while flying with the Pacific Terrain, there are Airfields in the middle of the Ocean, That the Norm?

As Geo says... you have to get the pacific airfield gras*.tpc texture files so the airfields look like water. I don't know who has those - anyone?

quote:

2)While flying over the desert, the airfields are still green, is that the norm?

Similar to the above. You need the desert/med airfield gras*.tpc files. MajorLee has those at his site, in his paint shop: http://www.kvi.net/~majorlee/

quote:

3)I used to use the "no bar" add-on for my P-47c's (prior to ECA) They don't work now. I've tried reloading them into EAW, also tried putting the no bar into each individual "registered P-47" folder and re-registering the planes. But the Bar is still there. Is this a ECA thing?

It should work - have you tried manually copying the "no bar" pp47cv.3dz file to your European Air War folder just to make sure it's the right file?

Sounds like you're using Skins-n-More (you mention Skin's n Things, lol ), so the method you used should work. Another thing to try is to create a registered texture with just the pp47cv.3dz file in it, and apply it separately from the skins themselves. If you're using it in a theme, just make sure you name it something like "zNo P47 Bar" or somethin like that - so it's at the end of the list of registered textures in a theme, will not be affected by the "pre copy" clean up, and will be (one of) the last things copied to the European Air War folder.

quote:

4)I'm, (with the ECA Panel to the desert war), having a hard time getting P-40's to show up in the game. I always end up with either the default P-51b or the default Typhoon (the two slots I tried). This is a beautiful plane I got under the ECAPanel section at the Hanger. One I'd really like to have in the sim. Titled "P-40L, the plane is modeled after P-40's launched from a carrier aimed at North Africa at the begining of the U.S's entry into the war. The read me with the zip say's its an "F", an option I don't see in any of the panel pull downs(nor did I see an "L" for that matter). How come it won't show up in the sim?

I don't know exactly which skin you're referring too, but make sure you look at the zip file and verify which "original" aircraft it's replacing, such as "pp51d*.tpc", "pp51d*.3dz". The skin authors are usually pretty good about choosing the correct .tpc and .3dz based on what aircraft slot Charles chose in ECA Panel.

Then with Skins-n-More, make sure you put the texture/3dz files under the correct subfolder under "snmtextures" (i.e. p51d in this case) and register it. Lastly, make sure you always run ECA Panel BEFORE you run Skins-n-More if you are applying .tpc/.3dz files for one of the original 7 non-flyable planes, as ECA panel would otherwise clobber the .3dz files.

Hope this helps!

S! Relent

------------------

C.O. No609 Sqn
No609 Sqn

Relent's EAW Skins

Posts: 288 | From: California, USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
AirHunter
Member # 6141

posted 09-21-2000 12:03 PM     Profile for AirHunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hi Relent, I went to the ECA Home page to "our down loads" "p-47c cockpit bar fix" D/L'd it and upzipped it. There was no Pp47cv.3DZ, other than the Text, there was just "P021view.cpt". Is this the correct one? Still no change when I manually copy it into EAW. As far as registering it like you suggested, which sounds like a great idea, that appears to be a no go as well. I put it into its own sub folder in "Other folder" and when I try to register it, the folder show's up but, no contents.......AH
Posts: 458 | From: EAW Aerodrome, Horseheads, New York, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
AirHunter
Member # 6141

posted 09-21-2000 12:13 PM     Profile for AirHunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Found the winter Airfield from MajorLee Geo but my search of his site and others resulted in "0" for the pacfic floating air fields and green desert air fields. Maybe those are'nt out yet. Thanks..........AH
Gen Savage
Member # 585

posted 09-21-2000 12:56 PM     Profile for Gen Savage   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Air Hunter-what kind of video card are you using? There are two P-47C cockpit fixes. The older, original one was a 3DFX-only fix that made the central bar very thin. This was done using certain colors which appear transparent on 3DFX cards. Paulo Morais developed the "fix" Relent was referring to. Paulo 3DZ-edited the P-47C cockpit so that TNT users also could fly a P47C cockpit with no bar (or a skinny one). I don't know who has that file for download, but I can e-mail it to you when I get home if you don't find it. I think Emil e-mailed it to me several months ago.
Oh-and to use it-I didn't involve Stab or Skins-N-More. I made it a "read-only" and dropped it directly into the main EAW folder.

------------------
'Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier.'
-Samuel Johnson

[This message has been edited by Gen Savage (edited 09-21-2000).]

Posts: 1642 | From: Houston, Tx USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ogdens
Member # 5312

posted 09-21-2000 02:30 PM     Profile for Ogdens   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
AH, I had the blue water airfields fix and still have it on my drive somewhere I can email it to you otherwise I think it is at E's EAW site(?)

Og.

Posts: 1288 | From: Lake Geneva, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
AirHunter
Member # 6141

posted 09-21-2000 07:43 PM     Profile for AirHunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hi all, Found the Desert/Med Air field fix.(and the winter field fix too) Also solved the P-40 dilema. I just looked at the original aircraft file as suggested. Should have known that one "Dah #1"! Thanks Relent, Oh sorry bout the Skins-n-Things, LOL, I got it now, "Skins-n-More"! "Dah #2"!

