Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » Falcon 4.0 Archive 1   » Feelings

Author Topic: Feelings
nick moyrand
Member # 214

posted 12-08-1999 08:27 AM     Profile for nick moyrand   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I'll say this and end it here.

Hasbro, do you know what you guys took away here?

Do you guys have any idea how much money, time and dedication I dedicated to F4?

Do you know what it's like to have over 8 grands of hardware in front of you and having the company responsible for this acquisition of hardware just take away the reason for it?

Do you guys know what passion is?, what it's like to overlook monetary considerations just because you love something?

This is coming from a "suit" by the way but not your type of suit, a real "suit", one that understands long term endeavours as opposed to short term, "seasonal" financials.

Being "corporate" entails responsibilities, both financial and human, you lost on both.

You have compromised your reputation by laying off your own at Christmas time, shameful, complete disregard for basic decency, I would not even consider such a decision, this is very, very low and monetary considerations are never good enough excuses for this.

Do you people really believe that laying people off will increase your profit margins?

Ever heard of "loss leaders" before?, maybe F4 and its team didn't produce the expected sales but any forecaster worth his salt could tell you the potential of, not only this sim but the potential of that team.

I wonder what kind of people you are because from what you portray, you are incompetent and heartless, a losing formula that'll catch up with you in the future.

Being corporate, despite the cliches, warrants humanity as well, a show of faith is what makes your folks stand behind you and give their best, Microprose gave their best and yet, you chose to humiliate them by negating their hard work and more importantly, their pride and passion.

I can only hope that no one walks into your board room and starts shooting.

Then again, it happened before.

I have not an iota of respect for the management of Hasbro and your demise would be justified, what comes around goes around.

------------------
Nick Moyrand

Posts: 897 | From: www.lakah-group.com | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
RanRodee
Member # 350

posted 12-08-1999 08:48 AM     Profile for RanRodee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Problem is, as long as Hasbro makes things like Furby and Pokemon and crap like that and still makes a killing, why would they care about the Hardcore simmers out there and the programmers that dedicate their time to those simmers?
Its sad but true, those Corp. beancounters are only in for the big bucks, and not for the dedication of producing high quality for only a few (few compared to the many kids buying Hasbro toys).
Sometimes I wish MPS would have never been bought by Hasbro.

Would be nice to see a "Gathering of Sim-Developers" (like G.O.D. already is) dedicated to nothing but High Quality Sims. Of course, they should be allowed to do their thing and don't have to sit thru BoardMembers meetings explaining week
quarterly results like it is w/ Hasbro now...

Oh well,
just rambling.

RR

------------------
Visit my OklaCity GameDomain
http://home.mmcable.com/ranrodee
IE 4.0 or better / fellow gamers wanted to participate

Posts: 215 | From: Oklahoma CIty, OK, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
eserron
Member # 95

posted 12-08-1999 08:48 AM     Profile for eserron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Nick: I followed you until the line about someone walking into a board room and starting to shoot. I know you weren't suggesting that anyone do something that senseless or stupid, but just reading it made me cringe.

Otherwise, I feel your pain. What gets me the most is that Hasbro is a company whose "bottom line" depends on the "spirit" of Christmas. Given Hasbro's dependence on the Christmas spirit for its revenues, I find it's apparent "bah-humbug" approach to employee lay-offs on Christmas eve to be particularly offensive.

Posts: 73 | From: Oak Hill, VA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 12-08-1999 12:40 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Well said Nick. I can tell you paid attention in your business classes. I was going to buy my wife that new 3d scrabble game. I justed looked at it in the store this morning and it said "Hasbro" on it. I put it back on the shelf. Guess I'll have to find something else made by another company for her.
Posts: 1291 | From: Suttons Bay, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
nick moyrand
Member # 214

posted 12-08-1999 02:43 PM     Profile for nick moyrand   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Big guy, I payed attention to life, classes rarely came into account.

------------------
Nick Moyrand

Posts: 897 | From: www.lakah-group.com | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 12-08-1999 08:51 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Nick; you ought to try EAW. Now, don't get too excited. What you get in the box is just the bare necessities for the sim. With the 1.2 patch you can run the sim at 1600x1200 if you want too. You can download the CFS terrain and fly 30 planes. Now, the one that might interest you is the 262. I just stafed the hell out of a formation of about 30 B17s with the 4 30mm cannons and got shot up by a P38 flying cover. Had to belly land the thing and made it. Take a look at the EAW forum. You can download ECA and fly 150+ aircraft and engage in dogfights with 100+ bandits. There's also custom skins up the butt for all the aircraft. It's a real hoot and it just keeps getting better. The graphics are great and the game is cheap.
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 12-08-1999 08:57 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
That should read 150+ variants of the 30 aircraft.
WOLF257
Member # 410

posted 12-08-1999 11:42 PM     Profile for WOLF257   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Sorry Nick,your looking for human emotions in a class of people that have none.The Wall Street Journel is their Bible and unfortunatly they are legion.It's a shame that the only thing that motivates them is a dollar and they don't care who they step on chasing that dollar.I'm not what you would call hardcore for the simple reason that hardcore sims to me look to much like work.I've got F4 and play on a casual basis because I really don't have the time to devote to learning all the aspects of the sim.I agree with most of the things that have been posted here.F4 is a very impressive piece of work and I felt it had enormous potential.I'm worried now about the impact this is going to have on the flight sim industry in general.With flight sim consumer confidence hitting rock bottom because of the actions of Hasbro and Jane's the suits of various companies might decide they don't want to risk their all mighty dollar on doing a flight sim that might not sell and that will leave all of us,casual and hardcore, with nothing.The chances of Hasbro releasing the code for F4 or EAW are slim to none simply because if third parties started to make add-ons and improvments the suits wouldn't be making that dollar off of it.My heart goes out to the people that lost their jobs and I wish them the best of luck.My thanks to the F4 Team for the dedication and hard work they put into the sim.
WOLF

Posts: 281 | From: Alabama,USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Overkiller
unregistered

posted 12-09-1999 09:35 AM       Edit/Delete Post
Wanna know why kids shoot their friends at school? Because we as a society allow corporations to act inhumane. Corporations with out souls, remorse, or normal ethics. This is what we are allowing, and it shows in our kids. Keep buying Pokemon and Furby and Tickle-Me Elmo. I hope that it's not your kid that gets whacked at school...

PS: This is not directed at anyone here. It's directed at HASBRO and other evil corporations...

IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.