Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » Falcon 4.0 Archive 1   » PCI / AGP How can you tell?

Author Topic: PCI / AGP How can you tell?
1Iron
Member # 713

posted 12-27-1999 03:55 PM     Profile for 1Iron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I'm thinking about upgrading my graphics board. My recent visit to the internet store demonstrates once again that I should be a hermit since I don't know anything about such things like "What's the difference between PCI and AGP?" And how do I tell what I have in my system? Now before you gently tell me to "look on the box" -- the box was used to mail something far, far a way a long, long time ago. I've gone into Windows 98 to look around without identifying the bugger. I could open the computer, but I'm lazy and lack eye/hand coordination. So, if any of you would like to demonstrate your superior knowledge to an appreciative dunce -- PLEASE, speak up!Thanks . . .
Posts: 33 | From: Versailles, KU USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
RAZOR5
Member # 848

posted 12-27-1999 08:10 PM     Profile for RAZOR5   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
NP Ironman, rightclick "My Computer", click "Properties", click "Device Manager", then click the plus sign (+) next to adapter and wala... it will tell you what type of card you have, but all that wont tell you if it's AGP or PCI, ya still got to look at your paperwork....
Posts: 67 | From: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Coz-fx
unregistered

posted 12-27-1999 08:51 PM       Edit/Delete Post
Right click anywhere on desktop, choose properties-settings-advanced(little tab on bottom of settings) this should give you adapter information. Somewhere there it will tell you Bus type, AGP or PCI. This page is different for different adapters so I can't be more specific. Mine is under RIVA TNT tab under hardware information. Hope this helps.

Coz out

IP: Logged
SHADOW
Member # 326

posted 12-28-1999 05:40 AM     Profile for SHADOW   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Anyway, when you ll change your graphic card, you ll have to open your box to plug it yourself, so better start today and be safe tomorrow ;-)

------------------
Happy Landings
SHADOW

Posts: 136 | From: Paris ¤France¤ | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Saint Viper
Member # 363

posted 12-28-1999 07:30 AM     Profile for Saint Viper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I've been wondering about this for a while too. I've got a Voodoo Banshee but it appears to be integrated with my motherboard (Gateway). Anyway, what's the difference between AGP and PCI? If I go looking for a new computer, should I prefer one over the other? I've also heard that one type of expansion slot is gray, and the other is black. Is that a valid way of determining between AGP and PCI?
Posts: 590 | From: Manitowoc WI USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
eserron
Member # 95

posted 12-28-1999 11:20 AM     Profile for eserron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I don't know if windows will tell you whether you have a PCI card or an AGP card. But I don't think Windows 95 even supported AGP until OSR 2.5 came out. I have two computers at home, one of which has Windows 95 OSR 2.0, and I know OSR 2.0 has no AGP support. So if you know what version of Windows 95 shipped with your computer, that's at least some indication. Also, AGP first appeared with the Pentium II. So if you have only a Pentium classic, you can be sure that you don't have AGP support.

Otherwise, it's not that difficult to remove the screws on the back of the case and peer in with a flashlight. Before you do that, go to a motherboard manufacturer's website (like Aopen or Abit) and look at a diagram of one of their boards. All ATX form boards have similar layouts, as do all of the older Baby AT form boards. Remember, the openings on the back of computer cases are standardized, so that all of the various add-on cards on a motherboard can by connected by wire or cable to a peripheral component from the back of the computer case -- that means the ISA, PCI, and AGP slots on all different brands of motherboards have to be generally in the same location on the board.

If you have a full-tower, mid-tower, or mini-tower case, the cards will appear as if they are stacked on top of each other when you open the case. The bottom two or three slots on pre-Camino chipset motherboards (e.g. 440BX, 440LX, Triton, etc.) are the older style ISA slots. ISA slots are longer than PCI slots. The next three to five slots on top of the ISA slots are PCI slots. PCI slots are shorter than ISA slots. If your motherboard has an AGP bus (a prerequisite to an AGP video card), the AGP slot will always be the top slot nearest to the CPU (Slot 1, Socket 370, etc.) and the case's power supply. It's shorter than either the PCI or the ISA slot, and it is set back about an inch or so further from the back of the case than either the ISA or PCI slots. You can't miss it. It's the shortest of the three types of slots, and its set back the furthest from the back of the case.

The main technological difference between the three types of slots (ISA, PCI, and AGP) is the speed at which they are capable of moving data. They correspond to the ISA bus, PCI bus, and AGP bus. The AGP bus runs at 66mhz (about twice the speed of the PCI bus), and the PCI bus runs at 33mhz (about twice the speed of the ISA bus), and the ISA bus runs at a lowly 16 mhz.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 73 | From: Oak Hill, VA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
1Iron
Member # 713

posted 12-29-1999 06:56 PM     Profile for 1Iron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thanks, guys. Took the majority opinion and cracked the box, found the slot, removed the board and took it to my trusty (who are you kidding?) computer expert -- who identified it. As we speak there's a Vodoo3 / 3000 PCI sitting on my desk to be installed ASAP. Appreciate your help. 1Iron
Posts: 33 | From: Versailles, KU USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
tro
unregistered

posted 12-30-1999 08:16 AM       Edit/Delete Post
Hi 1Iron,

the Voodoo 3 PCI is a good choice since Voodoo-cards don't use any of the AGP features anyway. And there are many boards out there (namely Super Socket 7 boards) that have problems to provide enough power to the AGP-Slot to make things run stable.

Well, actually you didn't really have a choice :-)

bye
Razor

IP: Logged
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 12-31-1999 09:23 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Well tro,I'm currently running a V3 at X2AGP that's 533mb per sec data rate which granted doesn't support large textures but equates to
49fps in USAF all textures at PIII and at 1024x768
AGP runs at 66MHz as opposed to 33MHz PCI,
So regardless there is less "bottle neck" as opposed to the PCI option-which regardless of *fancy* 32bit color, the V3 AGP is *very* fast and powerful card and cheap.

Tracer

Posts: 681 | From: Edinburgh,Scotland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.