About the P-47 cockpit bar, I must have had and still think I have the "No Bar Version" that I got from the ECA home page, the file says "P021view.cpt" and like I said it always worked before, so I'm still working on that one.

The Video card, it's a 32 Mb TNT2 card, and it's the same one I've been using all along. I've never found anything it could'nt run. Thanks General Savage, I'll try that "read only" idea.

Ogdens, thanks, I'll take the pacific air field fix if you have it here's my e-mail ad, mjacobs1@stny.rr.com Thanks again all!......AH

AirHunter
Member # 6141

posted 09-21-2000 07:49 PM     Profile for AirHunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Well General Savage, I tried the read only idea on the P-47c, No Go! I guess I'll just have to live with it. Thanks again. .....AH
Gen Savage
Member # 585

posted 09-21-2000 09:44 PM     Profile for Gen Savage   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
AirHunter-the file I'm talking about has to be renamed to work in EAW. Also, it needs to be read only so Stab or S-n-M won't overwrite it. I have zipped the file and renamed it, and I can send it to you. If you drop it into EAW, you should get a result like this:

[This message has been edited by Gen Savage (edited 09-21-2000).]

Gen Savage
Member # 585

posted 09-21-2000 09:51 PM     Profile for Gen Savage   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
A-H: I, too am using a TNT2 card.

[This message has been edited by Gen Savage (edited 09-22-2000).]

AirHunter
Member # 6141

posted 09-22-2000 12:27 PM     Profile for AirHunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hi General sure, I'll take it. Thats the way mine used to look. At this point I'm willing to try anything! Just can't understand why it used to work but stopped all of the sudden. Quess I'll try the "read only" option one more time.
Here's my address mjacobs1@stny.rr.com Thanks..........AH

[This message has been edited by AirHunter (edited 09-22-2000).]

[This message has been edited by AirHunter (edited 09-22-2000).]

JWC
Member # 116

posted 09-22-2000 01:35 PM     Profile for JWC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
AirHunter:

1) and 2)
Strange as it may seem, the airfields are not "terrain". Instead they are 3D objects!---er, flat ones, apparently! Thus no set of terrain files that you use will have any effect on the color of the airfields. Fortunately, Major Lee discovered how to change these files with .tpc editing. He made mods for the Mediterranean and Winter airfields, and hoover2701 made a modified set of airfield .tpc files for the Desert terrains, and -E modified the airfields for the Pacific, to render them less visible. Bear in mind that -E's Pacific airfield mod will make ALL the airfields almost invisible, INCLUDING the one that you take off from (I think). Obviously this could make it hard to land at your base! (well, OK, this is not technically true, since you can land on the "water"!)

For more information, see the EAW Recommended Add-Ons list, entry #7-C-I.

3)
Concerning the P-47C cockpit fix: there are actually three fixes. The one on the ECAO site is Charles Gunst's modified file. This takes the cockpit of the P-51B Mustang and uses it for the P-47C. This modification is for the 2D fixed cockpit only. It will not show up in the virtual cockpit (and of course, if you run at resolutions higher than 640 x 480, you will only have the virtual cockpit, not the 2D fixed one).

The next two fixes are for the 3D virtual cockpit. The first of these to appear is the "v" file, which uses modified Pp47cv.tpc files to render the center bar invisible or thin (two actual .tpc files=two choices). However, it will only eliminate/reduce the bar on Voodoo cards, since it works by coloring the bar a particular shade of grey which 3dfx-based video cards render as transparent. Since TNT cards don't "see" this shade of grey as transparent, this fix won't get rid of the bar on a TNT card.

Finally, we have the virtual cockpit fix that works with ALL video cards. Paulo Morais made it with modified .3dz files. This is the fix that GenSavage has sent to you.

Posts: 1633 | From: College Station, Texas, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
AirHunter
Member # 6141

posted 09-23-2000 07:20 AM     Profile for AirHunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
General IT works!!!!!!!!! Thanks much......AH
AirHunter
Member # 6141

posted 09-23-2000 07:25 AM     Profile for AirHunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
JWC, You may have hit on the answer! I always fly Virtual Cockpit and I have recently been running at much higher resolutions than in the past. General Savages 3dz Zip did the trick, the bar is gone completely.

As for the Air fields, that was under stood and I found all the fix's except for the Pacific one. I can live with it though! I'll just wait till someone turns that 3dz into an Aircraft Carrier! Until then I'll just use my Imagination! Thanks.......AH

Gen Savage
Member # 585

posted 09-23-2000 02:30 PM     Profile for Gen Savage   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Get the Pacific Airfield fix at -E's EAW Page.
AirHunter
Member # 6141

posted 09-23-2000 05:42 PM     Profile for AirHunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Roger that General, Thanks again.........AH

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.